Netgear Nighthawk R8000 no longer responds to IP address 192.168.1.1

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
My LAN is 192.168.1.xx with the router on 01. The last few days, the router does not display any sort of web page, let alone a login using either firefox on my PC or Safari on my iPad. With EDGE, the browser insists on doing a definition lookup, rather than trying to connect to the IP address. Routerlogin.com does not work either. However, I have no problem pinging to this IP.

1657253691321.png

So what is going on here? The last thing I want to do is a factory reset.

If a reboot does not work, can you connect on it via ssh to restart the webservice via cmd line command ?

Sometime the ability to display the webpage fail even if everything else still work and that can fix it.

If a simple reboot doesn't work, I suspect it has been malware'd. Lots of issues with this lately unfortunately. :(

If this is the case, you might still be able to salvage your settings before factory resetting it. Turn it off and unplug everything from it. Do not plug in the wan and plug in only one system wired to it, no wifi. Boot it and see if you can log in, print to pdf each of the settings pages so you have it and then factory reset it. Once you've factory reset it, update the firmware offline (dl it and then upload it manually from your 1 connected system), the reboot it and re-input your settings and then restart again one more time to check it over and then give it the wan. If when you give it the wan, it starts to act like this again, it's compromised and you'll need to read up if there's a way to salvage it.

If a simple reboot doesn't work, I suspect it has been malware'd. Lots of issues with this lately unfortunately. :(

If this is the case, you might still be able to salvage your settings before factory resetting it. Turn it off and unplug everything from it. Do not plug in the wan and plug in only one system wired to it, no wifi. Boot it and see if you can log in, print to pdf each of the settings pages so you have it and then factory reset it. Once you've factory reset it, update the firmware offline (dl it and then upload it manually from your 1 connected system), the reboot it and re-input your settings and then restart again one more time to check it over and then give it the wan. If when you give it the wan, it starts to act like this again, it's compromised and you'll need to read up if there's a way to salvage it.
Even though I did not need to do any of this, I'm still saving these posts for future reference.

:)

Even though I did not need to do any of this, I'm still saving these posts for future reference.

:)
I'm glad a simple reboot did the trick. Isolating a bad router is a real pita. :eek:

Yeah, I've learned pretty quick that routers are flaky pos most of the time and rebooting fixes the problem almost half the time.

Wait in 2022 you posted on a message board about an issue with an electrical device without trying to reboot it first ?

That's a; did you really connect your device level.

Wait in 2022 you posted on a message board about an issue with an electrical device without trying to reboot it first ?

That's a; did you really connect your device level.
Yeah, I did.:nailbiting:

All I can say is that we just had family visitors, and the grownups really needed to get onto WiFi at the same time as their very young children were creating mayhem. I should have known better. I guess I panicked. :notworthy:

Yeah, I did.:nailbiting:

All I can say is that we just had family visitors, and the grownups really needed to get onto WiFi at the same time as their very young children were creating mayhem. I should have known better. I guess I panicked. :notworthy:
Separate router for visitors that you plug in when you need it wired to your main one--problem solved. :D

Separate router for visitors that you plug in when you need it wired to your main one--problem solved. :D
I actually could have done that. I have old routers just sitting in a box in the garage. I keep telling myself I should just throw DD-WRT on one or two of them, but something else always seems more urgent. There is also the question of which version of DD-WRT to use, including the "tomato" versions. I just wish there was only a single release for each router model or router chipset, so that slows me down.

So many devices to flash with new firmware, so little time. :ROFLMAO:

I actually could have done that. I have old routers just sitting in a box in the garage. I keep telling myself I should just throw DD-WRT on one or two of them, but something else always seems more urgent. There is also the question of which version of DD-WRT to use, including the "tomato" versions. I just wish there was only a single release for each router model or router chipset, so that slows me down.

