Netflix’s “The Witcher”: Henry Cavill Cast as Geralt, Minority Sought for Ciri

Race is a HUGE deal in the Witcher series, non-humans specifically, which was used as an undertone for Polish life. Do you even Witcher bro?

You're right that race was a big part of the Witcher lore. Ironically however, it painted a pretty clear picture of the evils of racism.

Furthermore, if they changed Santa Clause to a minority, you would be upset. Not because he can't be but because he, in your mind has always been lighter skinned. (St. Nicholas was actually a real person and Danish.)

I wouldn't give two shits if suddenly Santa was portrayed as black or Asian or whatever, because he's a fictional character.

So by doing that, they have altered the source material. So at this point, why does Geralt have to be male?

Geralt has to be male because it's central to the story, as in, his hetero relationships with women, the surrogate father role, etc. The color of Ciri's skin has fuck all to do with the story.

Facts have a well-known liberal bias, so I don't think you'll make him admit it. Some are more into "alternative facts" or "truth isn't truth".

This! I think people now days just support their own personal bias than actually believing and staying open to things. This shit is so charged these days.

Nowdays I have just learn to laugh at this stuff though. Life is too damn short to be mad at people. But I am sure this thread will go on until the show comes out about the same thing.

Last edited:
You're right that race was a big part of the Witcher lore. Ironically however, it painted a pretty clear picture of the evils of racism.

I wouldn't give two shits if suddenly Santa was portrayed as black or Asian or whatever, because he's a fictional character.

Geralt has to be male because it's central to the story, as in, his hetero relationships with women, the surrogate father role, etc. The color of Ciri's skin has fuck all to do with the story.

I’ll agree with Ciri as long as they keep the personality. Especially since she’s adopted.

Lost in Space was really good and one of the Robinsons was adopted and not of the same race. It was fine because it just was. They didn’t make it into some kind of side show.

I’ll agree with Ciri as long as they keep the personality. Especially since she’s adopted.

Lost in Space was really good and one of the Robinsons was adopted and not of the same race. It was fine because it just was. They didn’t make it into some kind of side show.
but Ciris father is Emperor soo yeah not sure how thats going to work

but Ciris father is Emperor soo yeah not sure how thats going to work

Just saying it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me as long as she is still Ciri. It’s not necessarily the choice I would make but beggars can’t be choosers?

Just saying it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me as long as she is still Ciri.

I've always envisioned Ciri as being one of those hyper-blonde eskimos from Norway and Finland. They are the Sami people, I believe. Not all Sami are so pale - for a contiguous people, the Sami have a very diverse look.

sami.jpg

I'm not sure why, but it's always been the image I attached to her.

So they can be black, Asian or Martian, they're all pretty much the same thing?

Isn't that kind of racist?

1)Susan ( fail her way to the top ) Rice hired on at the board of netflix.

2) GOG anti-DRM from the word go.

Ideologically , historically, this tryst is combining molten salt with dry ice.

If Cd Project Red has become one of the infected I am dumping netflix ( really close to doing that now ).

Had high hopes for cyberpunk 2077, and GOG in general , but now can only hope the minds at Cd Project Red are one quicksilver step ahead of the pod people blob mentality...

..sad day if they are not .

So they can be black, Asian or Martian, they're all pretty much the same thing?

Isn't that kind of racist?

If you're addressing my post, I was just saying the first time I read about Ciri (way back before the game existed) the description reminded me of some of the pictures of the Sami.
If you're talking about the Sami people, I would say the Sami are the fallacy of racism.

In a role like this, a lot of factors to be considered are appearance, attractiveness, not just stuff like pure acting skill. Things like the color of their skin, their look, naturally manner, its a movie, looks matter. As for my opinion, I don't get why anyone should care if Ciri is different than her in-book character. So what? Its not real life, its basically fantasy. Its fantasy based on a Polish novel, yeah, but simply cause the author envisioned a white person, doesn't mean everyone else should be tied to that.

So they are probably tossing in a minority character to appeal to more audiences. So what, whats the big deal about that? Frankly, i think your all just being insecure about being white.

I'm hardly being insecure about being white. I already said I don't care about what race they choose for this character because (as far as I know considering I haven't played a lot of the Witcher games) the character's race isn't a major part of their identity. I'd just prefer that they remove race as a criteria for any role that wouldn't benefit from it.

lol what, I am a process oriented technical path engineer. Cultural/sex differences are a reality and factor. It’s taught about in college and you experience it in life.

