Netgear router, WEP connections doesn't work for me

calikool

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been having a touch time trying to get my wireless laptops connected to my netgear routher. Here is what I'm using:

Netgear MR814v3 (latest firmware Version 5.4_06)
Under wireless settings I have channel 6
WEP -- 128bit encryption and negotiation is on Open System. (I've tried automatic and shared as well)
You can generate a passphrase and then get 4 26 character strings to use as your network key. I've used each of them.

Both the wired and wireless MACs are in the MAC access list and it is currently disabled right now.

Here is the scenario. Router works, wireless works without the encrytion. The DHCP server assigns the appropriate address to my labtop using the wireless connection when all security (WEP, 64, 128 or WPA is disabled)

Once I enable the encryption I set up my laptop with the appropriate channel, and enter in the 26 character string. The SSID is broadcasted, I can see the network. The laptop connects wirelessly, goes throught he "Aquire addrees" and always comes back with the lamo 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address. We all know this means there was a problem negociating the IP address.

I've also taken the 26 letter key, copied it to notepad, saved it onto a flash drive from wired computer connected to the router. Then used the EXACT character string that is in the router just to make sure there are no thick fingers.

Frankly, I'm not sure why I can connect to the router but always get the windows assigned 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address. When I run ipconfig, my gateway of course is the router IP LAN address but I cannont communicate.

Now, things I have not tried are setting the encryption settings and then powering off the router, and then turn it back on and connect to it. I am going to try that later but as of right now, I can't connect.

Any Ideas?

i just had a bitch of a time getting my buddies router to work with his wireless laptop... i officially hate netgear.

I couldnt get it to work regardless of whether or not WEP was enabled, until I eventually stumbled upon the setting where by default "add list of approved something blah blah"

basically, it had a feature where you had to manually add some information about the laptop before it would allow it to connect. Dont remember exactly what or where in the console it was... but look closer.

Well, thanks for the information, I'll drill down the menus some more but the only thing to add as a device the MAC list.

I tried setting up the WEP and then saved the settings. Saved the key to a file and saved it onto the laptop so there would be any mistatkes. I've also saved some WPA keys to try.

So I turned off the router, rebooted, and then still the same thing happens. WEP connections see the gateway IP and I get the 169.x.x.x address. When I try to use WPA connection with a 63 character key, my laptop tries to adquire an IP three times. But it fails all all three.

I simply turn all encryption off and I can connect without a hitch.

Netgear stuff with WEP, its tricky. Make sure you are entering your Network KEY, into the WEP KEY area, not the WEP Passphrase area. Simple mistake that some people go through.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah I just used random text for the passphrase and had the 4 keys automatically generated.

Well after getting some food in my belly I tackled the router again. It would seem that going from secured to un-secured doesn't really require you to turn off the router and reboot your machine.

This time I decided to ditch the WEP and do the WPA-PSK or whatever and grabbed a giant key from that Here Then I set all the settings on the router. And turned it off. During the reboot process I also rebooted the wireless PC.

After doing that I suppose the router had time to figure out what the hell it was doing and I could connect using WPA-PSK like a charm. Too bad it took so damn long. Netgear are little bastards but this model is working fine now.

Back