Netflix’s “The Witcher”: Henry Cavill Cast as Geralt, Minority Sought for Ciri

Reasonable, but I believe you're also missing the "white-by-default" nature of our popular culture. If fiction reflected reality, then inclusion-based casting would be wrong (but also unnecessary). Minorities don't want special treatment, they want equal treatment. I can't see how that's unreasonable.
White by default? Do you not watch TV/Youtube/Hulu or listen to the radio? If anything, our culture is has become an example of forced nonwhite inclusion by default. You can hardly even listen to music on pop radio with out hearing some rapper squeezed into the song somewhere, no matter how out of place.
Almost every show has a gay couple, and/or features a minority now. Regardless if it fits the plot. White by default my ass.

Eating popcorn. Reminding myself of the people who swore Heath Ledger as the Joker was equivalent of the terrorist winning.

Or that Gal Gadot was to skinny to be wonder woman.

Or that Hugh Jackman was too tall to be wolverine, and he would never last more than a few movies.

Or that the last jedi is good.

While as a minority, it does bother me to see major liberties like this, cause I'm comfortable with white people and enjoy shows about white people. But for some reason, with how fantasy the Witcher is...it doesn't bother me if there is some slight variance. The "Only Slavic looking people for this slavic tale" people really remind me of how stereotypical white south country america sounds. I really don't think Henry Cavill is a bad call. You can always make very beautiful (which he is) into the roughness that Geralt needs.

It's not a slight variance; it completely deviates from a key character from the source material and her entire background. It even impacts the setting of the books and the political intrigue that is central to the entire storyline!

Everyone assumes that this is politically-motivated but has anyone considered that they might just be looking to save money in casting?

I knew this was going to turn into shit the moment they announced it. People just can't help themselves these days. I don't subscribe to Netfix anyways so I'll just make myself forget about this & move on. There's always another playthrough & read of the REAL source material.

White by default my ass.

Its hard for some SJW's to imagine, but since there are a majority of white people in this country it is highly possible and even probable that they will appear more often in entertainment unless you force the opposite to happen. Its amazing how every show has a gay couple yet actual gay people make up a tiny fraction of the population, etc. But I guess in 2018 we only care about where you stick your junk and how much melanin is in your skin, skill and talent and diversity of thought mean nothing to these people.

Reasonable, but I believe you're also missing the "white-by-default" nature of our popular culture. If fiction reflected reality, then inclusion-based casting would be wrong (but also unnecessary). Minorities don't want special treatment, they want equal treatment. I can't see how that's unreasonable.

No I don’t miss the white by default trend, it is very common. If I’m reading a story and I’m never told a characters ethnicity and their characterization is not some stereotype I’ll assume they’re white.

It’s not really a problem until people go crazy over a situation similar to this. If Ciri wasn’t described as white and have such heritage while also in a setting predominantly inhabitated by white characters. Arguing that the fiction doesn’t reflect the current day melting pot ignores history of the setting. That’s the issue with challenging white by default in this case.

Sorry I don’t have time tonight to keep typing what’s in my brain. I think overall we mostly agree with each other though.

I'm honestly just tired of the SJW v anti-politically correct back and forth. There's a constsn stream of bullshit on both side. Can I speed up time 100 year to when race/gender/ethnicity doesn't matter?

its not that they can't ( ref: Power, The Wire, and plenty of other examples if someone was to look from 90s to now).

It's politics to increase the % to activism levels. (but not the Native Indians. No one cares about them still)
Somehow doing these sort of casting choices let them get kudos within the industry top-players, perhaps netting them the spots for a next juicy project or chance to start their own. Considering Hollywood, people would do pretty much anything to get that chance.

(side note: the top ranks of Hollywood incidentally seem to swinging further left and left. --- perhaps someone can recommend if there's a book from an insider in Hollywood about this )

Na, this is just typical over correcting of Hollywood. Business ideology Hollywood is fairly right, but they make great money by shoveling to the left. So the movies tend to be left, but it's done that way for sales figures.

As for overcorrecting, blacks and gays are perfect examples. Hollywood in the 80's realized that blacksplotation was out, and egar to seem on the side of blacks, they morphed most black castings to comedy, over the top, pimpesq, did I do that. Once that didn't really work, they made most black characters filled with folksie wisedom. Only recently have they started just casting a black person in a role, rather than making a specific black role.

Hollywood did the exact same thing with gays, started off as comedy, turned into folksie wisedom, now they are kinda both.

The reality is, it's very belittling to the group involved to receive the typical Hollywood treatment.

This doesn't bug me, I mean yes Ciri and Triss are pretty iconic in the gaming and cosplay world, but as long as it doesn't look forced I'm generally cool with alternative casting. The issue is when a character casting comes of looking like they just filled a roll for diversity rather than actual talent.
It doesn't get more forced than specifically looking for a non-white. They didn't have a specific race/ethnicity in mind based on their artistic (re)interpretation, just wanted a token non-white.

I think I’d rather them fuck up Geralt rather than Ciri.....

Why not just choose the best person for the character. If they can do a BAME that carries the same personality that’s probably fine but I am skeptical.

Sooooo.... we're gonna end up with something like this?

W3.png

Everyone assumes that this is politically-motivated but has anyone considered that they might just be looking to save money in casting?

This is a very Alt-right website. So i mean no everything is politically motivated here. Which is too bad since this TV series is looking to be good now IMO.

Shit like this is why I cancelled my Netflix account. They are funded by George Soros for those who don't know.

Someone did a minor mock up of Emma Watson as Ciri and I thought that was a pretty cool choice....

I was willing to give Cavill a shot at this. I'm kinda concerned just how far they plan to deviate from the books and games.

