Network Monitor, linux based?

Nasty_Savage

Fully [H]
I saw something on this awhile back but I can't seem to find it. I wanna put together a pretty full featured monitor for the Win2k3 network at my work, any packages out there you all would suggest? I have SuSE 10 running right now on a spare box, but I seem to recall a network version of TOP in a package somewhere but can't remember what it was. Would entertain any suggestions that would allow me to sniff the network. Thanks in advance :cool:

ntop, dsniff, snort, really depends on what kind of traffic you are trying to see.

Nagios is one of the best for Linux. It's difficult to configure, but worth it in the end. There are a ton of add ons for it. Check out GroundWork. They have a suite that you can install via RPM that includes a bunch of improvements for Nagios.

Teecee said:
nagios or cacti

I will reccomend catci as if you wanan do snmp-polling. Catci has a great community at forums.catci.com

OpenNMS is another option but Catci wins because of the great community they have.

Nasty_Savage said:
...I seem to recall a network version of TOP in a package somewhere but can't remember what it was....

This reminded me of iftop.

You might also look at etherape. I have not actually used it to monitor anything with a purpose in mind, but the graphics are fun.

http://www.zabbix.com
Zabbix is a newer project, not to shabby either. Its got one "stable" release, and the beta seems to be comming along fairly well. It does need some UI work though, as some times it just isn't straight forward as to what needs to be done when your doing some things, and it does let you shoot yourself in the foot when it comes to user permissions, lol.

Back