A quick google showed up with the below. Assuming serious actors are in the guild, latinos don’t give as much of a shit about acting but whites do appear to do better.

View attachment 102590

I also work for a liberal as fuck, run by femnazis company and they recognize women and men have their strengths (in general) and each person should be used to theirs.

How about you separate Jewish from white in that graph please

Honestly, this show is probably going to suck balls. I hope it doesn’t, but it almost definitely will.

Netflix needs better quality control on the stuff that they put out.

Na, this is just typical over correcting of Hollywood. Business ideology Hollywood is fairly right, but they make great money by shoveling to the left. So the movies tend to be left, but it's done that way for sales figures.

As for overcorrecting, blacks and gays are perfect examples. Hollywood in the 80's realized that blacksplotation was out, and egar to seem on the side of blacks, they morphed most black castings to comedy, over the top, pimpesq, did I do that. Once that didn't really work, they made most black characters filled with folksie wisedom. Only recently have they started just casting a black person in a role, rather than making a specific black role.

Hollywood did the exact same thing with gays, started off as comedy, turned into folksie wisedom, now they are kinda both.

The reality is, it's very belittling to the group involved to receive the typical Hollywood treatment.

what is not widely known is that Hollywood and it's extension was that there was a consolidation of ownership from then. ( latest being Fox capitulating to Disney ), and with this consolidation also comes the narrowing of views, and a tighter focus of specific ideologies.

what we do not know still is why those on the right do not want to purchase influence in the industry? I think it is best if some balance is brought back to the system.

lol what, I am a process oriented technical path engineer. Cultural/sex differences are a reality and factor. It’s taught about in college and you experience it in life.

A quick google showed up with the below. Assuming serious actors are in the guild, latinos don’t give as much of a shit about acting but whites do appear to do better.

View attachment 102590

I also work for a liberal as fuck, run by femnazis company and they recognize women and men have their strengths (in general) and each person should be used to theirs.

Oscars is one heavily politicized theater for the past decade. Who the heck still uses Oscars to reference anything (other than the technical bits. Those are still cool but no one put them as front page material ) ?

even the graph mixes up Chinese Asians and Indian Asians as one ( HUGE difference. Crazy Rich Asians in reality being Crazy Rich Chinese. Some reviewers even commented that they got scammed on this despite the posters being all chinese....geez, but don't tell the journalists that),

and Eastern Europeans with those of Mediterranean descent, not to mention the British Isles. Is Javier Bardem considered white or minority , hmm?

and of course the 100th movie has the same weightage as the 1st movie despite the no. eyeballs being the more important metric....

Last edited:
View attachment 102630

Cavill as Geralt fan photoshop doesn't look that bad.

Ciri thing is just as expected in as cinema needs to appeal to a worldwide audience now. My guess is the A in bAme , for the huge Asian fanbase. Also probably a less expensive actress(sadly) Money money money

Asians (orientals) don't really give a shit about having asians ( orientals) in their movies. ( they watch anything and everything cause everyone pirates, and local tv is generally bad )

Asians ( indians ) like token foreigners in their tv and movies . ( lots of strange to us instances of blondes and caucasians popping up here and there )

I recently had a funny conversation on a Chinese forum about movies including Asian actors to appeal to the Chinese market and investors. The thread devolved into some of the most racist pro-Han shit you will ever read. For those not aware, China has some 50+ ethnic groups in China and for a certain percentage of Chinese if your not Han, you're trash. Some of this goes back to Mao and the attempt to create the "one Han" movement, whereby everyone gave up their cultural identity to make Communism great again. It ended about like how you would expect. But it resulted in a lot of people calling themselves Han in order to move up or maintain their place in society. Anyway, this all goes back to that for a fair number of Chinese these non-Chinese actors pretending to be Chinese is seen as worse than if a European sat in the role.

If you're trying to fill a role for historical accuracy, I think you should fill the role to look correct. That may mean someone not ethnically correct get's it, so long as they look correct. For fictional roles, who cares? Kids love to see someone that looks like them in movies and shows. Giving a kid the ability to see someone like them in a fictional narration is far more important that a few butt hurt people who want an authentic looking character. I mean ffs Daenerys filled by a brunette looks ridiculous with that dye job, but how many people are complaining that Emilia Clarke should be replaced with someone with the proper complexion? Poland has made their Witcher movies, so Netflix is making this for a worldwide audience.

Chinese forums are always toxic in their 'patriotism and nationalism', but then they go about watching Korean dramas and go gaga about Jpop idols.

