2012-06-20%2009.24.49.jpg

2012-06-20%2009.25.43.jpg

2012-06-20%2009.26.49.jpg

2012-06-20%2009.27.21.jpg

2012-06-20%2009.27.49.jpg

2012-06-20%2009.28.01.jpg

2012-06-20%2009.28.27.jpg

2012-06-20%2009.28.46.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Speaking of extreme temps, we monitor all sorts of COs, some of these "COs" are actually cabinets on the side of the street. It's common to see temps like 50C (122F) in those, and there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it because it's literally a cabinet sitting in a ditch somewhere. It has rectifiers, batteries, and DMS phone switching equipment and all that stuff actually survives those temps. In winter it will see sub zero temps. When it gets too cold the techs actually shovel snow against it to insulate it. The cold is more bad than the hot.

TBH I never actually seen the inside of one, but I do know they usually have some sort of DMS phone switching equipment. Basically 2 or more T1s feeding in, and individual cable pairs going out to customers. If that goes down then those customers have no phone service. We monitor the data links, the equipment itself and everything is redundant so it's rare one is actually out of service. But that's why they say call before you dig. You could very well hit a feeder going to such cabinet and knock out service to 100 or so customers. A recent incident involved a dethatcher taking one right off the ground. :p The cable slice guys were able to fix it within a few hours surprisingly.

do they have switches in them or just punch downs?

Usually you'll find equipment + a cross connect in these cabinets. Service can be delivered to them in a number of ways from T1/OCx/Ethernet. Here's a picture of one I posted quite a few pages back - a bit blurry though as it was extremely hot/humid when I took it.

img00048201107081743.jpg

If your servers have IPMI you should be able to pull data from your management interface if I'm not mistaken. That's on my to-do list for monitoring as well.

good call.

I can get an IPMI board for that netscreen.....for 25 bucks. which is what I paid for the monster :eek:

atleast if I decided to use it/swap fans to make it quieter I can SNMP the temp info to cacti to watch it I guess....

I assume you are talking about the pic that shows 3 racks, left rack is for 1GB/management aggregation, center rack is all various ASA, right rack is core Nexus 7k.

Got some new gear in for a new building. Trying out some new stuff here we haven't used in the past such as the Unifi AP's and the Dell switch. Price/performance was right on both pieces of hardware so we will see how it goes.

2012-06-27133226.jpg

2012-06-28100914.jpg

audiphilth, I notice one of your labels says ATL on it -- Are you at one of the Sungard facilities there? It looks familiar. That's where we have all of our servers as well.

Got some new gear in for a new building. Trying out some new stuff here we haven't used in the past such as the Unifi AP's and the Dell switch. Price/performance was right on both pieces of hardware so we will see how it goes.
I'm very interested to hear your thoughts on the unifi ap's.

Currently in the process of moving into a new place, but in the mean time I have had to setup at my parents house! And have taken this opportunity to take over the house, rip floor boards up and network the house.

Bought two of the UniFi access points, only the bottom of the range one, but couldnt justify the pro, £232 cost for one!
One of these is going in my parents, other will go in my house.

awy2lgvcqaatip2jpglarge.jpg

And here is it mounted at my parents

dscn0133lb.jpg

As I didn't have room to put my rack in this house, I have had to create a very temporary setup, here is a great example of how to not setup your network!

dscn0134y.jpg

Zero cooling in there, far too close to the mains lines, and basically a massive hazard! But I need it for work so it has to go somewhere for a few weeks

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts who has used both Airport Extreme and UniFi AP. I was constantly maxxing out and killing my Cisco POE AP and heard good things about the AE so took the plunge. So far- really pleased (added bonus of it doubling up as a time capsule / machine too).

I replaced two AE's with three Unifi's. Once they get more then 8-10 devices, they would drop signal and in our case at least- the transmit range sucked.

I replaced two AE's with three Unifi's. Once they get more then 8-10 devices, they would drop signal and in our case at least- the transmit range sucked.

The last part of your post (8-10+ devices dropped signal and trasmit ranger sucking), are you talking about the Unifis or the AE's?

We're replacing a few older AE's with higher density Unifi's - The AE's have substantially better range than the standard Unifi's. Otherwise, I like the Unifi's a lot. I'd say the LR Unifi's are probably closer to the AE's range.

Well, a member on here suggested I change the CPU's in this nice DL380 G5 server to two Intel Xeon L5420 Quad Core CPU's, so I did. Ordered them up, they arrived today.

Now in the back of my head i was thinking yeah ill need to update the bios but maybe not.

So off came the heat sinks, plopped them in and well NO POST! DAMIT.

Plug the original's back in, it posts, to install teh bios update or create the cd / usb, you need windows. So out came with windows 2008r2 cd, installed windows, cool that windows 2008r2 see's the 512mb raid card with out special drivers YAY! instaleld the update file, it created a usb bootable thumb drive.

rebooted the server with the cd in it, and updated the bios.

DSCN0007.JPG

DSCN0008.JPG

rebooted WOLA! it worked, booted windows perfectly.

shut the machine off, installed the new cpu's AGAIN! POOF she boots and works.

DSCN0011.JPG

Machine works great, now to decide if i want to sell it or keep it.

Humm...

sell it, buy the wife a nice dinner and a night out. get future approval to spend cash on "Dash's collection of computer junk" ;)

Dash ive seen that before, those heatsinks dont get that hot, it really isnt that big of a deal. The power supplies and the mass disks in front are the hotspots on those.

Um, not really. I would say its LOUD as Fk & makes more heat than anything LOL!!

WTF is with the cpu fan cable going through the heatsink.....

A sports car makes a bunch of noise and creates heat, and it's still pretty :D

On a serious note, I updated to SmarterMail v10 today, it's pretty nice. I am a bit upset that I don't see the remote wipe feature anywhere in there. I'm wondering if they pulled it at the last minute and did not bother to say anything about it. It's not in the release notes. :(

On a serious note, I updated to SmarterMail v10 today, it's pretty nice. I am a bit upset that I don't see the remote wipe feature anywhere in there. I'm wondering if they pulled it at the last minute and did not bother to say anything about it. It's not in the release notes. :(

Dude I work with just setup 9.4 as a demo for a client. How do you like it?

Dude I work with just setup 9.4 as a demo for a client. How do you like it?

v10 seems fine so far, minor enhancements over v9. However there are supposed to be back end optimization as well. We've been on it since v8, currently with 202 mailboxes and 71 ActiveSync users.

Back