NetGear R7000 cant do 1gbit WAN

SvenBent

2[H]4U
Mt netgear R7000 running on advanced tomato 1.40 (newest) seems to be unable to kick the WAN port to 1gbit mode.

my ISP recently upgraded me from 100mbits to 500mbit. was informed to restart router to get the new speed.
I restarted but still caped at 100mbit.
Went into the router and can see the wan port only gives me 10 and 100mbits options.
What am I missing here ?
is it just shitty part in the advanced tomato firmwared cause the R7000 is suppossed to be able to do 1gbit on wan

It's a fiber optic connection from the local electric company

What modem is being used? Two options here, the firmware on the Netgear or the modem port don't support 1G.

I have the same router and 500mbps internet. Tomato does software based NAT or whatever it is called. You need to use a firmware that has hardware based acceleration. For that you can use the merlin firmware. That's what I use and can get over 500mbps throughput over WAN.

What modem is being used? Two options here, the firmware on the Netgear or the modem port don't support 1G.
Modem Part is on the ISP its not my equipment. I just get in the rj45 plug. maybe the cable from modem to my router is not able to do 1gbit

I have the same router and 500mbps internet. Tomato does software based NAT or whatever it is called. You need to use a firmware that has hardware based acceleration. For that you can use the merlin firmware. That's what I use and can get over 500mbps throughput over WAN.

Thank you do you have a link to merlin firmware?
it doesn't feel like a NAT cause I can see the port status just shows 100miit in advanced tomato. but at least know i know it supposed to work.

I'm thinking Cable or Firmware is stopping the WAN port from going to 1gbit

Modem Part is on the ISP its not my equipment. I just get in the rj45 plug. maybe the cable from modem to my router is not able to do 1gbit

Thank you do you have a link to merlin firmware?
it doesn't feel like a NAT cause I can see the port status just shows 100miit in advanced tomato. but at least know i know it supposed to work.

I'm thinking Cable or Firmware is stopping the WAN port from going to 1gbit
xvtx.ru/xwrt/

It wouldn't be a cable issue. Speed is auto negotiated between the modem and router ports during boot. If you look up the modem info, you should be able to see what speeds are supported on the LAN port.

It wouldn't be a cable issue. Speed is auto negotiated between the modem and router ports during boot. If you look up the modem info, you should be able to see what speeds are supported on the LAN port.

Fwiw I've had the cable turn out to be the issue. I have a weird cat6e run that passes continuity + wiring tests but simply cannot run higher than 100bit. It's worth trying a different cable.

Back