Network dropping

MaMMa

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a wireless router in my brother room with cable internet. Everytime my brother gets a call on his cell phone, the whole network drops. Both wireless and wired. That's what he's telling me. Is this possible? If so, what can I do to fix this?

He has the Sony Ericcson w800i. The router is a Linksys WRT54GX.

edit: Just confirmmed that this is true.

TIA,

MaMMa

I could maybe see the wireless side, but the wired side?

Sorry. I got no answer for this one :)

-Larry

I have a wireless router in my brother room with cable internet. Everytime my brother gets a call on his cell phone, the whole network drops. Both wireless and wired. That's what he's telling me. Is this possible? If so, what can I do to fix this?

TIA,

MaMMa

Does proximity matter?

I mean...does the network go down when he gets calls in the next room? Across the room from the router? It's pretty common knowledge that cell phones can induce a signal on speakers; I just demonstrated it to a coworker this morning. I'm wondering if you've got the bad luck of the signal inducing noise inside the router. The range for that would be pretty small...usually no more than a few feet...so it's easy to test.

I had a similiar problem where the wireless connection would be good for awhile and later it would just go south for no reason. Took me about a week to get it figured out. The phone and the router are working on the same frequency. 10 to 1 you have channel switching on the phone. Try different channels or get another phone with a different frequency. The reason it took so long to diagnose is it wasn't my house and the phone ringer was cut off. I never heard the phone ring when the internet went down. Give it a try

I had a similiar problem where the wireless connection would be good for awhile and later it would just go south for no reason. Took me about a week to get it figured out. The phone and the router are working on the same frequency. 10 to 1 you have channel switching on the phone. Try different channels or get another phone with a different frequency. The reason it took so long to diagnose is it wasn't my house and the phone ringer was cut off. I never heard the phone ring when the internet went down. Give it a try

Don't cell phones operate on another frequency than the 2.4GHz and 5GHz? I wanted to say it was the wireless phone then re-read the post and saw it was a cell phone...I'm perplexed too :confused:

Yeah, sorry all I saw was "wireless" and "phone" and completely missed the cell part. No clue now.

is the internet connection itself dropping or the wireless and wired connection? Check in the router status page

I am still connected to the router but the internet drops. When my bro gets home I'll do some further testing. Thanks!

is the internet connection itself dropping or the wireless and wired connection? Check in the router status page
Question...

TIA,

MaMMa
Answer

Solution? I'm confused too. :confused:

Back