Network pics thread

Here is my custom built IP Camera Server. We have over 70 cheap IP Cameras in the field and this one has software on it to manage it all, stream and record the feeds. I has some storage on it but I didn't needed high-end hardware raid for it so I used the C202 Intel controller for RAID5. If I would have to re-do it, i would made it in a Rack form factor but back then, we didn't thought that we would have racks by now lol.

It's rock stable so far.

Here is the specs:

Asus P8B-X
Intel Xeon E3-1270
8 GB Kingston UDIMM
2 x 500GB RAID1 (OS and Apps)
4 x Hitachi 5K3000 3TB Drives in RAID5 (Bought before the huge price spike yay)
XFX Core 550W Power supply
Fractal Design R3 Titanium (REALLY nice case, it's also quiet).

1.jpg

2.jpg

wryt1l.jpg

First post !! :D

Supermicro X9SCL+-F, Xeon E1230, 16GB RAM. Lab box running vSphere in a box (two datacenters with 3 vESXi hosts per datacenter cluster). ~50W idle.
Switch is a TPLink 16-port unmanaged GigE.
The grey/black SFF systems above it are a couple of PC Engines WRAP boards (Linux Gateway), Monitoring box. ALIX box sharing out 500GB USB disk via Samba.
Looks pretty messy I must admit.

Supermicro X9SCL+-F, Xeon E1230, 16GB RAM. Lab box running vSphere in a box (two datacenters with 3 vESXi hosts per datacenter cluster). ~50W idle.
The grey/black SFF systems above it are a couple of PC Engines WRAP boards (Linux Gateway), Monitoring box. ALIX box sharing out 500GB USB disk via Samba.

How do you like the motherboard so far? I was looking for this specific motherboard for a new project later on.Is the out of band management working well?

How do you like the motherboard so far? I was looking for this specific motherboard for a new project later on.Is the out of band management working well?

OOB Works perfectly. Primary motivation for me to go with the X9SCL+-F over the X9SCL-F was ESXi4.x not detecting both on-board NIC`s. No issues with the +-F though. Finding the board great, low power and silent chassis.

OOB Works perfectly. Primary motivation for me to go with the X9SCL+-F over the X9SCL-F was ESXi4.x not detecting both on-board NIC`s. No issues with the +-F though. Finding the board great, low power and silent chassis.

Exactly the reason I was looking for the + version. Thanks for the input.

wryt1l.jpg

I think your the one that managed our IT stuff before I got to my company by the looks of your rack....looks just like mine before I showed up.

Well, my ram arrived :) 32gigs ddr3 ECC Kingston stuff. X8 stuff NOT X4 :)

DSCN0149.JPG

DSCN0150.JPG

DSCN0151.JPG

Screen%252520Shot%2525202012-01-22%252520at%25252010.08.40%252520AM.png

Screen%252520Shot%2525202012-01-22%252520at%25252010.08.26%252520AM.png

New Storage server will be arriving tomorrow, will post pictures of that tomorrow.

D-EJ915

Nice little mac tucked back in there..
Yeah I love that one haha, it's a bit cranky cold booting (have to turn it on 2-3 times to get video) but it works great for old mac apps. I've got 2 SGI Indys and a Challenge S below it.

Uh oh...I've begun collecting switches again

96_gige.jpg

Nortel...I know why you went out of business...you used straight cable wiring on your switches console ports. Also Force10 is the same way, opposite of Cisco's cables.

Whats the Quadra for?

As prommised :)

Hrere is my new Qnap 410U, bought from MikeTrike, THANKS FOR THE DEAL!

has 4 x 1tb 7200rpm drives, came with rails. Just updated the os on it, and configured it for raid 5 + hot spare..

Soon as hdds come down ill migrate all 4 hard drives to 7200rpm 2tb or 3tb drives.

Pics.

DSCN0152.JPG

DSCN0153.JPG

Rear of the unit.

DSCN0155.JPG

Screws fell out i swear :) ( ok ok ok i always have to see what's in side :) )
DSCN0156.JPG

DSCN0157.JPG

DSCN0158.JPG

What'd you pay for it? (If you don't mind me asking) What's the write/read speed like?

What'd you pay for it? (If you don't mind me asking) What's the write/read speed like?

^ I'd like to know as well, that's not a bad little system.

im not to sure, as the device is WOL! its only a 800mhz single core cpu ( non intel/amd )

Paid 300$ plus shipping to canada..

I was looking for new drives and forgot mike had this for sale each 1tb drive was more than 100$ so i bought this for 300$ with drives :) score..

im not to sure, as the device is WOL! its only a 800mhz single core cpu ( non intel/amd )

Paid 300$ plus shipping to canada..

I was looking for new drives and forgot mike had this for sale each 1tb drive was more than 100$ so i bought this for 300$ with drives :) score..

Ok, better question, does it saturate a gigabit ethernet link for read/writes on large files?

I suppose it would be silly if it actually did do much more than that since everything is over ethernet.

iSCSI Initiator
acRnm.png

Windows Share
0baMO.png

You should be able to, I still have my desktop unit. It's connected to a crappy 8 port Netgear and whatever cat5 cable I had laying around. A good cable that's not flying right by a UPS and a decent switch should put it a bit higher. I tried copying the same file, but the giants exe would copy before I could fire off a screenshot, so it definitely bursts all the way up. It's about the same to/from and from/to as far as the #'s go.

