Netflix Stock, Website Both Go Down

HardOCP News

[H] News
What is worse than having your stock hit its lowest point ever? How about having your website crash the very same day. Netflix must be having “one of those weeks.”

Netflix Inc.'s stock price plunged to its lowest point in more than two years Tuesday after the online DVD rental leader reported the first quarterly customer losses in its history and dimmed its earnings outlook for the rest of the year. To make matters worse, Netflix's Web site — the hub of its rental system — went down Monday evening and remained inaccessible as of Tuesday afternoon.

Ironic news because I was going to cancel my account today :p

NFLX is a goner....

I was a subscriber for about 4 months. The first month was great, i got about 3 dvds a week on the 1dvd at a time plan for 9.99. so 12 dvds a month. at 76 cents stamp round trip, that is about even for what i paid for the plan.

Then a month goes by, I am getting 2.-2.5 dvds a week. For the second month, it seemed that it just got slower by a day for each round trip. well, the post office never change location, so I knew Netflix is delaying on purpose

Then another month, i am lucky to get 2 a week.

then it got worse, sometimes instead of Friday delivery, they delay it to monday...all the freaking tricks. i canceled after that.

Anybody here think that Apple TV is ripping NFLX apart?

it has been very steady for my dad who has it. hope it doesn't go away

its still down! haha..
im with blockbuster..
$18 a month for 3 out a time
then swap them in store for free BR movies
plus a free game rental every month
hell even if i just rent 3 movies a month + a game..im already saving $$ with the online bit.
and with the speed of blockbuster, im getting about 48 movies a month (inlcudes instore swap)..and doing so twice a week.
so 48x $4.50 + $8 for a game, gives me a savings of over $200 a month
considering BR/HD-dvd are $5/piece to rent without a plan..that brings in even MORE savings

I've been a Netflix subscriber since fall of 1999. I used to be on the three at a time plan, then went down to two at a time. I watch both movies on the weekend, stick them in the mail Monday afternoon and have the next two by Thursday.

There have been some glitches over the years but for the most part things have gone very, very, well. They have an amazing selection and good service.

I'll be sticking with them to the end.

NFLX is a goner....

I was a subscriber for about 4 months. The first month was great, i got about 3 dvds a week on the 1dvd at a time plan for 9.99. so 12 dvds a month. at 76 cents stamp round trip, that is about even for what i paid for the plan.

Then a month goes by, I am getting 2.-2.5 dvds a week. For the second month, it seemed that it just got slower by a day for each round trip. well, the post office never change location, so I knew Netflix is delaying on purpose

Then another month, i am lucky to get 2 a week.

then it got worse, sometimes instead of Friday delivery, they delay it to monday...all the freaking tricks. i canceled after that.

I heard that awhile back Netflix was slowing down the shipments to heavy users that way they didn't get too much for the money.

This might make Blockbuster's day, but I'd hate to see Netflix go away. They helped me break my DVD-buying habit, and I've seen a number of shows I wouldn't have otherwise.

um am i the only one that can get to netflix? i was using it last night and was re-organizing my queue today at work soooooooo... unless the netflix server is down the street (kinda doubt) i dont see the site being down? :confused:

i have enjoyed my netflix account... i dont plan on cancelling it anytime soon

I've had it off and on for a couple months. It was great the first month each time I renewed, but it seemed after they got my money for the second month it slowed down very noticably. DVD's in stock were being sent delayed by 2-3 days for no reason other than processing.

I quit buying Dvd's thanks to netflix. And hopefully some day their streaming site will leave beta and i can throw out my dvd player.:p

This kinda falls under "duh". You're not factoring in processing, warehousing, website production/maintenance, the price of the DVD and envelope, the VP's country club membership, etc. So the very fact that they made you, who was costing them money rather than generating a profit, cancel means that they will be making more money as opposed to functioning as a charity.

The main problem I have with netflix is after four years it's difficult to find anything worth putting in the queue.

