Netflix’s “The Witcher”: Henry Cavill Cast as Geralt, Minority Sought for Ciri

This is going to be a pattern now it seems:

1. announce something exciting for fans of a franchise
  2. announce with great chest banging that you're shitting on the original lore
  3. start attacking the fans in interviews and in public outlets for not being accepting, be sure to call them manbabies
  4. when the thing is met with lukewarm sales/views, act surprised , look innocent while continuing to blame the fans, mention trump, christians, and the alt-right.

Ill be honest, im not sure what their end game is.

Im totally indifferent to Ciri's race but why would you attempt to inject social justice into a tv series thats specifically designed to target gamers? The fact that they're doing this makes me doubt that they're talking this project seriously.

It's a case of knowing your audience.

Speaking of cultural appropriation, why is Jesus depicted as a blonde white man in mainstream churches? Cue outrage by Middle East! Why did white America steal Mexico’s precious food and create a bastardized TexMex? It’s outrageous!

True, I get that, maybe dub a Japanese voice actor could be a potential workaround, I mean it was still pretty bad as movies go, I think I enjoyed the Japanese 2 part version live action of Death Note my only gripe with that was the crappy Hong Kong animations.

If its not about ending world hunger or some such we are not allowed to complain? About anything?

No but the reaction by some of the people above where I can almost hear the foaming through the screen is bit much.

Studios make changes to properties all the time when they adapt works. If they think this decision makes it a better sell to western audiences it's their prerogative.

The series will end up either good or bad but it won't be because of what people are losing their shit over in this thread.

This is typical of Netflix. They changed the race of Judy Robinson in Lost in Space and the gender of Doctor Smith.

This is typical of Netflix. They changed the race of Judy Robinson in Lost in Space and the gender of Doctor Smith.
Lol you don't need to look past their reboot of "bill nye" to see where Netflix falls on the spectrum. They have the occasional fluke that's a decent movie/show, but most of their "original" shows are utter shit. I think the last decent "original" I watched on Netflix was the will Smith movie (can't remember what it was called, it had a bunch of fantasy stuff in it) but even then it was only decent because he carried the entire movie. Writing was terrible, other actors were terrible, but I did watch the entire thing.

As a fan of the Witcher games, I am disappointed that the Netflix is looking to diversify the cast to appease to the SJW shitheads. They have their own market with Spongebob Squarepants, 13 Reasons Why, My Little Pony, She-Rah, etc. They don't even play or read anything about the Witcher. Also, there are real Caucasian minorities! Cast a blonde girl from Eastern Europe as Ciri... ffs...

Ghost in the Shell I cleared up for other people, her small child Shell/body was Japanese, but as the older Major Kusanagi she used a Prostitute Model shell that was military grade enhanced, it was a Caucasian shell/body. They clear this up actually in the Manga, and I believe in the Anime series and Movies it was touched upon but not really explained, Still it wasn't as bad as that dumpster fire, Asian washing of Fullmetal Alchemist live action they did...…...Ed and Al are German, and the story explains it with the time frame they exist in, Ironically How many Japanese women naturally have Blonde hair and Blue eyes, that aren't military brats or mixed racial backgrounds...None so in an anime typically you have personality types determined by hair color these days...or it shows nationality, you have to know the studio and their style to determine what the situation is.

well, Europeans in manga/anime always felt like Japanese people cosplaying

domestic market, homogeneous demographics , budget and inherent xenophobia = expected all to be Japanized in movies

Im totally indifferent to Ciri's race but why would you attempt to inject social justice into a tv series thats specifically designed to target gamers? The fact that they're doing this makes me doubt that they're talking this project seriously.

There is no end game. Social justice is inherently selfish. It only serves one purpose: to fill the ego of the people engaged in it.
Of course they don't take it seriously. They don't care about the subject. All they see is another vessel they can use to spread the word about their awesomeness. It is all a big circle jerk among them.

Honestly, why is race a big deal? Its a fantasy series, a Polish fantasy series, but its fantasy. Like, why does her skin color matter? Is her being white so central to her character that it changing doesn't make it Ciri? Like, if you changed all the main characters to be black, why should that change the story?

