Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Router $136 @Staples AC FS YMMV

243 views and no comments? Jeez.

Thanks OP. I picked this up. Lets see how it does against my Netgear 3700v2 with gargoyle firmware.

I got in with a $30 off special offer but didn't order it. I am happy with my ASUS RT-N66U running Shibby's Tomato and don't really have any need for 802.11ac right now.

Damnit. I've been waiting for a another good deal on one of these and it's OOS :(

Had it in my cart last night but bailed because my current router does just fine. How much of a "difference" do these $200 routers make?

Had it in my cart last night but bailed because my current router does just fine. How much of a "difference" do these $200 routers make?

You're not paying primarily for the features, you're paying to buy into a *very* dedicated user support community who border on obsessive in regards to squeezing every penny's worth of value out of their $200 routers.

You're not paying primarily for the features, you're paying to buy into a *very* dedicated user support community who border on obsessive in regards to squeezing every penny's worth of value out of their $200 dollar routers.

It has some pretty nice single drive NAS features though, as well as Time Machine support.

This has been the best router I have ever used. Haven't touched it or restarted it since setting it up.

It has some pretty nice single drive NAS features though, as well as Time Machine support.

Seeing as this is what I bought mine for, I'm happy to hear this. I'm just waiting for a good deal on a 4TB USB 3.0 HDD.

This has been the best router I have ever used. Haven't touched it or restarted it since setting it up.

Same here. Very happy with it.

Machine to machine transfer speeds are excellent (average around 108mBps) as is WiFi range and signal strength and it brought my latency for Steams IHS down to epic levels. It also handles constant bandwidth from multiple machines without breaking a sweat (Plex to multiple machines while streaming a game in Steam) My only real beef with it is the firmware kind of sucks. It's feature rich, but some things don't seem to work (or very well).

For example, I use the NetGear OpenDNS filtering parental controls as we have 2 kids in the house. There's a netgear utility that will let you login to an exempt account so parents don't have to deal with it. With the newest firmware, I could only log in on my phone and laptop. My desktop wouldn't let me for some reason (said it didn't detect a NetGear router). Reverting back to an earlier firmware fixed it.

This router is also supposed to turn any printer into an airPlay compatible printer. I got it all setup, and could see the printer as a device on my iPhone, but it wouldn't work. Guess this is a known issue (figures)

I'm also not a fan of NetGear being so select about who they let beta test their firmware. All in all though, it's still a badass router. I'm sure these things will get fixed in time.

I hear Kong's build of DDWRT is pretty good. I'm probably going to use that when I get the router.

Looks to be back in stock, automatic discount still popping up, so still a good deal at $165.99

so I have a wrt"whatever" cisco router for DHCP leases along with a Ubiquiti Unifi AP for wireless access. What advantage does this have over that setup? I can't imagine range...

No real advantages if what you have already works. It is nice to have if you like bells and whistles and want to update equipment witll all the new features like 801.11ac. It's got good range, but even with 3 antennas 5ghz has trouble reaching my couch 50 feet away through 5 walls and in a fairly congested condo complex. the Usb 3.0 port on the router is very nice and I am surprised how fast it is. Testing the transfer speeds I can get 31MB(248 megabits) write and 50MB(400 megbits) read off an old sata II hard drive I plugged into a USB 3.0 enclosure as a makeshift NAS. Do I need any of this? no, not at all. But it is much nicer than my 13 year old non gigabit microsoft router that only did wireless G(which is now my wireless ap in the living room).

Loving the NAS speeds on this. My USB 2.0 hard drive is getting 25MB/s write.

Back