Netflix Test Varying Play Speeds: Makes Filmmakers Mad

Who is Judd Apatow anyway? That name means nothing to me.

He has cranked out a ton of "adult humor" movies like the 40 year old virgin, knocked up, etc. Not exactly fine works of art.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0031976/#director

The Last Jedi was actually better when watched in 4x speed (though i still FF past the Canto Bight scene).

I found the best way to watch TLJ is to stab yourself in both eyes with a screwdriver, then puncture both eardrums so you don't have to listen to it either. It's a high price to pay to not see or hear a movie, but I feel it is worth the trip to the hospital. j/k ;) (not kidding about how much I hated that movie)

Who is Judd Apatow anyway? That name means nothing to me.
Just another stuck up movie producer who thinks he's the most important person in the world like Cameron and Spielberg. Looking at his filmography I can actually safely say I've never seen anything he's had his hands in.

Just another stuck up movie producer who thinks he's the most important person in the world like Cameron and Spielberg. Looking at his filmography I can actually safely say I've never seen anything he's had his hands in.

You've never seen 40 year old virgin? Liar. That was by far his best movie, and that isn't saying much.

If people could download a movie into their brain in 0.5 seconds instead of watching it for 1.5 hours, they would.

Actually no. I prefer the visual experience... This is why I watch TV and movies, but don't read books.

Some film makers also bitched about high resolutions and refresh rates because new tech is exposing their ugly make up and stuff. I understand wanting to control what the audience sees/hears at the theater but at my home? Fuck you mister film maker. Fuck you a million times. A few "prominent" video game makes have also expressed similar views. I've had people arguing game speed runners aren't true gamers lol "A game should be played exactly as its authors intended". Fuck that

eseg-the-factory-tint-settings-are-always-too-high-truth-55024576.png

Last edited:
I'm one of those people that watches at 1.5x speed. Specifically, anime. Look, I don't understand the language anyway, and I can read the subtitles in 1/10th the time it takes the character to speak. The rest of the time, I'm watching a still frame with a moving mouth. It's frustrating. Imagine reading a book, but having to stop for a full minute every time you turn the page. It's not like there's some amazing soundtrack or killer animation going on, either. And if there is, well, it's literally one click to drop it down to the original speed. (Which I have done - A Silent Voice, Your Name, anything Ghibli, etc).

I couldn't imagine wanting to watch something this way as it would ruin the cinematic presentation of the show, but there are people out there willing to watch cam versions of films so I guess it's not surprising that there are people watching stuff at 1.25x or 1.5x speeds.

not all players do that. some players adjust audio so its faster but no change in pitch.
there is content i want to relax and enjoy, but there are others i just want to consume, so i like the speed options.

This is how european tv is.
Movies are in 24 FPS
Power is in 50HZ. so they speed yp the movie to be running at 25FPS and send out half a frame power power cycle
So yeah a movie running times in EU on TB is abput 4% shorter then in american TV

US doe the "lets cut all those frames into pieces and let inser them and repeat some pieces so you get horrible interlining effect but now it fits the 30fps/60hz tv's...

If it's just letting the user change speed if they want, I don't see a problem.

If it's just letting the user change speed if they want, I don't see a problem.

If you're not watching The 40 Year Old Version the way the director intended, you're *doing it wrong*, you cretin. How dare you speed up awkward fart jokes!

/s (just in case)

Don't these old farts remeber record players. Variable speeds and backwards playback... was it a big deal then, and did popular artists not take advantage of it even. If they want total control then don't get into a business that sells content to consumers and instead only do private gallery viewings or something for your precious "experiences"

I don't use Netflix, but there's no fast forward feature already? Or is it a "skip forward" feature, unlike what VCRs of old used to do with FF.

I don't use Netflix, but there's no fast forward feature already? Or is it a "skip forward" feature, unlike what VCRs of old used to do with FF.
no i think there is just the slider bar and you can skip intros for some series.

Lets be honest, 90% of my Netflix time is spent when I am doing other things and I just need something on in the background to work at white noise. If somebody were to speed it up on me with out me knowing I honestly wonder how long it would take me to actually notice the change.

^ yea we noticed that Lakados, and we actually have sped it up and saw you worked and talked about 2x faster... just a bit annoying when you do it naked, that extra jiggle doesn't sit well with some of us

Reactions: dgz
like this
Back