Netflix Will Now Interrupt Series Binges with Video Ads for Its Other Series

Login into Netflix on your computer or phone (don't think you can do it via most streaming apps on TVs.) My Account (top right pull down)>Viewing Activity and then delete/hide (thats what they call it) anything from your "watched" list you didn't like that's giving you bad recommendations. They really should have an easier way of doing it, but it doesn't take that much time and usually I just do it on my phone quick since I usually browse Netflix on it and send whatever I want to watch to my Roku.

Now that I think about it I wonder if giving something a thumbs down will do the same thing. I'm kinda terrible at remembering to ever use their rating system.
Good news the rating system is getting removed.

What makes you think House of Cards is made by HBO? Because it isn't. And Bojack Horseman is an awesome show.
My point was despite the label netflix original it was not made by netflix either... There are so few actual produced for and by Netflix it can be named on 1 hand... Admitted more are piling up and getting announced but still not justification for commercial interruption... It is a bad idea 98% of peoples reason for cutting the cord and taking to Netflix has been to getaway from commercials not so they can enjoy more of them...

My point was despite the label netflix original it was not made by netflix either... There are so few actual produced for and by Netflix it can be named on 1 hand... Admitted more are piling up and getting announced but still not justification for commercial interruption... It is a bad idea 98% of peoples reason for cutting the cord and taking to Netflix has been to getaway from commercials not so they can enjoy more of them...
Then who made it? Because it's only ever been shown on Netflix. The british version it's based off of isn't the same show. So I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.

I remember when cable TV first came out and it was advertised as having zero commercials. We all know how that turned out. It doesn't surprise me one bit about netflix rolling out commercials. So glad I never signed up. I rarely watch anything on TV anymore.

Then who made it? Because it's only ever been shown on Netflix. The british version it's based off of isn't the same show. So I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Netflix

dig deeper into each series, and you will see that many are being shopped around. Once Netflix bought the rights, they slap it with their Netflix Original tag . ( a marketing tag )

The actual production input into each series varies, but most just means funding with no or very limited creative control.

No diff then network or cable. Filmmaking and production requires a very diff set of personnel than broadcast.

Incorrect it was shown on various other mediums outside the us and the dvds are produced by Sony home pictures. Netflix did however finance the show in return for initial broadcast rights. So technically it can be considered one of the first Netflix originals they actually had anything to do with. However hbo, Showtime and amc were also bidding for it so not like Netflix was the only way the show was gonna get made...

Incorrect it was shown on various other mediums outside the us and the dvds are produced by Sony home pictures. Netflix did however finance the show in return for initial broadcast rights. So technically it can be considered one of the first Netflix originals they actually had anything to do with. However hbo, Showtime and amc were also bidding for it so not like Netflix was the only way the show was gonna get made...
That's because netflix wasn't available in those areas. If it were to go to syndication, netflix would be paid for it. Making it netlix's show. The show probably would have been made either way, but that's like saying the Sopranos would have been made anyways, so it's not really HBO's.

I agree with this.

If the recommendations are for Netflix originals that I'm likely to get into, but otherwise wouldn't have given a chance, I'm for it. I'm too much a creature of habit that I get sucked into watching the same two shows on repeat over and over and over. I hardly give new shows a chance so I can see why they would implement something like this.

Back to the horde mentality: Fuck commericals! I'm canceling (but secretly still subscribe) if they do it! Wah!
Reality is they will ratchet the concept of commercials up slowly until people do start dropping. The proverbial boiling frog. They're doing content people don't want to watch as much as they use to. Plenty of failed shows. Rather than give that crap up, they're doing this. Get Woke Go Broke.

Oh, hey, lets do the thing that cable did that made people leave cable and see how many people decide that maybe they'd rather go play video games or go to another service, or hey, go outside for a change.

Turned our sub off a couple days ago.

You know what a useful feature would have been? A banish forever option. Let me click and then never have to see a series in my UI again.

They keep it up and we'll be cancelling. Normally it's just me that gets annoyed by this kind of trash, but my wife is frustrated as well. While you can skip them, it doesn't *really* work that well, is not intuitive, and even after skipping, you then *still* have to click the select to start the next episode. So now, instead of either waiting 30 seconds (with current episode credits rolling) or clicking for immediate next episode, one has to wait around 5 seconds for the trailer to spin up, then click the select button, wait a second or two to see if that actually registered, click it another three times because it didn't, then it moves over to 'next episode' with a 10 second timer, which then needs another click.

When the wife is irritated, changes get made quicker, because I'm irritated most of the time :)

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Exactly. Wtf else are you going to go?

Cable costs 10x as much and has 1000x as many ads. The other alternatives probably will not offer all the programming you want to watch. Netflix is still a bargain and you know it.

Does this foreshadow an unfortunate commercial-full-future? You betcha. But let's be realistic - you're not going to cancel.

https://kodi.tv/

Reactions: Meeho
like this
I agree with this.

If the recommendations are for Netflix originals that I'm likely to get into, but otherwise wouldn't have given a chance, I'm for it. I'm too much a creature of habit that I get sucked into watching the same two shows on repeat over and over and over. I hardly give new shows a chance so I can see why they would implement something like this.

Back to the horde mentality: Fuck commericals! I'm canceling (but secretly still subscribe) if they do it! Wah!

You ever hear of winning a war through creep? You start with something small they won't object with then you keep hitting them with small changes till g you get your final goal

Key examples are abortion and gun laws. It's also known as attrition through lawsuits. Wear down your enemy slowly to achieve your objective.

In this case they are intrusive. But soon enough without competition they will get more aggressive. Gotta make that money for those stock holders.

What exactly is the uplift you receive from reminding someone who is already paying for your service and trying to enjoy it that there is some other part of the service you "think" they should be enjoying more instead?

I am always pleased with the consideration companies give towards encouraging me to get off my butt and do something else.

Looks like they started them and they're not bad. After an episode it shows you a screen show you might like... All you have to do is push the "enter" or "OK" button and it immediately starts the next episode of the show you were watching.

I don't have a problem with that at all. So long as it stays like this, shows me something but is easy to continue from, it's all good.

Back