Netflix’s “The Witcher”: Henry Cavill Cast as Geralt, Minority Sought for Ciri

no not really, you ever listen to him? or you just take the word of the leftie labels?

Yes. I first saw him when I watched his AngryJoe BFV response. He's your run-of-the-mill outrage monger that's rampant on Youtube these days. He and others like him make their living by finding things to get triggered and offended by.

its only appealing to a small % of the western audience and they are forcing it down everyone elses throats.
and I find it funny that you only seem to pop in and take jabs instead of contributing.

Maybe their metrics are better than your anecdotes and they say it would appeal to a wider western audience and be more profitable? Studios have been doing this since the beginning of time. Or is this a case of the shoe being on the other foot and not liking it?

I've been playing games for almost 30 years I don't think I've ever gotten so wrapped up in the minutiae of a game to get triggered like so many of the fine people on HF do over this stuff. That includes abominations like the Mario movie or the Ninja Turtles movie. Lashing out at everybody when maybe the real question should be why so serious?

If people are going to parrot 'stick to the source' as one of the talking points they should acknowledge the source who says he's the only canon and your game isn't even a real story. Get triggered by that.

Let's say they want to adopt the Luther TV series to the big screen. And they send out a casting call that says the role of Luther should be filled by a white Caucasian actor. We'd be up in arms about that too. Would you find that funny too?

I'm sure that's been done for a long time as an unspoken rule. If they thought it would sell better as a business decision motive it would be fine I should add.

Fortunately, we don't need to guess. In Denmark, the Danish Statistics Bureau published stats on migration. Including crime:

https://www.dst.dk/Site/Dst/Udgivelser/GetPubFile.aspx?id=20705&sid=indv2017

Go to page 104, table 6.7. Migrants of non-western origin have a crime index of 135, and 252 when looking at their descendents.

These numbers hide something though. It includes the chinese, vietnamese and so on.

On page 108, you can see the table of indexes by country of origin. Libanese men are 2.56 times as likely to commit a crime as a native dane. And their kids.. Jebus...

Then, when you look at the actual crimes committed (not in this report though), you will see that its violence and rapes.

But at least we don't have to guess. The Royal Staticians are very well trained.

I don't read Danish...which, statistically speaking, you have likely inferred. But thanks, I guess?

Immigrant crime is under-reported or in some cases not even investigated for fear of inviting racism. That doesn't mean immigrant crime is disproportionate. And frankly it doesn't even matter. Every crime should be reported and handled equally regardless of the perp's identity. That's the problem, not whether immigrants cause more or less crime than natives.

That may well be...but that wasn't what was being argued. Seems kinda beside the point, no?

To think this is anything more than a political play is to ignore the lore ramifications. Now they have to address her parents, their respective kingdoms, etc. The director said she would keep her politics out of it, but now we're looking at a retcon of entire races or kingdoms to allow changing a character that has deeper background story ramifications than pretty much any other. It likely indicates they don't know the material and they're just going to be pulling story-lines out of their backside, probably end up a terrible bottle episode show like the majority of sitcom trash on TV now.

Funny enough, she was already a woman, you'd think having the most powerful character in the established universe as a woman would make them ecstatic as is. The Witcher series is already highly progressive in the number of strong female characters it has, and instead of thinking how cool that is, and just making the show in earnest, they have to screw with it and likely turn it into a heaping dumpster fire.

They tried this with 2 other popular book series shows and both of them crashed and burned because you didn't recognize the universe anymore. It has this effect where the show/movie feels like plagiarism. Either make something original, or don't screw with established canon. Notice how the overwhelming majority of Rocky fans loved Creed? That's because you made an original story with a minority character in the lead, a good one, that didn't take a dump on the legacy of the originals. They didn't Frankenstein something fans loved into a political pet project. Ghost Busters, exact opposite. They plagiarized pretty much the entirety of the original, shot it full of SJW garbage and turned it into a poor parody.

