Network pics thread

This is one of the wiring closets for a physicians office that we recently took over. Their old IT company did this before being fired, and the customer refuses to pay for us to straighten it all out.

2011-08-12_12-28-25_878.jpg

This is one of the wiring closets for a physicians office that we recently took over. Their old IT company did this before being fired, and the customer refuses to pay for us to straighten it all out.

2011-08-12_12-28-25_878.jpg

Doctors and Lawyers are some of the cheapest, most frustrating people to work for.

Back in the day I did some work in a big house that had 10 or so lawyers in it. They just kept stringing hubs together till shit broke. :rolleyes:

They actually have VERY nice Cisco switches that are (were) stacked together. Then the switch in the middle died, and they remedied it by moving all 24 ports to the other switches, and then had to start adding 8 port switches once they ran out of ports on the others. That rack is the old T1 Demarc and actually has 2 routers, a firewall, VOIP phone system as well as switches for half the building. We've since switched them over to fiber and are slowly moving everything to a new rack that I don't have any pictures of yet.

I really like on the 3Pars how they are cabled in the back....all nice and tidy. The F series is nice, the T series better, but I'm playing with the V series now too....whoa man.

What's an F5 3900 ?

The F5 load balancer is really nice, and has a boatload of features. I had one at the previous place for our hosting facility. Once I started digging into it, I found that thing could do way more than what the guy who wanted us to get one said it could. Then I figured out that he had no idea what he was talking about.

The F5 load balancer is really nice, and has a boatload of features. I had one at the previous place for our hosting facility. Once I started digging into it, I found that thing could do way more than what the guy who wanted us to get one said it could. Then I figured out that he had no idea what he was talking about.

Those F5's redundant? F5 was king where I worked last.

Yeah, that's actually not terrible. It's not great but I wouldn't go so far as to scream about it.

It wasn't the worst I've seen, by any means. But A) I didn't get the entire shelf in the picture, it got worse at the bottom with Linksys hubs and straight runs. B) I was looking for one cable in 350 unmarked cables & patches that connected to another room... So yes, I screamed a bit.

B) I was looking for one cable in 350 unmarked cables & patches that connected to another room... So yes, I screamed a bit.

yikes,

my coworker makes fun of me because i have a spread sheet of where each patch is cabled to on what switch

mostly because I havent had too luck getting labels to stay on the cables and be readable without removing them

Those F5's redundant? F5 was king where I worked last.

Yes, we have them setup as Active/Passive with connection mirroring, traffic that goes through the active device is "mirrored" to the standby unit, so that persistent session info is retained in case of fail-over.

More new gear, the big boys have arrived - Cisco UCS C460 M2 Servers, each with 4x E7-4870 procs, 2TB of Ram, connected to 2 Cisco Nexus 2232 FEX, which then connect via Twinax to the UCS 6248 FI.

WP_000093.jpg

WP_000089.jpg

More new gear, the big boys have arrived - Cisco UCS C460 M2 Servers, each with 4x E7-4870 procs, 2TB of Ram, connected to 2 Cisco Nexus 2232 FEX, which then connect via Twinax to the UCS 6248 FI.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2015268/WP_000093.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2015268/WP_000089.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Why bring the FICs into a FEX? Why not directly into the 5k or 7k? That's an odd design.

yikes,

my coworker makes fun of me because i have a spread sheet of where each patch is cabled to on what switch

mostly because I havent had too luck getting labels to stay on the cables and be readable without removing them

I have all the cables numbered and also an excel spread sheet, its really hand to have both.

Last edited:
I have all the cables numbered and also an excel spread sheet, its really hand to have both.

what kinda labels do you use?

we have a rhino 6000 and the self laminating ones keep coming off(and yes I cleaned the cables before putting the labels on :) )

it helps that I only have 8 switches at maybe 65% capacity

what kinda labels do you use?

we have a rhino 6000 and the self laminating ones keep coming off(and yes I cleaned the cables before putting the labels on :) )

it helps that I only have 8 switches at maybe 65% capacity

The only real good lable maker I've seen was the heat shrink one's you print on the clear / coloured heat shrink then put it over the cable and use a heat gun poof they stay on.

I've even seen clear heat shrink, and then people cut small paper strips from printed paper with labels and you slide the label under the heat shrink then....

just got my first HP switch, 2510G-48 ! Used to using dell 27** / 28** and 3*** series PoE switches!

Now, what to do with it!

Why bring the FICs into a FEX? Why not directly into the 5k or 7k? That's an odd design.

The goal was to connect the C460's to UCS, not the Nexus 5k's. That way you could manage the C-Series Rack servers via UCSM, the same way you manage the blades.

The Nexus 2000's function the same way the IOM in the chassis operates.

The 5k is a proper switch with it's own "brain" so to speak. The 2k's are "dumb" and require a centralized controller.

The Nexus 2000 is exactly the same hardware used in the IOM in the chassis. They are designed to get configuration and control from an upstream device. Those devices are the Nexus 7000, Nexus 5000 and the UCS Fabric Interconnects.

The goal was to connect the C460's to UCS, not the Nexus 5k's. That way you could manage the C-Series Rack servers via UCSM, the same way you manage the blades.

The Nexus 2000's function the same way the IOM in the chassis operates.

The 5k is a proper switch with it's own "brain" so to speak. The 2k's are "dumb" and require a centralized controller.

