network issue

moose517

Gawd
Hi guys, have a minor problem with my new home network. I recently added a linksys WRVS4400N router to my network, placed the verizon modem in bridge mode. Got the connection all squared away and all PC's can connect to the internet However in the LAN some PC's cannot see other PC's and there are some PC's that can see all PC's, network discovery is enabled on all computers as well. In the network map diagram all the computers will show but when in the network locations only a select few will be there. Any ideas as to what the problem could be. If you guys need i can get a full network diagram around if you need to see that.

Try enabling netbios over TCP in advanced TCP/IP settings
Any 3rd party software firewalls involved?
Do you get replies if you ping the IPs of the PCs you cannot see? If so, try pinging by name and see if you get replies.
Probably something a little wonky with the TCP stack/winsock on those PCs, or a master browser issue.

not sure how to enable netbios over TCP, i followed a link on microsoft support but didn't see it where they listed it.

3rd party firewall, i have norton on my computer. Disabling didn't fix mine, matter of fact i can see my mom's laptop, but can't ping by either name or IP, same with my dads, and i can ping my server but can't see it....

Also i have the verizon provided modem's Lan ip address set as 192.168.1.1, and the linksys router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 as well with the whole network on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet. Will having that set like that cause problems? If anything couldn't i just set the verizon modem to like 192.168.2.1 so that i don't have to go change all my static IP'd devices on the network.

And while i also have you guys here, i'm needing help with the wireless. I have setup 2 wireless SSID's with the intention on running 2 vlans here as soon as i get a new switch. I have the encryption set as WPA2 and when computers or other devices connect it works fine, but when i try and connect my ipod it won't allow me to connect to either of them even if the password is correct, the only way it will connect is if there is no password at all, even tried just WEP to check and it wouldn't work.

I'm gonna draw out a network diagram and i'll post it up when i get it done, including current IP's for all computers and stuff. For some reason i feel that the linksys isn't wanting to play nice with the d=link switches i have, as before i got the linksys the network would actually crash and it seemed they were behind the cause. Hope thats enouugh to get a start on this, its rather annoying, i think the network was better before i added the linksys LOL.
HTML:

alright, finally git a diagram complete took me longer than i thought LOL. i left out 2 ipod touches because the won't connect for some reason,
network-1.gif

Back