The good news is this continued BS will cause the expedited death of SJW culture, as the investors watch the ramifications of the trend on their bottom line. The bad news is we're going to lose our chance at some great shows because they refuse to honor the material the first time, and nobody is going to gamble on a second.

I loved Altered Carbon. Race and sex did not really matter in that show, because of the body switching at whim possible in that story. The primary antagonist was, at various times in the show, a 10ish year old white girl, an asian/eastern european girl/woman, a black man, and a white woman. The primary heroine was hispanic, her partner was a muslim that had catholic friends and he died a hero, the protagonist, was an asian/euopean boy/man, and a white man. The show pushed all sorts of SJW concepts. But you know what, I was fine with that. You know why? It was entertaining, and I had nothing invested in any prior lore or canon that may have existed prior to watching the show.

The Witcher is not like that. There is existing lore, there is a massive existing fan base, and there are preexisting expectations for any Witcher property. If the show is not being made for the current Witcher fans, who is it being made for? Ciri is one of the most powerful beings in the Witcher lore, why couldn't the SJW's just be happy that it was a woman, even if she is white? It is like they set out with the intention of failing so they could blame "bigots", and the "alt-right" whatever that means, and "manbabies".

Agreed. Like this guy's MTG stuff too.

Thing is, if you (when) they make Ciri a person of color (Asian, African...ect.) They are going to have to make her entire bloodline including Emperor Ehmyr of color also, which fucks up the entire storyline.
32102691_2068843220106368_1500869844776517632_n.jpg

This series will fail, and I hope it does.

That may well be...but that wasn't what was being argued. Seems kinda beside the point, no?
It is the point. Since the exact measures they take to avoid bias, fuels bias even more. Because immigrants get preferential treatment. And each time a group gets preferential treatment it ignites the racism.

And I'm starting to take on stupid sjw talking points, as "immigrant" is not a race. So it's not even racism, it's plain disdain, fueled by the state treating immigrants differently.

So what's actually besides the point is whether immigrants commit more or less crime per capita.
It is the same as asking do people below 5'10" or above it commit more crime? Who cares.

Last edited:
I'm sure that's been done for a long time as an unspoken rule. If they thought it would sell better as a business decision motive it would be fine I should add.
Show me one example where your imaginary rule prevailed. Where they took an established character (or characters). Changed their race and or gender. And the resulting product got better ratings than before. Just one.

Starbuck. You can do it if it's got artistic direction behind it; I don't think that's the case here.
OK I give you that.

Regardless that I think BSG was good despite starbuck, not because of.

First you have to want to do it. Seems to me that this band just wants to piss off the gaming community to provoke a reaction. Maybe we should really try ignoring them, and anything that they touch, maybe they'll loose interest.

And again, Malcolm X isn't a character, so that was a bad analogy, full stop. The validity of the argument (or lack thereof) is entirely beside the point. But since most people are driven by emotion, not logic...

Black Panther's identify is inextricably tied to his race (as are the identities of most of our culture's minority character's, which is in itself telling) in a way that a supporting character in a video game's probably isn't. Though not having played the Witcher 3, I'm not familiar with this particular supporting character, so perhaps I'm mistaken in this case? If not, it not really the same thing.

No problem, next Xmen movie we'll cast Scarlet Johansen to be Storm. I'm sure nobody will care.

I just hope they do a better job than whoever did the (English) voice acting in the game. That "drama school graduate playing a cockney guttersnipe, badly" performance made Ciri one of the less endearing characters to me, and I was happiest whenever she was out of the picture.

To think this is anything more than a political play is to ignore the lore ramifications. Now they have to address her parents, their respective kingdoms, etc. The director said she would keep her politics out of it, but now we're looking at a retcon of entire races or kingdoms to allow changing a character that has deeper background story ramifications than pretty much any other. It likely indicates they don't know the material and they're just going to be pulling story-lines out of their backside, probably end up a terrible bottle episode show like the majority of sitcom trash on TV now.