So many devices to flash with new firmware, so little time. :ROFLMAO:
Lol, if it's for basically a separate network and it's behind your main router, it could be running a completely wide open hackable firmware and it wouldn't matter since it's not exposed to the Internet. Plus, if it's only plugged in when guests arrive, the chances of a successful attack would be very minimal due to the very narrow surface area. :)

Your router likely has guest network wifi options built in. While DD-WRT is great and all, it can be slow to get patched on some models and unless you use the added functionality, is not always worth it.

be better off building a small PFSense firewall and put that in front of everything and just use VLANs behind that and turn your Netgear in an AP

Your router likely has guest network wifi options built in.
Yes it does.

While DD-WRT is great and all, it can be slow to get patched on some models and unless you use the added functionality, is not always worth it.
I have always thought of DD-WRT as something to do to extend my tech knowledge. Plus have my upstairs systems connected to the downstairs router via a bridge. Years ago I had an old DL-1510 (IIRC) that had a great bridge mode, but that device died of old age. Now the upstairs systems are connected to the router via wifi, which means that when I back up some upstairs systems to the "backup server" I have very poor performance compared with the old Ethernet-based connections.

It all comes down to lack of enough time for all these tech projects. since I'm not an IT guy professionally.

be better off building a small PFSense firewall and put that in front of everything and just use VLANs behind that and turn your Netgear in an AP
For me at least, that's a bunch of learning curves.

But to return to my original post, the issue here was inability to log into the router. The inability to get the guest passwords was just a consequence of that.

I have always thought of DD-WRT as something to do to extend my tech knowledge. Plus have my upstairs systems connected to the downstairs router via a bridge. Years ago I had an old DL-1510 (IIRC) that had a great bridge mode, but that device died of old age. Now the upstairs systems are connected to the router via wifi, which means that when I back up some upstairs systems to the "backup server" I have very poor performance compared with the old Ethernet-based connections.

It all comes down to lack of enough time for all these tech projects. since I'm not an IT guy professionally.
This is an ideal situation for powerline adapters. And you'll know in 5 minutes if they will do the job or not. (y)

This is an ideal situation for powerline adapters. And you'll know in 5 minutes if they will do the job or not. (y)
Sounds good. Can you recommend a model? Do these operate only point to point, not or can they do multi-point?

They are point to point but I believe you can add a 3rd. Put you can just add a dumb mini switch to give you more ports.

Sounds good. Can you recommend a model? Do these operate only point to point, not or can they do multi-point?
I've found the TP-Link TL-PA9020P to be really good. They were about 4x as fast as my Netgear 500av ones in the same install configuration. You can also pick them up at your local Best Buy and if they don't work as expected, easy peasy return:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-lin...ine-starter-kit-white/5687904.p?skuId=5687904

Oh and they operate multi-point so they'll work point-to-point if you just have two, or you could have them everywhere and they become like an extension of the lan.

Last edited:
I've found the TP-Link TL-PA9020P to be really good. They were about 4x as fast as my Netgear 500av ones in the same install configuration. You can also pick them up at your local Best Buy and if they don't work as expected, easy peasy return:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-lin...ine-starter-kit-white/5687904.p?skuId=5687904
Sounds like a great choice.
Oh and they operate multi-point so they'll work point-to-point if you just have two, or you could have them everywhere and they become like an extension of the lan.
An added benefit. I read the entire questions and answers question, and several answers made this point. So now I have to think about where I could use an extra two adapters. (Garage, on the same master power panel? Master bedroom? Dining room?)

Much better than stringing more Cat 5 or Cat 6.

Sounds like a great choice.

An added benefit. I read the entire questions and answers question, and several answers made this point. So now I have to think about where I could use an extra two adapters. (Garage, on the same master power panel? Master bedroom? Dining room?)

Much better than stringing more Cat 5 or Cat 6.
I've used even older ones between panels in a commercial environment, but then had a pair barely work through a wall in one of our past apartments, so these are really something you need to try first before planning anything out. And for speeds, they're on par with 100Mbps wired, possibly 200Mbs, but nowhere near gigabit. If you want gigabit, moca is the tech you want.