It's a self-moderated form of censorship , since Big Brother is always watching there ( or some nationalist jerkwad will report them ) , so they can't actually say what they want.

like twitter these days. Some things cannot be argued else your account gets banned the next day

Last edited:
I've always envisioned Ciri as being one of those hyper-blonde eskimos from Norway and Finland. They are the Sami people, I believe. Not all Sami are so pale - for a contiguous people, the Sami have a very diverse look.

View attachment 102650

I'm not sure why, but it's always been the image I attached to her.

Dude I absolutely loved that girl in the princess bride, when she started torturing Wesley. I thought she would get more roles after that.

Honestly, this show is probably going to suck balls. I hope it doesn’t, but it almost definitely will.

Dont' exactly understand this.

Yeah there's a lot of shitty Netflix stuff, but on the otherhand there's a lot of great stuff. For the measly $11.99 I'm paying a month, (which back in the past when I used to collect anime and movies, ended up being $200 a month in DVD's) I've gotten access to some very great series that I would of used to pay top dollar for.

SO Netflix is about $140 a year. And they have made available to the US series like Altered Carbon, Stranger Things, Great British Bake Off (5 seasons), The Punisher, Luke Cage, Marco Polo, Ozark, Sense 8, Castlevania, Daredevil, Bojack Horseman (Which is f'ing hilarious), Narcos, and the amazing The Crown which I would easily have spent over a $1000 for to get in the past.

Not to mention things I did find once in a while enjoyable (but not worth paying dvd fees but well worth a measly $11.99 a month to watch) like Glow, Orange is the New Black, the Defenders, and more that have been an enjoyable watch.

Obviously taste change, but when it comes to how Netflix has been doing compared to Networks and also stuff like Hbo, Stars, etc...I don't think it's a safe bet to say it will either be bad or good. Mostly this early into it.

BS, sorry but Ciri is not a minority in the game so just stick to the damn script and cast accordingly, we don't need anymore liberal diversity.
Why does hollywood feel the need to just fuck everything up?

with context of thread in mind, i can think of the the mess over race conversion over Death Note, Dark Tower, Hellboy, Ghost in the Shell ( ok, not so clear in that cause she;s not exactly modeled as jap in the anime as well) , and now this

and we get no where talking about things in broad views of needing more diversity in media in this matter. Next thing you would know, someone would suggest needing more white rappers and footballers with a serious face.

Ghost in the Shell I cleared up for other people, her small child Shell/body was Japanese, but as the older Major Kusanagi she used a Prostitute Model shell that was military grade enhanced, it was a Caucasian shell/body. They clear this up actually in the Manga, and I believe in the Anime series and Movies it was touched upon but not really explained, Still it wasn't as bad as that dumpster fire, Asian washing of Fullmetal Alchemist live action they did...…...Ed and Al are German, and the story explains it with the time frame they exist in, Ironically How many Japanese women naturally have Blonde hair and Blue eyes, that aren't military brats or mixed racial backgrounds...None so in an anime typically you have personality types determined by hair color these days...or it shows nationality, you have to know the studio and their style to determine what the situation is.

Dont' exactly understand this.

Yeah there's a lot of shitty Netflix stuff, but on the otherhand there's a lot of great stuff. For the measly $11.99 I'm paying a month, (which back in the past when I used to collect anime and movies, ended up being $200 a month in DVD's) I've gotten access to some very great series that I would of used to pay top dollar for.

SO Netflix is about $140 a year. And they have made available to the US series like Altered Carbon, Stranger Things, Great British Bake Off (5 seasons), The Punisher, Luke Cage, Marco Polo, Ozark, Sense 8, Castlevania, Daredevil, Bojack Horseman (Which is f'ing hilarious), Narcos, and the amazing The Crown which I would easily have spent over a $1000 for to get in the past.

Not to mention things I did find once in a while enjoyable (but not worth paying dvd fees but well worth a measly $11.99 a month to watch) like Glow, Orange is the New Black, the Defenders, and more that have been an enjoyable watch.

Obviously taste change, but when it comes to how Netflix has been doing compared to Networks and also stuff like Hbo, Stars, etc...I don't think it's a safe bet to say it will either be bad or good. Mostly this early into it.

Netflix as a service is great. Netflix as a content creator is really hit or miss. You have some great shows, like House of Cards and Stranger Things, but then you have absolute trash TV shows that never should have moved past the pilot stage.

What I'm saying is that their quality control is fucked.