Funny enough, she was already a woman, you'd think having the most powerful character in the established universe as a woman would make them ecstatic as is. The Witcher series is already highly progressive in the number of strong female characters it has, and instead of thinking how cool that is, and just making the show in earnest, they have to screw with it and likely turn it into a heaping dumpster fire.

They tried this with 2 other popular book series shows and both of them crashed and burned because you didn't recognize the universe anymore. It has this effect where the show/movie feels like plagiarism. Either make something original, or don't screw with established canon. Notice how the overwhelming majority of Rocky fans loved Creed? That's because you made an original story with a minority character in the lead, a good one, that didn't take a dump on the legacy of the originals. They didn't Frankenstein something fans loved into a political pet project. Ghost Busters, exact opposite. They plagiarized pretty much the entirety of the original, shot it full of SJW garbage and turned it into a poor parody.

The good news is this continued BS will cause the expedited death of SJW culture, as the investors watch the ramifications of the trend on their bottom line. The bad news is we're going to lose our chance at some great shows because they refuse to honor the material the first time, and nobody is going to gamble on a second.

They are going to stay really close to the source material. The Witcher is a story about a witch who decided to become a man (that is why he/she is called a Witcher) and she/he travels through time to solve mysteries with his/her talking dog Dandelion. While they are on the moon, they run into Ciri who is black and her father is the king of Wakanda. The Witcher finds out that his long time nemesis Triss Merigold has turned Geralt's best friend and lover Letho into a dragon and now he must decide whether to slay the dragon or stop being such a bigot and allow Letho to identify as a dragon. In the series climax, to prove he's not a bigot, he decides has to have sex with Letho while Letho is a dragon.

I loved Altered Carbon. Race and sex did not really matter in that show, because of the body switching at whim possible in that story. The primary antagonist was, at various times in the show, a 10ish year old white girl, an asian/eastern european girl/woman, a black man, and a white woman. The primary heroine was hispanic, her partner was a muslim that had catholic friends and he died a hero, the protagonist, was an asian/euopean boy/man, and a white man. The show pushed all sorts of SJW concepts. But you know what, I was fine with that. You know why? It was entertaining, and I had nothing invested in any prior lore or canon that may have existed prior to watching the show.

The Witcher is not like that. There is existing lore, there is a massive existing fan base, and there are preexisting expectations for any Witcher property. If the show is not being made for the current Witcher fans, who is it being made for? Ciri is one of the most powerful beings in the Witcher lore, why couldn't the SJW's just be happy that it was a woman, even if she is white? It is like they set out with the intention of failing so they could blame "bigots", and the "alt-right" whatever that means, and "manbabies".

You should read the books, the netflix show was a fucking pile of dogshit compared to the books. I don't know a single person who read the books and said "yea that netflix show was good". In fact, even the non book readers who saw the show said to me "around halfway through, the show didn't make any sense". I let them know "yea, that's where they completely disregarded the book and just wrote whatever the fuck they felt like."

I would have gone with Guy Pearce as Geralt. He’s got the look and voice

For some reason I want Christopher Walken as Geralt, it’s to bad he getting a bit old for action movies.

There's a distinction between not casting a white person if they thought white people shouldn't be in Hollywood versus (as an example) the studio seeing a lack of latino viewers and making a casting choice that might superficially generate initial interest from an audience. The former is wrong, the latter? I just can't get worked up about it.

We're talking about a work of fiction here in a fantasy world with elves. Stories have been changed and re-changed over and over since forever to get it from one medium to another or one locale to another. (I mentioned President Koopa!) People, places, and even plots don't always stay the same. But who says there has to be a change to lore anyway? Maybe they wanted an actor with a different look and go on without any lore changes.

Sometimes it's because a writer thinks it flows better, sometimes a studio thinks a quick buck might be had, sometimes some thing in one medium translates poorly to another, sometimes it just ends up being a mistake, but at the end of the day, I only care about the overall end result.

