Network latency

RabidSmurf

n00b
I have a D-LINK WBR-1310

I feel like this router is a piece of crap, if I even open utorrent (Don't even have to be downloading anything) my network goes haywire

My internet connection slows right down
Ping to my vent server which is usualy 50 starts fluctuating between 300 and 2000
Streaming from my media server to my computer doesn't work or is slow and choppy.

I am trying to confirm if this is the router, anyone else have similar issues with this D-LINK?

I am thinking it's time to get a Linksys, anyone have thoughts on what a good one would be? I am thinking WRT54G2, but am seeing mixed reviews.

Note: Wireless not necessary....

Thoughts?

have you tried plugging your computer directly into your modem to verify it's the router?
that's the only way to be sure.

You say you're not downloading, but are you uploading? Do you have any torrents open at all? Even if you're not pushing traffic, you might have torrents open, which are connecting to people and your router might not be able to handle all the connections.

If utorrent is not downloading anything your network should be untouched, no traffic, no nothing.

I should have explained myself better, I meant if utorrent does not have anything in the queue.

As you said, and said before, if it has anything in the queue it will be opening connections.

Hey guys thanks for the input.

I managed to resolve my intermittent streaming issue by simply buying a linksys router, utorrent wasn't helping the situation, but I had issues streaming for long periods of times with utorrent completely turned off.. with the new router it can stream 1080p with no problems while downloading in utorrent and still have great latency to the web

The utorrent issue was better with the new router, but still not great... so to tweak it a bit and get it to the point where I don't notice utorrent is on I had to:

Turn down max upload slots to 4 per torrent
Turn down max connections to 300
Limit my upload to 30kb/s

These changes didn't seem to have a huge impact on my download speed, might've reduced it a bit.

None of the things I found on the web that suggested doing things like turning off resolve IP or DHT or LPD, had any affect, so I've left that stuff on.

Thanks for the input...

Back