Network monitoring software

Warrior

[H]F Junkie
So, I'm going to be going to PDXLAN 18 later this year and its going to be on a huge network. I and a few of my friends like to go to these to leech off people over the 1Gb network. I know I'm going to get leeched off from, and thats fine with me. I'm all for file sharing. But, back in the day (think win98) there was a way to view people that were connected to you over the network, and you were able to see what folder they were browsing on your comp, and what you were transferring to the leech. I have since forgot how to do this for the new windows editions over the years, and I also wanted to know if there was software that could do this as well, if not better. The first software that came to mind was Wireshark, can Wireshark do this?

Wireshark is good for a personal computer but it handles more packet sniffing then monitoring. You can try spiceworks or nagios if you have a linux box

assuming win7 on your rig in your sig, if you rightclick on my computer and click on manage

under system tools is the shared folders menu, in there you can see your open files and active sessions....

personally i'd disable all windows shares and put up HFS if i wanted to share some stuff...

Thats it! That's the way to do it in windows! I knew there was a way. Well that will do for now. Unless anyone else knows a better way. I can't have an HFS at a lan :p

Oh, and Spiceworks is bloated as hell.... :(

Last edited:
Nagios is definitely good if you use Linux to monitor your networks, and it's not bloated like spiceworks.

Yeah, I'm just a Windows guy... I should have got into Linux as a child... but never did.

Back