Network Monitoring

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

Courious as to what you guys are using?

I'd like something that can watch the servers/web serves/exchange and let me know if anything stops/suspends/crashes/not responding. Same with the internet connection.

I am un sure what this stuff costs and I think it is safe to say it warrants some cash to be spent.

I have played with praslers network monitor before, is there something else like that, that works? Ideally, I need to know also if the internet connection goes down in 2 locations. It would make responding to things quicker and easier.

Try Zenoss, and or Cacti ( for free )

Zenoss also has a corp version with support.

Di these shoot out an email if something goes down?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Orion by Solarwinds is the top end or just get the engineers toolkit
Nagios, free linux based,

orion at home, quick and easy.

if you want a challenge, nagios is the way to go and the price is always right

proprietary at work, i dont deal with it at all :)

On and off I've been pecking around looking at some....knowing a project was coming up where I wanted to implement this. Well the project is now here starting this month for me, and I think the first one that I'll try is "Groundworks"
http://www.groundworkopensource.com/

I believe it's based on Nagios underneath...with tools implemented to make it a bit easier and more "canned".

I haven't tried that for external connection monitor, but I tried it several times for internet network monitoring and inventory.
I found it horribly slow and incomplete in its scans, as well as the annoying ads (it's ad driven for revenue..lots of affiliate ads in it).

For internal network stuff, Lansweeper rocks
http://www.lansweeper.com/

But it doesn't monitor WAN networks and remote networks...at least not that I know of.

I found it horribly slow and incomplete in its scans, as well as the annoying ads (it's ad driven for revenue..lots of affiliate ads in it).

QFT

We use it for help desk ticketing, but it's at best 75% accurate on the network scan/inventory piece.

I personally like and use opsview at work. Its built on nagios and really easy to customize

On and off I've been pecking around looking at some....knowing a project was coming up where I wanted to implement this. Well the project is now here starting this month for me, and I think the first one that I'll try is "Groundworks"
http://www.groundworkopensource.com/

I believe it's based on Nagios underneath...with tools implemented to make it a bit easier and more "canned".

sorry for old mump, what did you end up going with? Orion was what my last company used, but they were a giant enterprise, and its expensive for a small/ medium size business like this.

Spiceworks, don't look great, i'm thinking OpenNMS might be a good solution.

Zenoss user here. Was easy to setup and the free version works pretty well for what I'm doing with it.

spiceworks
I haven't tried that for external connection monitor, but I tried it several times for internet network monitoring and inventory.

For internal network stuff, Lansweeper rocks
http://www.lansweeper.com/

But it doesn't monitor WAN networks and remote networks...at least not that I know of.

i would agree with this too. it's free though..you get what you pay for.

Nagios is boss here

I haven't tried others but the customization I can do with Nagios seems to only compare with a paid NMS

We use System Center Operations Manager for our monitoring of internal services.

Just my 2 cents... Nagios is the long standing network monitoring tool that has a lot of great plugins - but my god is it a pain to setup. You will spend a good amount of time configuring things and customizing the configurations to accommodate all of your system needs - but once you get things up and running it should be relatively smooth sailing.

Zenoss has a really great looking interface and some nice features - a lot of which seem to improve the configuration ordeal with nagios - but overall it felt as if it was a BIG set of interworking components and I felt that if something went wrong with it I wouldn't feel comfortable troubleshooting with it unless I had spent a few weeks just studying how it all works. I'd say if you have some corp. contract with them it would be a great way to go.

I prefer to stay with something Open source and that you feel like you can play with and really troubleshoot if it has problems. I also enjoy cacti for RRD graphing with SNMP data - and use nagios for ensuring services are staying online.. for me this is a good pair of services for network monitoring.

We use System Center Operations Manager for our monitoring of internal services.

Did they fix all the bugs with that? We were trying it out at one point, but it was a very buggy POS. It hardly worked. The concept seemed nice though.

Zabbix is an option that I don't see a lot of people mention.

Using it here - lots of tweaks, lots of updating... joys of a free product.
When it works it's great... when it doesn't... it's a royal pain.

Also using Solarwinds, and testing some EMC products along with some other unnamed vendor.

I use Xymon extensively (formerly Hobbit). Have ~3000tests running every 5 minutes. Works for me.

Did they fix all the bugs with that? We were trying it out at one point, but it was a very buggy POS. It hardly worked. The concept seemed nice though.

It is working fine for us from what i understand. I am not the administrator of that service so I dont know of any issue they might of had. All I know is that you really need to know you stuff inorder to use it well.

I'm jumping on pandora, looks good from what I've seen so far and its free :)

Nagios and Cacti all the way. I don't think Nagios setups are difficult. If you just do a little bit of reading and learn what Nagios does and how, and have a basic understanding of scripting, you can deploy Nagios very quickly. Also, open source, big community, you can't go wrong there.

http://blog.mjwired.com

Back