Network a Wireless comp to a non wireless comp

Deezus

Gawd
Hey guys.

I tried hunting through here for this one, seems so simple.. No luck, close, but not exactly what I need help for.

Here is the deal. Cable modem is dead for the second day ( thanks cable co ) and my machine up stairs has a wireless NIC in addition to a regular NIC. Had the wireless card for about a year since my neighbor gave it to me. He's some network head who travels across the state to do set-ups.. If he was here, I wouldn't be asking this.. anyway. I talked to his wife and asked if I could network up with them while my modem issues get sorted. No problems. So I get it all set-up, get a "decent" line to them and all is well.. for the machine upstairs.. which is my wifes PC.

So what I want to do.
Use that PC's secondary NIC to route the good ol internet to my PC downstairs. The CAT 5 is there, I just need to know how to configure the hardware.

Help?

No kidding? It's THAT easy??

I have no idea if that works. I was actually hopeing for someone else to come and suggest something else. It was more of a bump, really. Try it though, see if it works.

Step 1, get a connection on the wireless NIC. Then use Internet Connection Sharing.

Yeah did that. Then I tried to share and it keeps saying there is an IP conflict. Something seems the net card is trying to get the same IP as the wireless../shrugs

I'll just wait until my cable modem gets worked out tomorrow.

Then manually assign each adapter a different one...or wait. Less to undo later that way.

Nope, bridging will work. Might be having problems but that's how you'd do it. Bridge the wireless and wired interface, and use a crossover cable from wired nic on the bridge to the second machine's NIC. Not the most elegant solution but that is the solution from the scenario as you've described it.

Where's a 50' crossover cable when you need one.. heh

Thanks for the replies all.

Cut one end off and recrimp. Buy a coupler and couple the existing copper run with a short X-over. keystone jacks. lot of ways to make that work.

50 regular cable, use a coupler, and make a simple 1" - 12" crossover, connect the three, VOILA! 50 crossover that easily converts back to regular cable.

edit: didnt read the post before mine, same idea, sorry for the post.

did you turn off the dhcp service on your router? unplug the cable modem from the wan port of the router?

Gonna have to save this thread for future use if I keep having problems. ;)

thanks again

Im not using a router in this instance.

And wouldn't you know it. I have 3 crossover cables at work and a coupler.

Will see tonite if I get it up and running. Oh and I was finally able to bridge the wireless and wired NICs on the one machine.

Back