Netflix Will Now Interrupt Series Binges with Video Ads for Its Other Series

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Commercials may soon be coming to Netflix: following user reports on reddit, the streaming giant has acknowledged it is testing “recommendations” that will air in between episodes to advertise shows a viewer may enjoy. All customer reviews were also purged Friday.

In a statement given to Ars Technica, Netflix described the change as follows: "We are testing whether surfacing recommendations between episodes helps members discover stories they will enjoy faster." The reasoning, Netflix's statement says, comes from its last controversial decision: to add auto-playing videos, complete with unmuteable audio, while browsing through Netflix content.

So long as it is only after watching several shows in a row and doesn't interrupt any show mid stream and so long as it is ONLY for their original content, I'm completely fine with it. However the second they do shit like Cable or hulu is the second I cancel their shit. I don't want to be advertised products and I don't want my show interrupted. So long as those criteria are met, I can ignore what is more of a show promotion than a real commercial.

So long as it is only after watching several shows in a row and doesn't interrupt any show mid stream and so long as it is ONLY for their original content, I'm completely fine with it. However the second they do shit like Cable or hulu is the second I cancel their shit. I don't want to be advertised products and I don't want my show interrupted. So long as those criteria are met, I can ignore what is more of a show promotion than a real commercial.

I agree with this.

If the recommendations are for Netflix originals that I'm likely to get into, but otherwise wouldn't have given a chance, I'm for it. I'm too much a creature of habit that I get sucked into watching the same two shows on repeat over and over and over. I hardly give new shows a chance so I can see why they would implement something like this.

Back to the horde mentality: Fuck commericals! I'm canceling (but secretly still subscribe) if they do it! Wah!

Last edited:
This can be OK depending on how they do it. If it's just a window that pops up after an episode and all you have to do is push a button to skip and go to the next episode I can live with it... Kinda like the video recommendations YouTube puts up after a video.

If it's some 30 second long trailer complete with audio that you have to sit thru or push a whole bunch of buttons to get around then fuck Netflix. Their auto-trailers that they force on us now while browsing the menu is almost making me want to ditch my membership. I've been mostly watching Amazon Prime Video lately anyway.

This can be OK depending on how they do it. If it's just a window that pops up after an episode and all you have to do is push a button to skip and go to the next episode I can live with it... Kinda like the video recommendations YouTube puts up after a video.

If it's some 30 second long trailer complete with audio that you have to sit thru or push a whole bunch of buttons to get around then fuck Netflix. Their auto-trailers that they force on us now while browsing the menu is almost making me want to ditch my membership. I've been mostly watching Amazon Prime Video lately anyway.

From reading through the Reddit, they're currently testing two methods. One is with a skip option after timer and the other is unskippable.

If it's only for their content, maybe. If it's only for their content and it can be skipped, then I'm OK with it. If not, and I start seeing the same ad repeated, it'd suck. But I'm sure there's content I'm unaware of and a trailer would help me find that content.

The devils in the details. They need to be very careful on this one.

"We are testing whether surfacing recommendations between episodes helps members discover stories they will enjoy faster."

I hate, hate , HATE their recommendations. They absolutely suck. I swear, they just randomly recommend shit.

How do I get Netflix to erase my data so its stops showing me shit I dont wanna watch?
create a new profile?

"We are testing whether surfacing recommendations between episodes helps members discover stories they will enjoy faster."

I hate, hate , HATE their recommendations. They absolutely suck. I swear, they just randomly recommend shit.
I generally find them decent, but I think they recommended Lost in Space and the first ep was pretty bad. Maybe it gets better, but I have too many other shows to watch to bother for now.

This is how Hulu works with its "commercial free" service option for some content. Its not that bad, and I can't say this surprises me. I can't say I'm looking forward to this shit, but its better than getting fucked by the cable company.

This is how Hulu works with its "commercial free" service option for some content. Its not that bad, and I can't say this surprises me. I can't say I'm looking forward to this shit, but its better than getting fucked by the cable company.

Except hulu shows commercials for products, not original content. They can eat a bag of dicks.

And this...

I remember when there were no commercials on cable..... and I suspect that 25 years from now, someone will be sayin "I remember when there were no commercials on Netflix"

...is how this happens.

I see a commercial I cancel my service. It's the entire reason I use them. If I pay for a service... The service better provide what I want... And I don't want commercials!

yeah agree, i'm fine with it being a commercial for another netflix original show playing in the end credit screen.. but the second i see a commercial for some bullshit not related to netflix i'm instantly cancelling.

create a new profile?

I generally find them decent, but I think they recommended Lost in Space and the first ep was pretty bad. Maybe it gets better, but I have too many other shows to watch to bother for now.

it gets better.

And this...