Imo. Modern Fantasy as a genre is largely a genre invented by europeans, most notably englishmen. It includes fantastic elements, yes. But also knights, castles, wizards and so on. Like the Witcher. There are no castles or knights outside of Europe. And at the time, there were near no people of color in Europe at all.

I think messing with the race or sex of a character, just to annoy the audience is somewhat misguided.

Point in case: Preacher. All characters in Preacher are picture perfect with respect to the comics. Its really impressive. Except Tulip which is played by Ruth Negga. Now, she's a great actress and does a good job. But, her appearance is no where near that of Tulip of the comic. They probably could have found a similar looking actress for the job, but wanted a black person instead... Great... :/

f8066a6adcf23dc66132092ba3aae1de.jpg

tulip-on-the-page-3.jpg

who the hell cares if they did, i never watched the original nor do i even want to bother watching it so the racial or gender change means absolutely dick unless you were born pre 1965 and grew up watching it..

Lol you don't need to look past their reboot of "bill nye" to see where Netflix falls on the spectrum. They have the occasional fluke that's a decent movie/show, but most of their "original" shows are utter shit. I think the last decent "original" I watched on Netflix was the will Smith movie (can't remember what it was called, it had a bunch of fantasy stuff in it) but even then it was only decent because he carried the entire movie. Writing was terrible, other actors were terrible, but I did watch the entire thing.

you're thinking of Bright, agree the acting was a bit meh and the story felt rushed for absolutely no reason but we'll see what they end up doing with the second one since it's being written and directed by David Ayer instead of the original writer of the first movie Max Landis. i still enjoyed the movie though.

I played the game and I'm guessing most of the people that know the series has played the Witcher 3 and know full well that Ciri is a few shades from being albino so it's gonna be really off-putting to find that a character I know is a completely different race.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
Only thing I care about is can she act? Otherwise I don't care what her skin color is.

FYI...It's based on the books, not the game. Not that it changes Ciri much. Timeline should take place before Witcher 1.

This is the writing staff of Netflix's The Witcher... https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...oke-for-social-justice-on-social-media/68205/

I'm honestly just tired of the SJW v anti-politically correct back and forth. There's a constsn stream of bullshit on both side. Can I speed up time 100 year to when race/gender/ethnicity doesn't matter?
Saying you are "color blind" or that "race/gender/ethnicity doesn't matter" is a trigger phrase according to leftist college campuses. Wish I wasn't being serious. They will never not allow it to be an issue. They need it to exist so they can get off on their power trip in regards to telling people what they are allowed to do, say, and possibly think.

Last time I checked, the EU was demolishing the U.S. on every quality of life measurement. Longer life spans, better healthcare outcomes, lower crime, etc., etc. etc.
Crime: Other than the systematic under reporting of criminal activities as shown in Germany, England, and Sweden. They are blowing smoke up your bums by under reporting and statistical misrepresentation of data.

QoL: Tell me again how Greece, Spain, and Italy are doing? When you say EU, do you just mean Germany ... because they certainly think so too.

wait what?!

It's called Reboot: The Guardian Code on Netflix. A group of teens find some hidden computer or something. They jack into it I guess you could say Ready Player One style. At least from what I've seen of the trailers.

The new Voltron has been great.

It's called Reboot: The Guardian Code on Netflix. A group of teens find some hidden computer or something. They jack into it I guess you could say Ready Player One style. At least from what I've seen of the trailers.

The new Voltron has been great.
oh... :(
and yeah it is.

edit: just did some googling on reboot, kinda bummed. was a big fan of the original. might give the last ep a watch if/when it actually comes to Canadian Netflix.

Last edited:
It's social media diseased marketing departments. Looking to hit social media metrics which probably counts raw replies and retweets and little about positive vs. negative messaging.

Anyone else find the crying about "staying true to the source" in this thread funny like I do?

If the producers want to change things up to appeal to a western audience to try and make more money, more power to them. That's capitalism.

Just remember, Sapkowski would come in here and shit on the TV show AND your stupid game.

Crime: Other than the systematic under reporting of criminal activities as shown in Germany, England, and Sweden. They are blowing smoke up your bums by under reporting and statistical misrepresentation of data.