S
I've used even older ones between panels in a commercial environment, but then had a pair barely work through a wall in one of our past apartments, so these are really something you need to try first before planning anything out. And for speeds, they're on par with 100Mbps wired, possibly 200Mbs, but nowhere near gigabit. If you want gigabit, moca is the tech you want.
Sure I would "like" to have MOCA, but that would require moving around in the crawl space below my house. And I really mean crawling, because there simply isn't enough height to even sit up.

On the other hand, this TP-Link TL-PA9020P product seems pretty simple to install. Plus, it would allow me to install an Ethernet hub for the home office upstairs, big win right there, for things like backups from various systems to the backup "server." [my desktop]. And the idea of putting the Roku onto a "local" wifi, instead of wifi across the entire length of the house, etc., that's also attractive.

Funny how this thread started out with an issue about the WiFi router no longer responding to its IP address, and look where it's gone. :)

S

Sure I would "like" to have MOCA, but that would require moving around in the crawl space below my house. And I really mean crawling, because there simply isn't enough height to even sit up.

On the other hand, this TP-Link TL-PA9020P product seems pretty simple to install. Plus, it would allow me to install an Ethernet hub for the home office upstairs, big win right there, for things like backups from various systems to the backup "server." [my desktop]. And the idea of putting the Roku onto a "local" wifi, instead of wifi across the entire length of the house, etc., that's also attractive.

Funny how this thread started out with an issue about the WiFi router no longer responding to its IP address, and look where it's gone. :)
That would only be if you have to swap out a splitter or didn't have a direct coax run between the points. I've used a barrel connector in my current apartment and connected the moca that way.

Powerlines are the simplest install. Plug them in and they work or they don't. Moca is pretty much the same, but you have to make sure the cable is correct first.

Yes, definitely attractive to do that--especially if you have an old router than that can be that switch and access point. :) And I believe these tplinks also have 2x ports on each unit so if you only need one extra ethernet port somewhere, they solve that issue as well.

Back in the day when 500av was the fastest, actiontec made a set that had a tiny 1-port 500av on one end and a bigger 4-port 500av on the other. I used that for many years before some sort of power issue took it out, but it was definitely a neat device. :) Much too slow in the face of the current standards, but was neat.

That would only be if you have to swap out a splitter or didn't have a direct coax run between the points. I've used a barrel connector in my current apartment and connected the moca that way.

Powerlines are the simplest install. Plug them in and they work or they don't. Moca is pretty much the same, but you have to make sure the cable is correct first.
I have splitters installed in at least two places, because of the way that the cable enters my house in the basement, and the way that cable is routed to different rooms (and floors) in the house. At least one splitter is located in the crawl space, which is a pain in the neck place to work. I thought I was going to have to do MOCA, and I kept putting it off. If/when/ever I need 10Gb throughout the house, I'll have to deal with that issue, but not now.

Following along on this thread, let's say I install one (or maybe two or three) powerline adapters in different parts of the house (and garage?). I'll need a WiFi signal in two of these locations. I have old routers that will still do WPA2 for security. But here is my unknown. Should I/can I use the same SSIDs that my main WiFi router serves up, or do I need distinct SSIDs?

Out of curiosity, am I trying to do a DIY mesh network, at very low expense, using equipment not designed for that purpose?

I have splitters installed in at least two places, because of the way that the cable enters my house in the basement, and the way that cable is routed to different rooms (and floors) in the house. At least one splitter is located in the crawl space, which is a pain in the neck place to work. I thought I was going to have to do MOCA, and I kept putting it off. If/when/ever I need 10Gb throughout the house, I'll have to deal with that issue, but not now.
Gotcha. Yeah, definitely one of those things you get to only when you need to. And 10Gb over moca may not be too far away since 2.5Gb is already here.