Ok, better question, does it saturate a gigabit ethernet link for read/writes on large files?

I suppose it would be silly if it actually did do much more than that since everything is over ethernet.

Not sure, i will be copying my 6 hyper-v vm's to it tomorrow and testing it all :)

My network config on it is.

Balance XOR balances traffic by splitting up outgoing packets between the adapters, using the same one for each specific destination when possible. It transmits based on the selected transmit hash policy. The default policy is a simple slave count operating on Layer 2 where the source MAC address is coupled with destination MAC address. Alternate transmit policies maybe selected via the xmit_hash_policy option. Balance XOR mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.

it's still working right now.

RAID 5 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 Hot Spare Disk 4 EXT4 1830.85 GB 1830.13 GB Synchronizing(15%)

Someone dropped off 4x Promise vtrak 15100 with 15x 750gb drives. Anyone need some drives? I know he is going to be formatting them this week and selling just the drives.

Not sure, i will be copying my 6 hyper-v vm's to it tomorrow and testing it all :)

My network config on it is.

Balance XOR balances traffic by splitting up outgoing packets between the adapters, using the same one for each specific destination when possible. It transmits based on the selected transmit hash policy. The default policy is a simple slave count operating on Layer 2 where the source MAC address is coupled with destination MAC address. Alternate transmit policies maybe selected via the xmit_hash_policy option. Balance XOR mode provides load balancing and fault tolerance.

it's still working right now.

RAID 5 Disk Volume: Drive 1 2 3 Hot Spare Disk 4 EXT4 1830.85 GB 1830.13 GB Synchronizing(15%)

Sweet, can't wait to see some results!
Never a dull moment when dashpuppy is around. ;)

It may struggle to saturate a 1gig link, my Qnap is a dual core atom, RAID 5 with 4 x 2tb disks and it can just about saturate the 1 gig link.

It may struggle to saturate a 1gig link, my Qnap is a dual core atom, RAID 5 with 4 x 2tb disks and it can just about saturate the 1 gig link.

Just got iscsi working, and mounted, copied a 6.4gig iso to it, it hovered at around 54mb's second steady..

Duno if this will be enough for all my vm's but guess ill have to try..

Then did another test, and it hovered at 186mb/second.. weird..

Maybe because my server has a 2gb teamed link..

Just got iscsi working, and mounted, copied a 6.4gig iso to it, it hovered at around 54mb's second steady..

Try to run a single GbE link and test, iSCSI should use MPIO not teaming. I was able to crash my QNAP by using that teaming crap before. Granted it was an earlier firmware, but still not the proper way to run iSCSI.

Try to run a single GbE link and test, iSCSI should use MPIO not teaming. I was able to crash my QNAP by using that teaming crap before. Granted it was an earlier firmware, but still not the proper way to run iSCSI.

NOt sure what you mean ? Are you talking on the server or the qnap ?

Update on hard drives: Finding out more today, if I find out more, I will link a FS thread. Otherwise, wait to pm'ing me LOL.

Fruit's of this weekends Labor. Hanging for now until the carpet gets installed. I have a 2 post ready to be mounted to floor. Switch gear / ups sitting on my desk. Wifi should be here soon. More to come.

I would like to add if you move. Leave everything patched down and there. Unless you feel like being that big of a dick

IMG_20120124_134824.jpg

IMG_20120124_132501.jpg

you should make an instructional video on how to properly terminate patch panels ;)

1. Strip back Wire
2. Line up appropriate colors
3. Punch down.
4. Do this all while using profane language.

5. Drink Heavily.

Last edited:
I don't think your change on number 4 was fair. There was a lot more than F U that was said while we were patching all of those down.

I don't think your change on number 4 was fair. There was a lot more than F U that was said while we were patching all of those down.

Perhaps this is comparable to what goes on in the mind while performing said actions.

SCdjB.jpg

Or you could do it the electrician way...
1) strip back 3 feet of wire
2) untwist every wire
3) make up your own color code
4) mash them in the punchdown with a credit card
5) laugh all the way to the bank

Maybe im getting really good results then? I setup a RAID 5 system using 5900RPM Seagate ECO drives (6GB/S drives) on a cheap highpoint rocketraid card... I was getting about 80MB/s on transfer speeds over my network (from HTPC to the RAID5 server).

Gigabit switch in my house

Maybe im getting really good results then? I setup a RAID 5 system using 5900RPM Seagate ECO drives (6GB/S drives) on a cheap highpoint rocketraid card... I was getting about 80MB/s on transfer speeds over my network (from HTPC to the RAID5 server).

Gigabit switch in my house

rebooted my 2 biggest running vm's and this was the through put :) ( not maxed out either.

q-nap.png

Rebooted my rdp machine ( s008r2 server ) and my web server 2008r2 web edition.

Or you could do it the electrician way...
1) strip back 3 feet of wire
2) untwist every wire
3) make up your own color code
4) mash them in the punchdown with a credit card
5) laugh all the way to the bank

Ain't that the truth. Latest example I ran into was my own condo. Moved in and found that the jacks in the bedrooms and living room were terminated, but the guy made up his own color code. The wiring panel where all the cables terminate - what was another story. The cables were just left dangling unterminated.

Back