QoL: Tell me again how Greece, Spain, and Italy are doing? When you say EU, do you just mean Germany ... because they certainly think so too.

Let's assume for a moment that crime is being deliberately unreported. That doesn't imply a causal link between said crime and immigration.

In other words,

Premise 1: Crime is up
Premise 2: Immigration is up
Conclusion: Crime is up because immigration is up​

...is an invalid argument, even if both premises are true. That doesn't mean the conclusion is untrue...just that it hasn't been proven. We just don't know.

One thing we do know is that immigrants have historically made terrific scapegoats for a variety of woes: Crime, unemployment, budget problems... it doesn't matter. Any time, any country: Immigrants -- especially undocumented immigrants -- lack a legal voice. They can't stand up for themselves, so they're an easy target.

TLDR: Nativist bullshit isn't new, and it isn't uniquely American, but it's still bullshit.

Anyone else find the crying about "staying true to the source" in this thread funny like I do?

If the producers want to change things up to appeal to a western audience to try and make more money, more power to them. That's capitalism.

Just remember, Sapkowski would come in here and shit on the TV show AND your stupid game.
its only appealing to a small % of the western audience and they are forcing it down everyone elses throats.
and I find it funny that you only seem to pop in and take jabs instead of contributing.

its only appealing to a small % of the western audience and they are forcing it down everyone elses throats.
and I find it funny that you only seem to pop in and take jabs instead of contributing.

"Forcing it down everyone else's throats," also sometimes known as "existing"

Let's assume for a moment that crime is being deliberately unreported. That doesn't imply a causal link between said crime and immigration.

In other words,

...is an invalid argument, even if both premises are true. That doesn't mean the conclusion is untrue...just that it hasn't been proven. We just don't know.

One thing we do know is that immigrants have historically made terrific scapegoats for a variety of woes: Crime, unemployment, budget problems... it doesn't matter. Any time, any country: Immigrants -- especially undocumented immigrants -- lack a legal voice. They can't stand up for themselves, so they're an easy target.

TLDR: Nativist bullshit isn't new, and it isn't uniquely American, but it's still bullshit.
Immigrant crime is under-reported or in some cases not even investigated for fear of inviting racism. That doesn't mean immigrant crime is disproportionate. And frankly it doesn't even matter. Every crime should be reported and handled equally regardless of the perp's identity. That's the problem, not whether immigrants cause more or less crime than natives.

Immigrant crime is under-reported or in some cases not even investigated for fear of inviting racism.
true. the new movie peppermint is being called racist because MS-13 are the bad guys. cops are called racist for arresting black criminals. reporting on Pakistani rape gangs is racist. everything's racist and everyone right of stalin is a nazi!!

No, just the people who have no critical thinking skills.

Let's say they want to adopt the Luther TV series to the big screen. And they send out a casting call that says the role of Luther should be filled by a white Caucasian actor. We'd be up in arms about that too. Would you find that funny too?

What western audience are they appealing to? The only people who this appeals to is social justice types, who are known not to put their money where their mouth is. So this has nothing to do with profits, and everything with a false ideology.

No, just the people who have no critical thinking skills.

Let's say they want to adopt the Luther TV series to the big screen. And they send out a casting call that says the role of Luther should be filled by a white Caucasian actor. We'd be up in arms about that too. Would you find that funny too?

What western audience are they appealing to? The only people who this appeals to is social justice types, who are known not to put their money where their mouth is. So this has nothing to do with profits, and everything with a false ideology.
exactly.

In other words,

Fortunately, we don't need to guess. In Denmark, the Danish Statistics Bureau published stats on migration. Including crime:

https://www.dst.dk/Site/Dst/Udgivelser/GetPubFile.aspx?id=20705&sid=indv2017

Go to page 104, table 6.7. Migrants of non-western origin have a crime index of 135, and 252 when looking at their descendents.

These numbers hide something though. It includes the chinese, vietnamese and so on.

On page 108, you can see the table of indexes by country of origin. Libanese men are 2.56 times as likely to commit a crime as a native dane. And their kids.. Jebus...

Then, when you look at the actual crimes committed (not in this report though), you will see that its violence and rapes.

But at least we don't have to guess. The Royal Staticians are very well trained.

Back