...is how this happens.

Yes! Ads are like a disease. First it's just one little ad then they're everywhere to the point you almost can't see the content you're trying to look at. I cut the cord and went to Netflix 85% because of commercials making TV unwatchable. If Netflix starts this shit too I'll dump it too and just watch YouTube with adblock on.

I'm all for ads because I want these guys to get paid but when it gets in the way of the content then it's not worth it. When I have to watch a 30 second commercial before I watch a 45 second highlight video on Fox Sports, I'd rather just do without it.

Yes! Ads are like a disease. First it's just one little ad then they're everywhere to the point you almost can't see the content you're trying to look at. I cut the cord and went to Netflix 85% because of commercials making TV unwatchable. If Netflix starts this shit too I'll dump it too and just watch YouTube with adblock on.

I'm all for ads because I want these guys to get paid but when it gets in the way of the content then it's not worth it. When I have to watch a 30 second commercial before I watch a 45 second highlight video on Fox Sports, I'd rather just do without it.

I’ve pretty much went full time youtube unless I’m out of town for work, then i’ll watch cable (half assed watch.. cause its usually nothing good and i just mute it when commercials come on).

I remember when there were no commercials on cable..... and I suspect that 25 years from now, someone will be sayin "I remember when there were no commercials on Netflix"

And back then I’m sure you didn’t have people saying “ I’m gunna throw my god damn tv out the window if they keep pushing these ads on me!”

People threatening to cancel Netflix as if there was an alternative are delusional. Prime doesn’t have a good selection, HBO doesn’t have non-first party tv shows, and the list goes on. Netflix is too important to the TV binging crowd that populate this forum that any threat of cancellation is mere showman bravado bullshit.

I've never had a cord to cut, I still have a netflix subscription but 90% of what I watch is from my OTA DVR on plex. Auto-strips the commercials for me and everything.

And back then I’m sure you didn’t have people saying “ I’m gunna throw my god damn tv out the window if they keep pushing these ads on me!”

People threatening to cancel Netflix as if there was an alternative are delusional. Prime doesn’t have a good selection, HBO doesn’t have non-first party tv shows, and the list goes on. Netflix is too important to the TV binging crowd that populate this forum that any threat of cancellation is mere showman bravado bullshit.

Meh. Prime's original shows are starting to be a lot better than anything I've seen from Netflix in a while. Add to that OTA programming, plex plugin channels like food network and comedy central... Netflix could go away tomorrow and I wouldn't be struggling to find good shows to watch.

Last edited:

People threatening to cancel Netflix as if there was an alternative are delusional.

I've seen a lot of people (other places) say they'd go back to torrents if they ever see a commercial within the episode.

I can see that .. we've become accustomed to be anti-ad and I literally can't watch traditional TV because of all of the commercial breaks. So I'd go back to being subscribed (to pay for the content), but download the episodes commercial free.

Remember all of the hoopla many years ago when the auto-skip commercial tech was being rolled into DVR's and PC-Tuner software? The industry through a collective fit over that.

I am fine with it if they show me one advertisement after one episode. I mean common I can take a break between then. You all have to realize netflix will go under if they don't find ways to get revenue. I mean its worth it to me vs paying higher prices monthly year over year. I am not sure why people get so mad, producing content is fuckin hard, and costs shit ton of money. With the competition netfix is facing I am fine with it in between episodes. IF they implement it nice it might be okay. I mean after an hour episode I see don't mind a minute or two long advertisement content to get netflix paid instead of increase in monthly bill. I am not sure if there is reason to be so pissed about it if it is implemented in non intrusive way. Shit with so many viewers netflix has, they don't need too many commercials. In between binge watching a few commercials can generate millions of views. Netflix has to generate some more revenue for the in house content. They pump out alot more original content than anyone, As long as they keep pumping original content and don't raise my monthly I am fine with few commercials or ads or whatever they want to throw at me in between episodes. But if they raise cost at the same time, that is a no no or also if they throw a bunch of them throughout the episode.

Damn you can't watch a minute long commercial or go take a piss brake if it means netflix will have more revenue to produce original content and compete? Trust me its going to be uphill batter for netflix with so much competition in streaming space and original content is money. If they put that money back in to making better content I am all for it. I mean would you rather pay higher monthly increases year over year?

I've seen a lot of people (other places) say they'd go back to torrents if they ever see a commercial within the episode.

I can see that .. we've become accustomed to be anti-ad and I literally can't watch traditional TV because of all of the commercial breaks. So I'd go back to being subscribed (to pay for the content), but download the episodes commercial free.

Remember all of the hoopla many years ago when the auto-skip commercial tech was being rolled into DVR's and PC-Tuner software? The industry through a collective fit over that.