I would rather see a company like HBO, who has a much better track record of producing quality series, pick up a show like the Witcher.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope it's the second coming of GoT, but I just don't think Netflix is going to do justice to this series.

Ghost in the Shell I cleared up for other people, her small child Shell/body was Japanese, but as the older Major Kusanagi she used a Prostitute Model shell that was military grade enhanced, it was a Caucasian shell/body. They clear this up actually in the Manga, and I believe in the Anime series and Movies it was touched upon but not really explained, Still it wasn't as bad as that dumpster fire, Asian washing of Fullmetal Alchemist live action they did...…...Ed and Al are German, and the story explains it with the time frame they exist in, Ironically How many Japanese women naturally have Blonde hair and Blue eyes, that aren't military brats or mixed racial backgrounds...None so in an anime typically you have personality types determined by hair color these days...or it shows nationality, you have to know the studio and their style to determine what the situation is.

For FMA there really weren't many options. The movie was made in Japan for Japanese audiences. I can't imagine the pool of Caucasian actors that speak fluent Japanese was particularly high.

1)Susan ( fail her way to the top ) Rice hired on at the board of netflix.

2) GOG anti-DRM from the word go.

Ideologically , historically, this tryst is combining molten salt with dry ice.

If Cd Project Red has become one of the infected I am dumping netflix ( really close to doing that now ).

Had high hopes for cyberpunk 2077, and GOG in general , but now can only hope the minds at Cd Project Red are one quicksilver step ahead of the pod people blob mentality...

..sad day if they are not .

The TV series doesn't seem to be based on the games and I can't find any indication that CD Projekt is involved. The cinematics director (who does not work CD Projekt) seems to be the only direct connection between the games and the series, though clearly the games set a visual precedent that will be influential.

If they wanted it to be anything more than a diversity hire, they should've said casting is open for any ethnicity.

What I find especially ironic about it, is that they think they're lifting up minorities with this, when they are doing the exact opposite. They literally declare that they are incapable of getting jobs in a competitive environment unless they get special treatment. That's real racism right there.

For these snowflakes having a Ciri that is not white apparently challenges their identity as white Christian males.
What a silly assumption. We are already used to a Ciri that looks like:
download.jpg

Fans of a franchise dislike when you change things like this without good reason. Make believe inclusiveness is generally not considered a good reason by fans. It would be like hiring a light skinned asian guy to play Black Panther in the next Marvel movie. Ciri is pale, if they want to paleface some minority to look like Ciri, I would be fine with that so long as the actress in question did a good job with the acting part.

I wager I would be far better with it than you would be if we black faced a white actor to play Black Panther.
Maybe that is a silly assumption as well.

Funny thing is, since Ciri is canonically bisexual she already represent minorities. Why shoehorn anything by force that is bound to cause one epic shitstorm?

And anyone claiming this forum is alt-right and nonsense like this, from what I have seen this forum is very much against both blackwashing and whitewashing. When Scarlet Johansson was cast in Ghost In The Shell a lot of people here were up in arms about it. This to me makes it a dead center with different leanings from individual to individual. But generally we are simply anti-bullshit, all the way.

When Scarlet Johansson was cast in Ghost In The Shell a lot of people here were up in arms about it. This to me makes it a dead center with different leanings from individual to individual. But generally we are simply anti-bullshit, all the way.
I don't think that casting call was "whites only", was it?

I don't think that casting call was "whites only", was it?

On GITS? Do we even know what the casting call was? But we do known the results of it and what the source material is.

I personally don't think he's a bad actor, regardless of Man of Steel being a shitty movie, I enjoyed him in it. Along with some of his smaller roles, he isn't at all the worst actor on the market. Let's see how he does.

Personally, I'd rather they depict the world more accurately - Zerrikania, Haaland, Hannu, Zangwebar, Northern Kingdom, etc..

It shouldn't be that difficult to portray a soft spoken main character. It's not like Geralt in the Witcher video game series was amazing to listen to any ways... He was nearly on the ZZZZ side of Ben Stein when talking...

I'll second this. Some idiot writer will come along and not have a single clue about the source material and start putting garbage that makes NO SENSE into it.

This is my prediction.

This is going to be a pattern now it seems:

1. announce something exciting for fans of a franchise
  2. announce with great chest banging that you're shitting on the original lore
  3. start attacking the fans in interviews and in public outlets for not being accepting, be sure to call them manbabies
  4. when the thing is met with lukewarm sales/views, act surprised , look innocent while continuing to blame the fans, mention trump, christians, and the alt-right.

Back