Is he? Seems pretty unclear right now.

looks like he wanted a big payday to appear in that new Shazam movie and they couldn't reach an agreement...I think this was Cavill's way of getting out from this role...he realizes it's a dead end so he purposely asked for more $$ then he knew the studio would give...so now he's free to do other movies/shows like the Witcher series...

Update from the Witcher subreddit, apparently they got info, and young Ciri is white.
Thread for full details:

Show me one example where your imaginary rule prevailed. Where they took an established character (or characters). Changed their race and or gender. And the resulting product got better ratings than before. Just one.
I don't know if the resulting product got better ratings than the original, but a Shakespeare movie back in the 90s, Much Ado About Nothing, where Denzel Washington played the role of Don Pedro. I doubt Shakespeare had a back person in mind when he wrote that play.

Let's assume for a moment that crime is being deliberately unreported. That doesn't imply a causal link between said crime and immigration.

In other words,

Premise 1: Crime is up
Premise 2: Immigration is up
Conclusion: Crime is up because immigration is up​

...is an invalid argument, even if both premises are true. That doesn't mean the conclusion is untrue...just that it hasn't been proven. We just don't know.

One thing we do know is that immigrants have historically made terrific scapegoats for a variety of woes: Crime, unemployment, budget problems... it doesn't matter. Any time, any country: Immigrants -- especially undocumented immigrants -- lack a legal voice. They can't stand up for themselves, so they're an easy target.

TLDR: Nativist bullshit isn't new, and it isn't uniquely American, but it's still bullshit.
Because we don't have video proof for each crime, less conclude the opposite is true and do nothing.

Wait wait wait ... so you mean a bunch of snowflakes overreacted to something that wasn't even true, IE Ciri being cast as a minority. Gee ... never seen that before.

WTF!? Seriously, stay true to the source material you idiots. Do not take "token" minorities just for the sake of inclusivity (sp?), that will only degenerate the quality of the show.

This is a Netflix show, what quality is there to degenerate? Regarding all the political correctness just for the sake of numbers, I totally agree. Hollywood has never had its head so deep up its ass as it does now (oh and usually it's pretty damn deep).

This thread is a bit weird as some are whining about a character in a TV series is not white using specious arguments. Currently there are six pages in this thread and not many posts about the new TV series as such.
What is weird is that some people. Would defend the clear blatant racism of such decisions. And I don't mean it is racist against whites because they replaced a white character.

It is racist against said minorities because they assume they need special treatment to get gigs. They're so hopeless that they need special concessions and special opportunities. They want to lift them up to be equal with white folk. Well that assumes that they think they're inferior.

The rest of us think all people deserve equal opportunities and treatment in every way. Forcing minorities into a central european medieval tale is completely unnecessary and counter productive. What does a Chinese movie has? Chinese people. There are no token white actors in them. And that's the way it is supposed to be.

If you want to make a 'diverse' movie. (Which is not a virtue on it's own ) write your own story and set of characters. If you want diversity for the sake of diversity that is. Not that that would mean anything to people not obsessed with race, and equal outcome.

so Cavill is officially out as Superman...

This is disappointing. MoS was the best Superman to date, IMO. BvS was weaker and JL was just horrible. DC needs to fire everyone involved, wait 5-10 years and reboot.

I don't classify the Reeves movies in the same category either. Yes, they're classics but IDK, different.

Some of you folks seem like such sad sad people...
Well , yes, but unfortunately for you; they are sad in the same way as Frank Castle was sad about his family.

Get out for a walk and get some fresh air.
That much fresh air might take the sad people away from their whiskey (warm, neat, and out of a dirty glass of course ) long enough to let a little osbriety in , this might even invoke the outer shell of sleepy numbness to notice being poked at.

YOU may find that is exactly what you don't want to happen, but by all means keep reaching out and thinking of sad people's well fair; by telling them they are sad...what could go wrong?

Back