Network attach storage

camay123

[H]ard|Gawd
Can I get a recommendation for a Network attach storage (NAS) device ?

How does network client access the nas ?

How does network client access the nas ?

I can't help much with the first question because I don't have too much experience with them, but we have ours set up so that all users who need access to the NAS view it as a mapped network drive. It also has a web interface for configuration purposes.

Home or corporate?
Amount of storage you want/need?
How often will your storage requirements increse and by how much?

Budget?
Amount of users?
Info about your current infrastructure? (Amount of servers,network info,etc)
Support? (Onsite vendor support or will you/someone else be supporting it?)

If this is for your home disregard the last 4 questions.

Home or corporate?
Amount of storage you want/need?
How often will your storage requirements increse and by how much?

Budget?
Amount of users?
Info about your current infrastructure? (Amount of servers,network info,etc)
Support? (Onsite vendor support or will you/someone else be supporting it?)

If this is for your home disregard the last 4 questions.

This is Corporate. But we are going pretty much no server at all. Meaning our setup will be :

Internet connection
Sonicwall firewall router /dhcp
20 users on windows xp prof.
Hosted exchange
hosted web interface for our office software.

We would still like to have a drive , in house, common to all, in order to exchange data, rather then using the 500 megs provided with hosted exchange. That way, we will be on 100mbps lan and not going through internet.

Our needs would be around 50 gig.

I'd go with the Terrastation Pro over the Home version.

You can get the 1TB Terrastation Pro from CDW for $650 compared to the 1TB home version for $630 on Amazon.

The 1TB Pro has support for AD but it appears you won't be running a server.

Another benefit of the getting the 1TB Terrastation Pro is that it comes with Memeo Autobackup software, so you can have the users backing up their workstations to the NAS if you decide to do that. After putting the drives in Raid 5 you will have maybe around 680GB available. So you have quite a bit of spare space to work with.

And if you are doing a lot of traffic to it you might want to look into upgrading your network switch if it doesn't already support at least 1 GBE port.

This is Corporate. But we are going pretty much no server at all. Meaning our setup will be :

Internet connection
Sonicwall firewall router /dhcp
20 users on windows xp prof.
Hosted exchange
hosted web interface for our office software.

We would still like to have a drive , in house, common to all, in order to exchange data, rather then using the 500 megs provided with hosted exchange. That way, we will be on 100mbps lan and not going through internet.

Our needs would be around 50 gig.

how do you plan to backup this data without a server?

^^ Yeah you definitely need some sort of tape backup or some kind of backup where you can take the media off-site to protect or something.

RAID is NOT a replacement for proper backups; it merely provides a bit of fault tolerance that means nothing if something catastrophic happens to the drive array and it's destroyed (building fire?)... Gotta have some kind of DR plan.

Data on this disk is by far not critical.

Our critical dat is located on servers, back at 15 mins interval and then every 24h.

This network attach storage will be like a gathering point, a common folder for all people.

But now, that I think of it, we probably have an old server that could still act as common drive for all.

Back