network issue

crustybooger

Limp Gawd
I'm having issues between two computers on our small office network. We have around 40 devices on the network, network sharing works fine on all devices but 2. So computer A can see/modify files on computer B but computer B can't see computer A on the network at all. Both computers A and B have no issues with any of the other computers on the network. All computers are running at least windows 7. Any Ideas?

sounds like sunspots

how are they accessing each other, i presume with windows share, but how, by name, by IP address? what happens when you run the ping command with the names or addresses

do you have simple file sharing enabled on A, it may be firewalled as well, other computers on the network can get to computer A just fine?

sounds like sunspots

how are they accessing each other, i presume with windows share, but how, by name, by IP address? what happens when you run the ping command with the names or addresses

do you have simple file sharing enabled on A, it may be firewalled as well, other computers on the network can get to computer A just fine?

They're all accessed by name, and the two computers can ping each other fine. all the other computers can read/write to A without issue and file sharing is enabled on it.

So when you say it cannot see the other system, is it a case of looking at explorer and not seeing it show up in sharing, or have you tried to type in a specific address like //computerA/temp or something?

So when you say it cannot see the other system, is it a case of looking at explorer and not seeing it show up in sharing, or have you tried to type in a specific address like //computerA/temp or something?

It's not showing up in explorer, I can manually type in the address and that'll allow me to get to the shared folders. We thought that was ok but the issue were having is all of our CAD/CAM, 3D printers, water jet and laser milling software license dongles are connected to computer B(our server). So 10-15 times a day the user of computer A will try sending a design file to computer B, the file shows that it's updated on computer B and all the other users on the network can see the updated/changed file but the user on computer A. We know there's a connection since none of the software on computer A would work without accessing the license dongles on computer B.

It's a big hassle for whoever is using computer A since they would then have to switch computers, export the design file and then import the file back to make additional changes to the file that they were working on.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Sounds like you need a WINS server, to handle this, if you are running a domain setup the wins on that, else use a linux with a samba on it

Back