Netgear R8500 vs. Asus AC86U

SickBeast

Limp Gawd
Which do you guys think is the better router overall? The Netgear appears to have much more raw bandwidth, but the Asus has a faster CPU. So VPN and USB storage will be faster on the Asus, but the Netgear will have better wifi.

I currently own both of these routers. Which one of them do you think I should keep? Which one would I get more money for on the used market?

TIA for any insight.

Just a comment about ASUS. They recently totally f---ed over a friend of mine about a motherboard repair. The board would asccess only two of four memory slots, so he sent it in for warranty repair. This board was brand new, ouot of the box into the case. Long story short, they said it was, "bent pins" and wanted to charge him like $120 fore the repair. So we both called ASUS support, talked to several levels of management. they all said the same thing, which amounted to "tough nuggies." I did some searching on this board in the motherboard forums and even posted a query. Turns out that "bent pins" is a frequent excuse for ASUS not to honor a warranty. That plus horrible customer support in general.

So from now on, all my builds will use Gigabyte or MSI motherboards. And no more ASUS GPUs, etc. Unlike my friend, I spend about 300+ on a motherboard and about the same on a GPU.

Just saying.

Asus+repair+kit+cant+say+ive+never+gotten+to+this_f24822_5331115.jpg

Fuck Asus.

Yeah I'm not a fan of Asus either when it comes to their warranty "service".

I have done some testing and I have concluded that the Netgear R8500 is the superior router overall. The only advantage the Asus has is a faster CPU which is mostly inconsequential to me. I find the Netgear gives me faster wifi speeds and that's what matters to me, along with double the raw bandwidth.

Thankfully the R8500 is still working after three weeks so hopefully Netgear has finally sorted out the quality control issues. This is my third one. If this one fails I will try for a refund.

Back