EWC.png

Its hard for some SJW's to imagine, but since there are a majority of white people in this country it is highly possible and even probable that they will appear more often in entertainment unless you force the opposite to happen.

Pushing aside the (tired) name-calling, that isn't what's happening...minority groups are drastically underrepresented statistically speaking. But don't let that slow you down!

Pushing aside the (tired) name-calling, that isn't what's happening...minority groups are drastically underrepresented statistically speaking. But don't let that slow you down!

Is that vs the population or the part of the population that is actually qualified for it?

It’s like saying women are under represented in STEM. They compare it against the population as a whole. In general women DGAF especially about the engineering portion. There’s inherent differences between women and men. I am sure there are between races (I am sure there is some race that doesn’t give as much of a shit.)

Basically I am wondering what the employment % is of qualified individuals from each race.

I don't mind race specific casting if the character's race is a key part of their identity or the film's topic. So using Malcom X as an example is stupid as both the character's defining feature and the film's topic was civil rights/black activism. If it's not then I don't care about the actor's race at all. A black James Bond or Iron Man? Irrelevant. A character based on a 19th century slave owner from Kentucky? Yeah that'll need to be a white guy to make any sense.

I don't know enough about the Witcher series to say for sure, but I never got the impression that the race mattered. So it shouldn't matter. I don't like the fact they are apparently only looking for a minority person to the play the role though, it should just be the best actress for the job.

Is that vs the population or the part of the population that actually trains for it?

It’s like saying women are under represented in STEM. They compare it against the population as a whole. In general women DGAF especially about the engineering portion. There’s inherent differences between women and men. I am sure there are between races (I am sure there is some race that doesn’t give as much of a shit.)

Basically I am wondering what the employment % is of qualified individuals from each race.

Holy fuck dude.

Holy fuck dude.

lol what, I am a process oriented technical path engineer. Cultural/sex differences are a reality and factor. It’s taught about in college and you experience it in life.

A quick google showed up with the below. Assuming serious actors are in the guild, latinos don’t give as much of a shit about acting but whites do appear to do better.

5EF7E77A-E85C-42FD-9E27-77990789D74D.gif

I also work for a liberal as fuck, run by femnazis company and they recognize women and men have their strengths (in general) and each person should be used to theirs.

Last edited:
I don't mind race specific casting if the character's race is a key part of their identity or the film's topic. So using Malcom X as an example is stupid as both the character's defining feature and the film's topic was civil rights/black activism. If it's not then I don't care about the actor's race at all. A black James Bond or Iron Man? Irrelevant. A character based on a 19th century slave owner from Kentucky? Yeah that'll need to be a white guy to make any sense.

I don't know enough about the Witcher series to say for sure, but I never got the impression that the race mattered. So it shouldn't matter. I don't like the fact they are apparently only looking for a minority person to the play the role though, it should just be the best actress for the job.

In a role like this, a lot of factors to be considered are appearance, attractiveness, not just stuff like pure acting skill. Things like the color of their skin, their look, naturally manner, its a movie, looks matter. As for my opinion, I don't get why anyone should care if Ciri is different than her in-book character. So what? Its not real life, its basically fantasy. Its fantasy based on a Polish novel, yeah, but simply cause the author envisioned a white person, doesn't mean everyone else should be tied to that.

So they are probably tossing in a minority character to appeal to more audiences. So what, whats the big deal about that? Frankly, i think your all just being insecure about being white.

LOL, really? Didn't we just have a minority as President of the United States of America? Of course the Democrats will keep beating that old horse to get the sympathy vote till the cows come home.

On topic,

Its not about being "insecure about being white" as a poster above stated, its about proper representation of the source material & how the industry constantly messes around with it to pander to an audience.

Lets, release a new version of the Bible, this time lets make Jesus an Asian because, it'll sell better in Asia.

Last edited:
I don't get why anyone should care if Ciri is different than her in-book character.

Because it's wrong to alter someone else's culture? Especially for political reasons?

The Witcher is tremendously important to Poland. Their prime minister even gave President Obama a copy of the Witcher 2. The series and the books mean a great deal to Poles due to decades of violent cultural suppression.

lol what, I am a process oriented technical path engineer. Cultural/sex differences are a reality and factor. It’s taught about in college and you experience it in life.

A quick google showed up with the below. Assuming serious actors are in the guild, latinos don’t give as much of a shit about acting but whites do appear to do better.

View attachment 102590

I also work for a liberal as fuck, run by femnazis company and they recognize women and men have their strengths (in general) and each person should be used to theirs.

Oof. Or maybe, instead of "latinos don't give a shit about acting", the actual reason is that theres a whiteness bias that influences society to choose white actors over minority actors for roles, especially top roles, and also influences nominations for awards? Honestly, what a silly statement Dayaks. "latinos don't give a shit about acting"

Because it's wrong to alter someone else's culture? Especially for political reasons?

The Witcher is tremendously important to Poland. Their prime minister even gave President Obama a copy of the Witcher 2. The series and the books mean a great deal to Poles due to decades of violent cultural suppression.

Ill give you the same response I gave to SJWs bitching about cultural appropriation over things like Chinese inspired prom dresses, mixed cuisines, and etc. Fuck off with that shit. Cultural mixing is a good thing, different takes on material is good. If the poles wanna complain, they can make their own goddamn tv series, all accurate and whatnot.

Oof. Or maybe, instead of "latinos don't give a shit about acting", the actual reason is that theres a whiteness bias that influences society to choose white actors over minority actors for roles, especially top roles, and also influences nominations for awards? Honestly, what a silly statement Dayaks. "latinos don't give a shit about acting"

Lets ignore I said, “whites do appear to do better” and also pretend all races/cultures have the same aspirations. Mmmmm kay.

Back