Network File Server Backup

melteye

[H]ard|Gawd
I am setting up a Network File Server for a lab of about twenty scientists who all need to store their data on a file server. This server needs redundancy (raid) but also needs to store the previous days data seperately in case they need to revert to yesterdays data.

What software would you recommend to do this?

Even built in NTBackup that comes with Windows can perform that just fine....if all you're doing is copying files to a different location.

It might be useful to you to do incremental backups, in which case I would highly recommend rdiff-backup, though really it's only viable if you use a *nix filer.

Otherwise many tools can do a simple scheduled mirror every night. I'd recommend either robocopy (free in the Windows Server resource kit) or Unison. Write a simple script to do the mirror and use Windows' built-in scheduling tool.

If this is important data though and not just for data processing, you need a proper backup strategy as well. You might be better off posting this query in the Data Storage Systems forum.

Some of the data that will be stored is five to ten years of research, so it is very important that no errors are made.

I would additionally recommend that the data be archived on separate media, since it seems pretty important. You may also want to do some off site backup as well as having detailed backup disaster recovery plan. What OS are you using?

Do people actually backup their stuff to a remote location? I do it, I just want to know how common it is.

Even built in NTBackup that comes with Windows can perform that just fine....if all you're doing is copying files to a different location.

You might also think of using Volume Shadow Copy for keeping previous versions of files.

Back