I used to torrent TV shows left and right and even I wouldn’t go back to that. I just don’t like putting up with having to go to those shady ass sites (even the members only ones) and then later having to setup a file shaaring media server like Plex to play it on my TV.

I haven’t been able to find an alternative to My tried and true Netflix and HBO Now combination.

Damn you can't watch a minute long commercial or go take a piss brake if it means netflix will have more revenue to produce original content and compete? Trust me its going to be uphill batter for netflix with so much competition in streaming space and original content is money. If they put that money back in to making better content I am all for it. I mean would you rather pay higher monthly increases year over year?

Yep, a single one minute long commercial. Won't be long til it's just 3, minute long commercials.... Then slide in a 15 second spot.... Hell might as well add another 15 second ad cause nobody will notice.

Like I said, ads are like a disease. They start small then slowly multiply and spread til they kill the content. Watch any TV show on live TV. There's literally a 5 minute long commercial break every 5 minutes!

So yeah, the whole "slippery slope" thing.

If it's a tiered service, such as pay $2 extra per month for absolutely no commercials, I'll pony up. If not, or like $10 more, I'll cancel. Netflix in my opinion has been getting far worse lately. I'm not a fan of any of their originals (they all seem to be very formulaic), and they've been pushing their originals over 3rd party movies/shows.

I'm mainly a horror movie fanatic, and other services like Shudder offer an excellent alternative. ($45 per year, and they have a great selection of horror movies, far better than Netflix and Amazon Prime).

Yep, a single one minute long commercial. Won't be long til it's just 3, minute long commercials.... Then slide in a 15 second spot.... Hell might as well add another 15 second ad cause nobody will notice.

Like I said, ads are like a disease. They start small then slowly multiply and spread til they kill the content. Watch any TV show on live TV. There's literally a 5 minute long commercial break every 5 minutes!

So yeah, the whole "slippery slope" thing.

True if it gets to that cancel. But until that happens we can't knock them for that. All I know is this, content cost is going to keep increasing. I think unless netflix finds a way to generate more revenue I see it going bust down the road. They are going to have to raise costs either way with everyone locking up content. Either people pay more or they put some sort of targeted ads here and there in between episodes not throughout them.

True if it gets to that cancel. But until that happens we can't knock them for that. All I know is this, content cost is going to keep increasing. I think unless netflix finds a way to generate more revenue I see it going bust down the road. They are going to have to raise costs either way with everyone locking up content. Either people pay more or they put some sort of targeted ads here and there in between episodes not throughout them.

Exactly.

People these days really feel entitled to their service that they can’t fathom any changes to it.

You hear about millennials so much that you’d think we’re the problem. It’s really the old farts that raised us that are the problem.

Us younger generation have no problems adapting to reasonable change.

You’ll never hear news outlets call out old entitled baby boomers but boy do they exist and boy are they super loud. It’s like they want some type of badge of honor simply for fucking and having created an offspring that they feel more superior to the people they’ve raised as adults.

Last edited:
I'm not a netflix user so I'm not sure, but would there be a way to do adblock for it, even if it's a side app using community-collected time-stamps to mute/black-out ads when they come up?

And yet this is the exact reason I cancelled my Prime subscription, because Amazon already does this. It lasted exactly 3 days before I cancelled.

And as long as I can skip the commercial with a single button press.

I've never had a cord to cut, I still have a netflix subscription but 90% of what I watch is from my OTA DVR on plex. Auto-strips the commercials for me and everything.

I'm ok using the Fast Forward button on my remote while watching shows on my DVR. At least that way I still get a little exercise :p

Only problem is that I'm stuck with cable, since I can't get any OTA TV.
Been using Windows 7 Media center and a cable card tuner for years.
4 Tuners and a 4TB drive means we rarely have a channel conflict or a recording space problem.

And to think, their subscribers have given them years of record revenue with which to develop "the commercial break":wtf:

My subscription ended this month, really didn't care for a lot of the the Netflix originals they are adding lately. Sticking with Amazon Prime video for now...

As others have said, I watched this sort of crap progress with cable, which originally had NO commercials. I have Netflix *because* it doesn't have any commercials. When I had Hulu, I got the top tier because I don't want commercials. If Netflix makes it impossible to avoid commercials, or makes it too expensive to get it commercial-free: I'm gone. I DO NOT GIVE A CRAP about financing their original content stuff. If they need to charge me more to keep developing as a company, then charge me more, and if I find the new rate acceptable, I'll keep my subscription. But if they shove commercials at me -- *any* commercials at all -- I'm gone, and I expect that'll be true of a lot of people.

I have to assume Netflix is aware of this, so maybe what will happen is the creation of a new subscription tier, like Hulu has, to get the service with no commercials. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Back