Netgear XS505M SFP+ port not working?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
I have a Netgear XS505M switch and have been using it for a few months via the RJ-45 copper ports only.

Today I connected it to my Unifi 24 port switch via the SFP+ port and this cable. I get no lights on either switch and no connection. I tried a second cable of the same brand that is working fine beween the Unifi switch and my Unifi PoE switch = same result. I also tried switching ports on the Unifi, no difference.

This is my first time to use SFP cables so am I missing something here? The manual for my Netgear switch lists the AXC761 as the recommended cable but I'd rather not spend $50+.

Any ideas or suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You've got the right type of cable, but the Netgear switch just might not be playing along with it.

You could try buying the other TwinAx cable that's recommended to see if it works and return the others, I'd recommend fs.com - https://www.fs.com/products/39660.html - this is the AXC761 compatible one.

The other option would be to buy 2x 10G-SR ($15 ea.) with an LC-LC fiber cable.

https://www.fs.com/products/12345.html
https://www.fs.com/products/40180.html
Thanks for the info. I’d like to try that cable but they want $13 to ship a $10 cable. Hmm

I have a Netgear XS505M switch and have been using it for a few months via the RJ-45 copper ports only.

Today I connected it to my Unifi 24 port switch via the SFP+ port and this cable. I get no lights on either switch and no connection. I tried a second cable of the same brand that is working fine beween the Unifi switch and my Unifi PoE switch = same result. I also tried switching ports on the Unifi, no difference.

This is my first time to use SFP cables so am I missing something here? The manual for my Netgear switch lists the AXC761 as the recommended cable but I'd rather not spend $50+.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I know zero about that switch, but are those ports possibly disabled by default and you have to enable in the GUI/CLI? Have you tried using the same cable, but connect the switch to something else besides the ubiquiti? Also do the same test between the 3rd device and the ubiquiti itself to try and narrow down exactly where the issue is.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I know zero about that switch, but are those ports possibly disabled by default and you have to enable in the GUI/CLI? Have you tried using the same cable, but connect the switch to something else besides the ubiquiti? Also do the same test between the 3rd device and the ubiquiti itself to try and narrow down exactly where the issue is.
Well it’s an unmanaged switch so I don’t know where I would go to enable them. Also I don’t have any other devices with SFP besides a second unifi switch and I already tried that. I would like to get a SFP port card for my pfSense router and connect to the net gear switch that way so I’d free up the 4th copper port. I may try that and see what happens.

Back