NETGEAR Nighthawk X4 - $150 walmart/160 Bestbuy (can price match though)

lyang238

Gawd
Stumbled upon this deal while searching for some routers. Great deal on a great router.

This is price match guaranteed at BB so you should be able to get it for 150 too.

Walmart - http://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-N...19909581031153595963&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

Best Buy includes $25 gift card - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...lack/8255311.p?id=1219320177176&skuId=8255311

EDIT: I went to BB yesterday to price match Walmart @ 150 and was also able to get the $25 GC effectively making it $125 + taxes. Make sure you go for the V2 version with MIMO since they physically changed one of the radios making it potentially dd-wrt compatible.

Last edited:
I have the nighthawk x6 and I think the original nighthawk r7000 is still probably a better router. I'd rather have either of those over the x4. Nice price though.

I have the nighthawk x6 and I think the original nighthawk r7000 is still probably a better router. I'd rather have either of those over the x4. Nice price though.

Only really to stop me from "upgrading" from my R7000, why would you say that?

I'm also curious to why you would say that. As an owner of the r7000 if there is a good reason for avoiding the x4 I'm glad I did!

I have no idea why he'd have issue with the X6 over the Nighthawk but for reference the X4 is an R7000 (Nighthawk) with an extra antenna added to it. The X6 is last gen high end and the X8 is their next gen router with amplified antenna on the 5GHZ band's (for additional range).

The only thing I can think of is maybe he experience issues with the new firmware? I set one up for my parents but I've never used it, they are super non-power users though. :D

I will say that both the X6 and X8 are extremely over priced.

It wasn't until recently the my R7000 started to become stable again with firmware updates. And no, I didn't do DD-WRT or any other custom firmware because I simply don't want to fiddle with it. I bought mine for $89 on the Walmart snafu earlier this year and have no reason to upgrade, but for some reason routers just seem to always give me that itch where I want to buy and try a new one. Of all things my wife would kill me over it is unreliable connections you think I would leave well enough alone.

It wasn't until recently the my R7000 started to become stable again with firmware updates. And no, I didn't do DD-WRT or any other custom firmware because I simply don't want to fiddle with it. I bought mine for $89 on the Walmart snafu earlier this year and have no reason to upgrade, but for some reason routers just seem to always give me that itch where I want to buy and try a new one. Of all things my wife would kill me over it is unreliable connections you think I would leave well enough alone.

I did the same, but I bought 2; one for me and one for a friend. I've never had issues with the firmware on it or the GUI although it is a bit ... consumer lol.

I would love to get a router with more hardwired ports, I did happen to pick up a nice switch for about $100 and figuring it out :D.

From someone who sells these routers repeatedly. I would recommend staying away from the X4 and X6. Almost three years from their release and still one star reviews popping up now-a-days. They tend to be very unstable. Random droppage of the 5, random speed slowdowns. I've even had colleagues with these routers have the same issues. Also a pretty high return rate on the X4/X6 as well as the qualcomm equivalent models (Asus AC2400, AC3200). It's hit or miss. Some people have luck. But a decent chunk are just plagued with problems.

If you realistically need an upgrade. You would need to look at the X8, from netgear, or the asus AC5300 and AC3100. All of these models are using a new generation broadcom chipset and have been rock solid.

I can't tell you how many times I've read on DD-WRT forums of peeps dropping from a R7500 or R8000 down to a R7000 for stability reasons. Hence why I also use a R7000.

Saw this and was about to go pick it up but im glad I read the replies here first.

I am on a Linksys Router that is horrendous...

I have no idea why he'd have issue with the X6 over the Nighthawk but for reference the X4 is an R7000 (Nighthawk) with an extra antenna added to it. The X6 is last gen high end and the X8 is their next gen router with amplified antenna on the 5GHZ band's (for additional range).

I did not know that, thanks for the info!

I will say that my 3 antenna R7000 has been rock solid for almost 2 years now. Not kidding you I've had to reset the thing maybe twice sense setting it up.

Saw this and was about to go pick it up but im glad I read the replies here first.

I am on a Linksys Router that is horrendous...

Linksys is not the beast is use to be =P. I wouldn't give a Belkin router to a client ever =P. Although there WRT series routers are actually quite good. Although a bit more expensive considering you can just get a ac1750 Asus or AC1900 Asus/Netgear at a cheaper cost.

Planning to upgrade to a AC5300 in the near future. But honestly...Stay away from the X4/X6, and Asus AC2400/AC3200. The amount of returns we have at frys on these models is staggering.

My R7000 with stock firmware has worked phenomenally for me. I'm running a Netgear AC1450 router as a DD-WRT client bridge (basically a 5 port wireless switch) and I am getting 200 megabit transfer speeds from my file server, which is hooked up to the R7000.

The only thing I can think of is maybe he experience issues with the new firmware? I set one up for my parents but I've never used it, they are super non-power users though. :D

I will say that both the X6 and X8 are extremely over priced.

The r7000 still ranks as basically the best router

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

I picked up a Nighthawk X4 for $149 on a one day Amazon sale in November. It has been rock solid for me so far.

The big, big, big thing to know about the Netgear X4 AC2350 is that there are two versions. Version 1 was released in September of 2014 and is based on a Quantenna chipset. Probably about 99% of the X4 reviews out there are based on this model. By many accounts it has issues dropping the signal on the 5 GHz channel. It was also originally advertised as a unit that would support MU-MIMO with a firmware upgrade. Over a year of firmware upgrades, etc. and it still doesn't support MU-MIMO. People on the Netgear forums are very frustrated over this unit. Apparently Asus has some similar issues with their equivalent Quantenna-based router. This seems to be largely a result of Quantenna not having their act together and the router manufacturers being at their mercy.

In early Summer 2015 Netgear appears to have thrown in the towel on the Quantenna version and decided to release the Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Version 2. This model is based on a Qualcomm Atheros chipset. In other words, the model number may be the same (heck, even the SKU is the same) but it's a totally different unit. One of the biggest differentiating things on the box is that the badge in the upper right corner says "Now supports MU-MIMO technology". That's your best indicator that you have Version 2. That's what I got from Amazon. Now, I'm not going to say that you can't find any complaints about V2 (is that true for any router?) but it is much more of a challenge than finding complaints on the V1.

It's a little bit of a crap shoot from an online retailer as to which version you will get. I figure that high volume retailers will have sold out their V1 stock and moved to the V2. It's also my impression that the much better pricing we are seeing on the X4 of late is because the V2 isn't as expensive to make. That said, it appears to be a much more reliable model than the original.

Im gonna drop by best buy to check it out. Hopefully they carry the the V2's. Wish they would have changed number in model number or something.

Got 30 days to return it anyway.

It does indicate it on the side of the box on top. It will say "R7500v2 along with the "Now supports MU-MIMO technology"

Wal-mart indicates out of stock, will BB still price match?

I just bought this from amazon for $148. I wanted to pair it up with my R7000, making the 7000 a wireless bridge or repeater.

Doesnt look like there's any custom firmware available though, and connecting my R7000 to the R7500 as a client bridge or repeater bridge causes all sorts of issues. Anyone know if/when ddwrt/tomato/openwrt etc. will be available for this?

Back