network question

nomak

Limp Gawd
I have ubuntu 7.04 installed and working fine.. I can access my windows pc's on my network from the ubuntu machine but cannot access the ubuntu machine from my windows machine.. is there a simple way of achieving this.. I have tried a guide for a step by step samba.conf edit process but once I get down to the section of creating username and password from the terminal with a commmand line I get errors of failed to change or create password..new to the ubuntu scene and just trying to figure it out.. by the way Im using the gnome version of ubuntu if that makes a difference.. thanks..

as root, (sudo for you) run the command

smbpasswd -a <yourusername>

enter a good password. If nothing bad seems to happen, then try accessing your ubuntu box from windows, and tell us what happens at that point.

The other possibility is to set the shares on your Ubuntu machine to anonymous access through Samba so it doesn't ask for a login or password. Don't ask me how to do that on Ubuntu, though. I'm afraid about the only way I could explain it is if you were using SUSE 10.2 and through Yast.

ok thanks for the suggestions .. I will give them a try tonight..

Try using WinSCP - log into the target machine as whatever user you normally use, and then drag and drop that user's files (ie whatever they have access to) to your heart's content. It's not as integrated as using Windows Explorer, but damn if it's not more reliable ;)

@ whatisname.. thanks.. did what u said.. stopped samba then restarted .. connected rigth away from my xp machine and was able to see my shared folder and access them on the ubuntu machine..

Back