Netgear Dummy Gigabit VS Dell webmanged Gigabit...

I'm wondering if switching from a Netgear GS108 to a dell PowerConnect 2708 would increase some of my network speeds. It seems the GS108 misnegotiates speeds between it and router.

What do you guys think?

for what purpose? home or business?

honestly, i wouldn't worry about it. i have two gs108's and a 24-port gbE netgear (don't rememer model) that feed into a gs116 that i can image 27 systems at once with GhostCast, and i have fewer problems with the netgear than the Intel 480T that sits near the image server.

on basic testing, i get an average of 45MB/sec transfers over a gs116 machine-to-machine... can't complain much there.

to give the 480T credit, it has some issue with either software or hardware failure.

Well, if it mis-negotiates the speed, and gives you a 100 Mb/s connection when it should be a gigabit connection, and if this link matters (i.e. fast traffic is going through there), then yes, it will probably be worthwhile to consider an alternative. In addition, if the switch is broadcasting excessively, this can lead to a performance problem, esp. if some links are 100 Mb/s.

But when the above two cases don't apply, then IMO there's no indication that the Dell will give better performance -- I've compared similar switches myself and found no material performance difference. These switches can do wire speed.

i didn't think of that. everything i use is gigabit, every desktop and the image server, all the switches, etc. not much negotiating when everything runs on "rabbit".

however, my experience says for a home or small network, the netgear stuff is just fine. i have killed a few 8-port linksys gbE "soho" switches though :)

Back