Following along on this thread, let's say I install one (or maybe two or three) powerline adapters in different parts of the house (and garage?). I'll need a WiFi signal in two of these locations. I have old routers that will still do WPA2 for security. But here is my unknown. Should I/can I use the same SSIDs that my main WiFi router serves up, or do I need distinct SSIDs?

Out of curiosity, am I trying to do a DIY mesh network, at very low expense, using equipment not designed for that purpose?
In my personal experience with access points, it's always better to just give each an individual ssid. Why? Because it's nearly impossible to get seamless roaming with a hodgepodge of access points on the same ssid without a lot of tuning, and is just better to manually switch to the one that's going to work.

Now that being said, if there will be no signal overlap between the main and these 'satellite' access points, then by all means keep it the same since the signal will completely drop and then be picked up again. It's when trying to set up seamless roaming with overlapping signals that it becomes a nightmare...

In my personal experience with access points, it's always better to just give each an individual ssid. Why? Because it's nearly impossible to get seamless roaming with a hodgepodge of access points on the same ssid without a lot of tuning, and is just better to manually switch to the one that's going to work.

Now that being said, if there will be no signal overlap between the main and these 'satellite' access points, then by all means keep it the same since the signal will completely drop and then be picked up again. It's when trying to set up seamless roaming with overlapping signals that it becomes a nightmare...
SamirD

There would definitely be overlap between the main and the satellie access points, except maybe in the garage. That tells me I need to set up some more SSIDs, which is no problem.

We tend to be replace phones and tablets infrequently, maybe every five years. My main laptop is a 2016 design, but I'm planning to replace it in 12-18 months. So faster WiFi or faster ethernet speeds aren't that important right now.

SamirD

There would definitely be overlap between the main and the satellie access points, except maybe in the garage. That tells me I need to set up some more SSIDs, which is no problem.

We tend to be replace phones and tablets infrequently, maybe every five years. My main laptop is a 2016 design, but I'm planning to replace it in 12-18 months. So faster WiFi or faster ethernet speeds aren't that important right now.
Gotcha. Yeah, unless you're transferring large amounts of data like to a nas or something like that, even 100Mbs is fast enough as most Internet transfer speeds are far below that. It still irks me that I have 50Mbps upload speeds and the max upload I see on certain sites I use is 350kb/sec, ie 2.8Mbs/sec--pitiful. Unless I massively parallel uploads, I'll never hit my 50Mbs.

Gotcha. Yeah, unless you're transferring large amounts of data like to a nas or something like that, even 100Mbs is fast enough as most Internet transfer speeds are far below that. It still irks me that I have 50Mbps upload speeds and the max upload I see on certain sites I use is 350kb/sec, ie 2.8Mbs/sec--pitiful. Unless I massively parallel uploads, I'll never hit my 50Mbs.
Agreed. And some software download sites also have very slow speeds.

Agreed. And some software download sites also have very slow speeds.
I would go far enough to say that most are slow. I have nearly 1Gb of bandwidth at two sites and still never see downloads exceed 15MB/s, ie 120Mb/sec. There's just too many slower/limited hops along the way. The 'information superhighway' has become the information 'driving through the neighborhood'. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I would go far enough to say that most are slow. I have nearly 1Gb of bandwidth at two sites and still never see downloads exceed 15MB/s, ie 120Mb/sec. There's just too many slower/limited hops along the way. The 'information superhighway' has become the information 'driving through the neighborhood'. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well here is a bit of history for you. When the Interstate Highway system (USA, for non-US readers) was planned in the 1950s, one idea was that you could drive coast to coast without encountering a single traffic light. That didn't happen. And there are plenty of tolls along the way.

Well here is a bit of history for you. When the Interstate Highway system (USA, for non-US readers) was planned in the 1950s, one idea was that you could drive coast to coast without encountering a single traffic light. That didn't happen. And there are plenty of tolls along the way.
Hmmmm...I think if you pick the right paths it would be possible. But you're going to need an auxillary gas tank like I saw that was installed in an Audi R8. :eek:

Back