Network Card Problems... Need Advice

psynotic

Weaksauce
Hey everyone,

I have a friend who is currently having difficulties accessing the internet. He is sharing his internet connection with two computers via a router, and the strange thing is that his other computer can access the internet through the router. I have checked to see if his network card was disabled via device manager and all the hardware is reporting just fine. However, when I try to ping 127.0.0.1 it states that a connection cannot be made. I also tried ipconfig /renew and /release, but the computer just hangs when I try to do it.

On a side note, he also states that when windows starts up and shutdowns it takes a long time to do so. (e.g. when windows boots it does not show any icons and the task bar and after one minute then it shows everything) He is currently running a virus scan on his computer.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

His Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
MSI K8N Neo
512 MB PC3200
ATi Radeon 9550 256 MB
Samsung 80GB Sata
Liteon DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
Floppy Drive

What os? xp service pack 2? Ive heard reports of the built in firewall stuff stopping pings to locahost. If not its most likely a tcp/ip stack problem. Uninstall tcp/ip and the ethernet card from the computer and re-install. that should fix it.

/edit
by ethernet card i ment drivers.. no need to open up the computer.

Back