Netflix's ISP Speed Index For January 2014

The data seems a bit suspect. What exactly are they measuring? They have comcast rated very low, yet i've never heard of anyone with comcast who ever had problems with a relatively trivial internet task such as streaming netflix.

I'm on Comcast and I can max my 100Mbps connection 24 hours a day for weeks on end if I wanted to. In fact, I can't recall any time in the last 10 years when I couldn't max out my cable connection any time I wanted.

Comcast has its own netflix CDN. I can stream 3d from netflix as long as I use comcast DNS.

With Net Neutrality struck down, it's only gonna get worse.

There... I brought up the other elephant in the room :)

Comcast has definitely been throttling Netflix here in Miami, FL. I pay for 120/20 and yet Netflix only seems to stream HD during off-peak hours, anything from 6PM-10PM is shitty and slow even tho my network still tests at 80+.

So is Netflix saying they're throttling certain ISP's?

Because there's no way in hell Cablevision Optimum > Verizon FiOS.
I had Verizon FIOS before, then I moved and got Cablevision/Optimum. I can vouch for the fact that Netflix is faster and much more reliable on Cablevision/Optimum. Netflix SuperHD is great and works well on Optimum.

If you have the 75/35 Tier as I do, you need to call Verizon :)

Oh no, this is the 50/25. Guess I just get better test results.

But don't get distracted by speedtest results folks. I'm not kidding about the piss poor streaming in prime time

It's possible Verizon's enjoying their win over the FCC by throttling Netflix, who knows.

Anyway, here's some graphs showing diff companies handling their service, see if you can spot anything interesting:

netflix-comcast-speed-640x343.png

netflix-verizon-fios-speed-640x337.png

netflix-time-warner-e1392059641702-640x346.png

netflix-google-fiber1-640x331.png

(source: http://arstechnica.com/information-...zon-and-comcast-has-been-dropping-for-months/)

The data seems a bit suspect. What exactly are they measuring? They have comcast rated very low, yet i've never heard of anyone with comcast who ever had problems with a relatively trivial internet task such as streaming netflix.

I'm on Comcast and I can max my 100Mbps connection 24 hours a day for weeks on end if I wanted to. In fact, I can't recall any time in the last 10 years when I couldn't max out my cable connection any time I wanted.

Hello nice to meet you:) I generally thought the same, never ran into those "shared" speed reductions during peak times with comcast until recently.

Netflix is at 320 SD resolution for me at night. Pretty much since the FCC net neut rules were negated.

People are reporting they get SD with straight comcast setup and HD when going through VPNs... If that doesn't prove throttling or horrible peer setup I don't know what will.

Comcast has definitely been throttling Netflix here in Miami, FL. I pay for 120/20 and yet Netflix only seems to stream HD during off-peak hours, anything from 6PM-10PM is shitty and slow even tho my network still tests at 80+.

You are not alone... I am on basic package but still the same.

Now Comcast is denying access to Olympic streams unless you have a cable TV package.

FIOS Netflix has been horrible for the last month or so.

Or it could be my Roku, but I'm not sure. Quality drops a lot mid-stream along with a lot of dropped network connections. There could be any number of factors, but it's not wifi channel or router config related. Chromecast fares better and doesn't drop connections but isn't immune to the degraded stream quality issue. (same problem with android tablet)

After seeing that Verizon graph, fuck VZ and their monopoly bullshit. Fuck them with a simmering bowl of ramen.

Yeah my AT&T does 965KB/s ... hop on Netflix, and it hangs after 30 seconds, and then downgrades the quality to 1980 sometimes. I assumed it was AT&T shaping Netflix traffic.

I have a 25/5 connection with Comcast cable and my ability to stream Netflix in HD is unreliable. Last night the stream was constantly dropping to 240p, and struggling to ever reach 720p. However, I could still max out a torrent at 25Mbps.

I've read about ISPs purposely delaying the installation of equipment which would improve local data caching for video streaming. Netflix will tell me their CDN has sufficient capacity. Staff at their CDN have told me their servers are fine, and that it is most likely a peering issue. Comcast support offers no insight into how data from outside their internal network is handled.

You are not alone... I am on basic package but still the same.

Now Comcast is denying access to Olympic streams unless you have a cable TV package.

Youtube has been the same lately as well but I don't know who's to blame on that one. Youtube used to buffer fully and instantly even on HD about 2 years ago. Now a days it never buffers more than 5% past play and switching to HD just freezes the video completely sometimes even though 480p buffers in seconds.

Uverse has been throttling netflix in St. Louis since December 2013. I am only able to get 240p from netflix during any time of the day. It was working normally during the summer.

If I'm on a PC, I can force HD/Super HD by using shift+alt+left clicking for forcing the bit rate to the max level. It will then do HD easily without buffering.

If I am on another device, that option isn't available. I used multiple DNS servers (openDNS, google, etc) and it helped, but i could not break 480p. I found a canadian DNS server this past weekend that finally allows me to stream in HD/Super HD on all my devices.

That is why I pay my dollar and go down to the Red Box. That is if there is something worth watching, most releases are crapola these days. I stream nothing, don't give a shit. Comcast 50 works for all the other stuff I do. Happy Happy Happy1

I'm still rocking on a WISP (wireless ISP) at 15mbps. On evenings, its more like 1.5mpbs due to everyone on netflix. I wish they'd shape the traffic around me!

I'd have a different opinion though if i even used netflix. :D

That is why I pay my dollar and go down to the Red Box. That is if there is something worth watching, most releases are crapola these days. I stream nothing, don't give a shit. Comcast 50 works for all the other stuff I do. Happy Happy Happy1

And you know what. People like you don't matter when it comes to streaming discussions. No more than a guy matters in a discussion about the best female products.

If I paid my $1 to red box for every single thing I watched I would be giving them $100 on a good month. I can easily find hours upon hours upon hours of stuff to stream and so stream hours upon hours upon hours.

Whatever. Netflix on FIOS sucks balls during primetime hours, get buffering constantly and I am on FIOS 50/25. It's Verizon's problem, not sure if they are doing it on purpose or what... they probably would prefer you use their Redbox streaming instead.

So other than Netflix, the world's worst website, and lousy customer service, FIOS is pretty cool.

Whatever. Netflix on FIOS sucks balls during primetime hours, get buffering constantly and I am on FIOS 50/25. It's Verizon's problem, not sure if they are doing it on purpose or what... they probably would prefer you use their Redbox streaming instead.

So other than Netflix, the world's worst website, and lousy customer service, FIOS is pretty cool.

How exactly is Netflix the world's worse website?

uh... Super HD is still a compressed protocol. I think you have to have a really, really bad TV to not notice the difference. Just saying. IMHO, if you can't see the difference, you probably won't notice the difference between Blu-ray and upscaled DVD either.

Thanks to this catastrophic ice storm wiping out power in Georgia, my internet speeds right now are awesome (while I have power)!

I have the exact same tier as you:

3297692153.png

But I still have to wait for SD videos to buffer on Netflix, and in prime time (6 to 10 pm) I'm lucky if the stream is not a blurry mess!

Same here. Speed is not an issue, until it comes to Netflix. I get regular buffering (through BD player or PC) and a medium quality picture most of the time.
These are pretty standard results for me:
3301518838.png

As someone with Time Warner and Netflix, Netflix works great when my internet is working.
Hell, Netflix works great on my Sprint 4g when the Sprint 4g works.
I'm just in a rural area so constant service on anything just blows, which is why I'm still running off of a well and not "city water."

Back