Network, Firewall, VPN?

-Cryptic-

Weaksauce
So I have my network now and im on a LAN line from the router to a powerline adapter that goes into a switch in my room and into my comp. My question is would adding a firewall network device like the watchguard ones have any benefits to my side of the network. Also what are some of the safest or most secure network encryptions?

The reason I ask is because what i'm looking to do is set up a survalance system at my house and have it record to the dvr but have the dvr send the recordings straight to my file server. Also I want to be able to access all the files and cameras from my main comp which is why I think I need a vpn. I dont have a file server yet or the survalance stuff basically im wondering how i should approach this?

router - Lynksys WRT54GC
powerline adapter - NOVATECH NV-225W Powerline Ethernet Adapter
switch- DLINK DES-1105

It sounds like you're in over your head. Either way, you would put a firewall between your network and the internet; which it sounds like you already did with a router. If you want surveillance equipment on your network, it would connect to one of your network ports or would directly connect to a machine that transmits it over the network. It will all depend on what software you use as to how the data will be saved. No VPN is neccessary.

unless the robber sneaks in and taps into your home network (which would defeat the purpose of the suveillance system) encryption on the LAN is not needed.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but for just mere (network) webcams with 24\7 recordings and what, 5 users? You really don't need anything more than a standard switch and a firewall. It's a relatively simple network. You sound like you need to do a bit of research as well. I'm sure there would be plenty of information on Google for network surveillence systems. :)

NETWORK, FIREWALL, VPN????

Please don't SHOUT in thread titles!!!!!!!!

Back