Network/computer + torrent issues

Bartosz

n00b
I have a 4mbps connection, 512kbps up and I am connected via 22mbps wireless. DI-614+ 11mbps @ 22mbps and the corresponding 22mbps card.

I can download things very very fast normally, max speed etc. But latley when ever I start a torrent client (I've tried Auzures and ABC, ABC actually hits a nice speed, Auzures just stays at 20kb/s MAX for all torrents combined) It starts to download and all, things are good and soon after (10-20 minutes) the torrents die, and my internet/network connection dies. I can't get on any sites, I can ping the router in most cases, but can't access its HTTP page. The only way I can fix this is to either restart the computer or the router. The moment I turn on a torrent client my speed seems to drop down to 56k speeds even though the torrents are using no where close my max up or down, and as I stated the whole connection dies slowly.

I am fairly sure this is a router/wireless issue as my fathers computer is ok throughout all of this from what I've seen yet my PDA can't connect to the network unless I restart the router.

Help :(

forward ports 6881-6889
(any in that range, each singular port open to an IP = how many torrents you can run at once)

6881-6883 to pc1
6884 only to pc2 thats not used much but just in case.
etc

Forwarding ports will let BT run faster, since the protocol is intelligent - other clients can see how much data you're pushing out, so if you're not sharing fast enough then they will give you a pittance in return. However, the second part of the issue with the router freezing is classic with BT and other applications that use many connections simultaneously. Either upgrade the firmware or buy a new, more robust unit.

i jsut came here to ask the same question as bartosz and see that it already has been answered.

however i dont know how to forward ports to my pc.
i have a linksys router split between 2 pcs, Xp-pro, and 3mb cable

if u can tell me how to do it with some in depth explanations that would be appreciated :D

***EDIT***
i read this guide but i dont think it works for cable coz in my network section all i have is LAN
http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/#ports

***EDIT***

The linksys manual has detailed descriptions and images of what you need to click and where.

k ill have to look through it

btw i have ICF disabled, so doesnt that mean that i laready have these ports opened?

I had the same problems with bittorent. This is what I did and now I get nice speeds. Torrents will always start out slow (from my experience) and then pick up towards the middle as long as there is a decent amount of seeds.

This page should tell you exactly what to do to foward bittorent through the ports you need. (Ports 6881-6889)

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1347

I always have ICF on unless I am d/l with bittorent then I turn it back on after i am done. After you foward it through these ports you should get better speeds, but make sure you let the whole torrent d/l instead of just 2 minutes worth and assuming it is still slow. They almost always pick up for me to about 200kb/s-300kb/s.

Originally posted by laxjax13
i jsut came here to ask the same question as bartosz and see that it already has been answered.

however i dont know how to forward ports to my pc.
i have a linksys router split between 2 pcs, Xp-pro, and 3mb cable

if u can tell me how to do it with some in depth explanations that would be appreciated :D

***EDIT***
i read this guide but i dont think it works for cable coz in my network section all i have is LAN
http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/#ports

***EDIT***
Here is the FAQ page for fowarding ports for linksys routers, they dont have the FAQ showing you exactly how to use it with bittorent, but it should be pretty much the same.

http://www.linksys.com/faqs/default.asp?fqid=38

k thx illcheck those links out tomorrow when i have time coz im going to bed now.

the fastest ive dwonloaded a torrent was 60 but i average around 30-40, so all my torrent downloads are done when im out or sleeping.

I believe the latest Bit-Coment is UPnP, so get a UPnP router and enable UPnP in XP by adding the windows networking component through Window add/remove programs.

It should now forward the required ports automatically. I use Azureus so do them manually.

I have the DI-604 and i mostly have this issue when on DC++, its like the router automatically resets itself, all computers lose network connectivity for about 20 seconds, then they come back online.. Still havent founda fix for it.. But I do know that it mostly happens when in DC++. not sure about BT for me

What operating system are you running off of? I know in windows 98 (and probably ME) theres an issue with having too many connections going on at one time. I've run into this problem myself, if too many downloads are happening at once, my connections bombs out.

If all else fails, try limiting the number of connections bitTorrent uses. I know its default setup is to use a LOT.

or is it somehow possible to force my PC to have higher bandwith than my sisters.

i have 3mb cable between 2 pcs.
my sister only surfs the net and uses AIM on hers so she doesnt need that much i guess.

so is it possible to set so that i get like 2mb and my sister only 1 or soemthing like that?

If you and your sister are both setup over a router, it doesn't split the bandwidth until its being used. Example:

You have 3 megs downstream. If your sister isn't doing anything online, you get all 3 megs. If she starts downloading at 500k/s, you have 2.5 megs available to you. Basically, she only gets what she uses, and the same for you. I don't think you'll have any issues there.

As for the slow download speed...

On cable modems, you have lots of downstream and very little upstream. I think its like 30k/s upstream. If you are using all your upstream, you'll get weak downstream.

Example :

You have 3 megs downstream, and 30k upstream. If you are transfering upstream at 15k/s, you'll now have 1.5 megs available downstream. If you are transfering 20k/s upstream, you'll now have 1 meg downstream.

If you are maxing out your upstream, you'll get very slow downstreams.

BitTorrent operates by sending out the part of the file you've already downloaded to your computer to other people trying to download the same thing. By default its set pretty high to send out data, and is probably maxing out your upstream.

Set the max upload speed to like 5-10k/s and see what happens.

thx for the tips Direwolf20, i never new those things.
a lot of the time my upload is at around 30kb, how do i maek it so my max is around 10 ?

im using bittorent 3.4.1
i might just use bitcomet like someone already suggested if this doesnt get fixed

I think with Shadow's client you can set it even lower. The default client (probably the one you are using) doesn't let you really set it much lower.

Search for Shadow's Bit Torrent

I also use shadows experimental client, I like it the best so far. I have found while using it I get the best speeds if I put it on the Dialup/ISDN setting because I will not max out my upload speed. I can usualy get pretty good speeds with it. I tried the bitcomet last night and got decent speeds with it but I didnt like it as much, I guess its just personal preference.

Back