The Nexus 2000 is exactly the same hardware used in the IOM in the chassis. They are designed to get configuration and control from an upstream device. Those devices are the Nexus 7000, Nexus 5000 and the UCS Fabric Interconnects.

I know that vito knows all that for a fact... so the question is why not do 10gb directly instead of through a fex where you can have over-subscription problems? Seeing how the FEX's are just remote linecards, plugging into the main switches directly would be exactly the same... without any sort of oversubscription problems.

I know that vito knows all that for a fact... so the question is why not do 10gb directly instead of through a fex where you can have over-subscription problems? Seeing how the FEX's are just remote linecards, plugging into the main switches directly would be exactly the same... without any sort of oversubscription problems.

This is how things need to be set up so that the C460's are part of UCSM, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C460/install/ucsm-integration.html#wp1097077

Before finishing the install I would plug the 10gb directly into the 5548/96's and see what happens :). It makes no sense to me to force someone to uses 2232 FEX's for that. Bad design

... or good design for Cisco's bottom line...

Before finishing the install I would plug the 10gb directly into the 5548/96's and see what happens :). It makes no sense to me to force someone to uses 2232 FEX's for that. Bad design

*Clarification - we are using the UCS P81E VIC, not a Broadcom BCM57711 10Gb card or Intel X520 10Gb card*

The 2232 is the same as the IOM in the chassis, the blades connect to the IOM, which connects to the 6248's. My C460's connect to the 2232 (IOM equivalent), then to the 6248's, I don't see what the issue is, it's exactly the same, you need to connect to a FEX, then to the FI for UCS management.

If the servers were "stand-alone", then I could connect them to the 5k's, but that is not the goal.

Last edited:

You said:

"connected to 2 Cisco Nexus 2232 FEX, which then connect via Twinax to the UCS 6248 FI"

This, to me, says you connected your FICs to the 2232s. My question is why. I get how you're connecting the C-series, but I'm confused as to why you'd connect FICs to FEXes.

Edit: I see now. You're running the 2232s downstream from the FICs. I thought the FICs were downstream from the FEXes. It makes sense now. I've never seen this done before. Our customer typically stick to B-series once they make the initial purpose. I've never seen anyone actually take advantage of C-series management through UCS Manager.

Why'd you go C-series instead of B-series?

If you are looking at the same one I got, make them an offer. Let me know if you get it and need help with it. Mine was a PITA to configure with an IP. I had to make my own DB9 to RJ45 cable from a Cisco console cable.

Touche' this thing is being a bitch. What pinout did you use incase i have to make my own cable here. I am trying the telnet configuration atm to see if I can win.

Ninja Edit.

Ahp! She's aliveeee

Avocent CPS-1610 S/W Version 2.9i

all i did was factory reset the thing, I guess they didnt do that, then do arp -s <IP I wanted> <Mac> and then telnetted right in.

Last edited:
*Clarification - we are using the UCS P81E VIC, not a Broadcom BCM57711 10Gb card or Intel X520 10Gb card*

The 2232 is the same as the IOM in the chassis, the blades connect to the IOM, which connects to the 6248's. My C460's connect to the 2232 (IOM equivalent), then to the 6248's, I don't see what the issue is, it's exactly the same, you need to connect to a FEX, then to the FI for UCS management.

If the servers were "stand-alone", then I could connect them to the 5k's, but that is not the goal.

I'll go dig into more numbers and rates and how the interconnects happen, but its pretty much cisco padding the bottom line from the design they did. I am a Cisco guy but that definitely seems like gauging to me

You said:

"connected to 2 Cisco Nexus 2232 FEX, which then connect via Twinax to the UCS 6248 FI"

This, to me, says you connected your FICs to the 2232s. My question is why. I get how you're connecting the C-series, but I'm confused as to why you'd connect FICs to FEXes.

Edit: I see now. You're running the 2232s downstream from the FICs. I thought the FICs were downstream from the FEXes. It makes sense now. I've never seen this done before. Our customer typically stick to B-series once they make the initial purpose. I've never seen anyone actually take advantage of C-series management through UCS Manager.

Why'd you go C-series instead of B-series?

We had to go with the C-Series because they accommodate 2TB of Ram, the current B440 M2 blade only supports 1TB. There is a B440 M3 slated for Q3/Q4 release that will support 2TB of Ram but we couldn't wait that long.

Tha Ram requirement is for several VLDB's we run in support of e-discovery for large corporate litigations.

More Yealink VoIP action, replaced our receptionist phone (Polycom 670 + 3 Sidecars) because it kept locking up, it was a 650 and it did the same thing. It seemed to not like dealing with all the sidecars + BLF's and would lock up under load. :(

I had to jump into the phone web interface to put the user names in. They did not come down at all so the phone just said BLF and the Ext #. (BLF: 1234) which was not much help.) Also the BLF rock so far on this one.
Red = On Call
Red Flashing = Ringing
Green = Available

Also has the little person icon next to the name with an up or down arrow for inbound or outbound call, which I thought was a nice touch. :D

Touche' this thing is being a bitch. What pinout did you use incase i have to make my own cable here. I am trying the telnet configuration atm to see if I can win.

Ninja Edit.

Ahp! She's aliveeee

Avocent CPS-1610 S/W Version 2.9i

all i did was factory reset the thing, I guess they didnt do that, then do arp -s <IP I wanted> <Mac> and then telnetted right in.

Really? I tried that but couldn't get it to work on multiple computers nor could I get bootp to work.

Back