Netflix working on live action Dragon's Lair movie

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/tech...-a-live-action-dragons-lair-movie/ar-BB11QlhW

BB11Qguk.jpg
Netflix is planning to create a live-action movie based on the 80s arcade game Dragon’s Lair and Ryan Reynolds is set to produce and star in the film.

When it first was released back in the 1980s, Dragon’s Lair was one of the best looking games ever made. Thanks to its amazing animation, colourful art, and Laserdisc technology, the game looked unlike any other game found in arcades during that time. It would spawn a few sequels and ports to various consoles. It recently appeared in an episode of the Netflix hit show Stranger Things.

As reported by The Hollywood Reporter, Netflix has been working on getting the rights to Dragon’s Lair for over a year. The Hollywood Reporter also reports that Ryan Reynolds is set to star in the film adaptation and produce too. Original Dragon’s Lair creator and famed animator, Don Bluth, will also be a producer on the film.

The script is being written by Dan and Kevin Hageman, who were behind the screenplay of last year’s Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark. In the original game, players help control knight Dirk the Daring as he tries to save a princess from an evil dragon and wizard, while avoiding traps and other obstacles. The gameplay in the original Dragon’s Lair was limited to hitting buttons when prompts appeared, essentially making the game a giant collection of quick-time events. If played correctly, with no mistakes, the entire game is only about 12 minutes.

No details on when to expect this film, but if you want to see Ryan Reynolds in different video game movie he is starring the upcoming Free Guy.

I wonder how many remember the Saturday morning cartoon based on Dragon's Lair
Not to sure if I watched it or not.
Wasn't there, I thought was titled the same, a live action movie in the early 80s where the chained up a maiden to be sacrifice to a dragon and some guy was collecting scales to act as a shield for the dragons fire. Wizard battles it, get snagged up and he sacrifices himself to help kill it.
Anyone remember the name of that film?

Anyway, looks like Hollywood ran out of ideas again. Hopefully they don't crap the IP.

Any clue if they're going to go finish what they start with Unicron from the Micheal Bay's Transformers films?

I will bet money they will alter the story quite a bit. A knight rescuing a damsel in distress? Soooo not going to fly past the wall of producers.

Umm, why? Also, if it is anything like most of the made for Netflix movies, you wonder how you can get those 2 hours back that you just wasted. :D

I hated that "game". It was just playing back video clips. Move the wrong way, you die. Based on laser disc, so in between motion sequences, was a brief interruption.
Horrible "game", imho.

Remember when they made video games based on movies? Now the movie industry is so lame they are making movies from video games.

This game sucked the ass so the movie has the only option of sucking 2 asses.

I hated that "game". It was just playing back video clips. Move the wrong way, you die. Based on laser disc, so in between motion sequences, was a brief interruption.
Horrible "game", imho.
Remember when they made video games based on movies? Now the movie industry is so lame they are making movies from video games.

This game sucked the ass so the movie has the only option of sucking 2 asses.
Game did what the makers wanted, make a shit load of money and the arcade owners also got their moneys worth in a short period of time iirc.
Sure it didn't have much replay value, but til you finished the game, it kept on eating your quarter time after time again and again.
It drew in the people because it had something few other games had at the time.

Well since in the movies Deadpool has time travel ability now thanks to Cable. . . . .

That game was so different than anything else in the arcade at that time. Rick Dyer was one of the creators of Dragon's Lair and owned a company called RDI that made the Halcyon Video Game System. My dad worked for RDI back then, and we had at least 2 or 3 units at our home at any given time, as my dad was trying to troubleshoot or debug the electronics. We used to play other games on it, too, like Cobra Command, Chargers vs Raiders Football, and my favorite, Thayer's Quest. I still recall my dad going to convention in Florida to promote the system, dressed up as Thayer from the game.

I remember when that game out, damn it was a quarter muncher and a half, I think one local arcade it cost a whole dollar to play (this was really unheard of at the time). And to be honest, the game itself is not really fun as a game, it's simply a series of choose your own adventure choices that you have to do very quickly without thinking much, and IIRC used laser disc as a medium because it could simply load small clips to the screen instead of the traditional chip based game.

Loved all those games. Dragon's Lair, Space Ace. Had the CD-ROMS on my first computer.

Can't lie it was pretty amazing seeing graphics like that (even though they were basically movie clips).

Was also into FMV games, I think Double Switch was my favorite, still have to finish Night Trap some day (the remaster on Steam looks good).

Don Bluth goes to church with my mom. Amazing to see how he still works so hard on this and all his other projects hes got going on. I hope I'm that active and successful at his age!

Was also into FMV games, I think Double Switch was my favorite, still have to finish Night Trap some day (the remaster on Steam looks good).
See I absolutely hate FMV, which is probably why I didn't like these games in the arcade or PC too much hell what was it Far Cry 3? One of the best antagonist in a game and it all came down to a FMV press the button sequence to beat him.

Are any movie and television shows in active production right now?

I only played it a couple times because it was 2 quarters, I was poor, and unless you had some guide it was over quite quickly.

But I do remember lurking around that area of the town's arcade, hoping someone would play it. When they did, I'd Lurch behind them and just stare and listen in wonder. Sometimes freaking them out.
My goal was always to watch what they did to beat the rooms, but I'd get wrapped up in watching it and forget.

Yeah, the arcade game was steep. Especially since it was so easy to die. I only played it once I think on the actual arcade.

I played through it later on PC, I think the game was selling like for $10 or something reasonable.

Wait Michael Bay's movies introduce Unicron? DaFuq? Last one I saw was the one where a) "Steve Jobs" was in it b) super pander to the Chinese for sales c) they got real lazy with transforming and just ended up with a bunch of floating CGI that could turn into anything. I forget which one that was, it may have been the last one for all I know.

See I absolutely hate FMV, which is probably why I didn't like these games in the arcade or PC too much hell what was it Far Cry 3? One of the best antagonist in a game and it all came down to a FMV press the button sequence to beat him.
Are you thinking of QTE for far cry 3? I don't think it had any FMV.

Are you thinking of QTE for far cry 3? I don't think it had any FMV.
Yeah QTE, but it had a very similar feel, here's a movie that plays out, and you need to react with the right button pushes which kind of went against pretty much the basis for the game which was open world, run around where you want to go and kill things in your own fashion.

That was jarring, and disappointing for a game I otherwise quite enjoyed. Dying Light ticked me off with that as well (a game I otherwise enjoy to possibly irrational levels).

I understand it's hard to have a climactic finish with Foozle you've been fighting for possibly 10s of hours in these big games, but man, to have them come down to "press Q in time or lose" - actually really not fun. That and "Bullet Sponge With Hidden Weakness" are kinda how things go.

And yet I do of course keep playing them all. "Have I ever told you about the definition of insanity..." Man, now I kinda want to reinstall and play that again.

I don't mind QTE that much, it feels more engaging than watching a cut scene definitely. Sometimes it can be annoying.

Especially on Heavy Rain (PS4 remaster) I was doing great until the final level but the QTEs were super hard (and I always get confused with PS controller buttons).

The two main characters ended up dying and there were no continues. You have one life to live. That was messed up.

Back