I was a victim of netflixes throttling.... so I dumped their account. They can eat me.

I'm a victim of their throttling, but I've caught up with most movies, just new releases. Between that, a ps3, soon to be 360, work, going out, and Tivo, man there just isn't enough time anymore, but I still like netflix and do not wish it to go down.

Blockbuster site is horrible and closest b&m is 15 miles away.

I got sick and tired of the throttling I experienced with Netflix. I switched over to blockbuster because I have a store nearby. If I wanted to, I could easily get 40-50 DVD's a month with their 3 at a time program, and I get a free game rental every month.

Netflix was great when it came out, but I think their treatment of their customers is hurting them.

Ive heard the same thing too. Whether its true or not is up to your own interpretation.

Definitely true.

I caught on to this fact when I would ship three DVDs back in a single envelope.

Netflix was receiving them back in a single envelope, but on different days.

One time the three DVDs were received something like three days apart from one another: one would be received Monday, one Wed/Thu, one Fri/Mon.

So I called to report a missing DVD. I told them that all DVDs were shipped in the same envelope. They should have them all. Wouldn't they like to investigate a lost DVD?

They were not concerned at all.

"We're sure it'll show up."

The reason they had no concern at all is because they already had it, just wouldn't process it due to their queue throttling...

Since then I have gone down to the bare minimum acct... As close as I could get to canceling...

I wouldn't be upset if they would have just been honest with me...

But throttling by multiple days (and up to a week) sure wasted my time in being concerned about lost DVDs in the mail!

But yes, I used to mail my DVDs out on Monday, get the new ones by Wed-Sat, then mail 'em back out Monday... Doesn't sound excessive...

By the time I all but canceled, I was lucky if I was getting my new DVDs every-other week...

I was never a receive 'em one day, in the mail the next, receive the new ones next day, rinse/repeat 'abuser' though...

Eh, if they disappear, at least that'll save me my $5/month... I know I received a DVD from them about six weeks ago, but I haven't opened it yet, can't be bothered to remember what it was... So, at the moment, I am donating to them for no service...

Also, ummm, if anyone wants to comment on any slowdowns I encountered: I always dropped them off in a USPS box, and they went to an address in my city... So, I don't want to hear excuses for a week's worth of delays becoming standard...

I did indeed rent a lot of DVDs, but I never was able to get two sets of new DVDs in one week... Only one new set a week... Like I said, that then went down to every-other week... Not good service to someone who can't really be considered an 'abuser' IMHO...

But for hard to find stuff, especially foreign, they're still worth the minimum acct IMHO...

Still takes a week to get the next DVD though... Seems a bit too long, if Blockbuster costs the same...

Apparanty a server in downtown San Francisco had a power outage, taking Netflix, Craigslist, and a few other places with them.

The main problem I have with netflix is after four years it's difficult to find anything worth putting in the queue.

I've been with them four years also, but my queue has ALWAYS been full... Even right now, with the minimum acct, I still have 450+ in my queue...

IMHO there's plenty still left to rent... Getting them to ship the stuff is my issue...

I don't have time to watch most of it anymore, anyway, just like someone else has already said...

I've had a pleasant experience with Netflix ever since I subscribed (quite a few months ago). Often times I get a new set of DVDs a day or 2 after I mail off the last set. I would really hate to see Netflix in trouble, as its one of the most trouble-free online services I've ever used. Any damaged/unplayable DVD I received just takes a few clicks, and you'll get another one without having to turn in the obsolete DVD first. They assume that the customers are honest reporters to an extent, which is pretty rare nowadays.

I love NetFlix, my girlfriend got me a 3 month subscription; (3 at a time) for Valentine's back in 2005. I didn't activate it until June of 05, because I was in the process of moving, and didn't want to go through the hassle of changing addresses.
After the first month was up, I decided I loved the service and signed up for the 3 at a time deal. After I moved in 2006, I upped the subscription to 4 at a time, and I couldn't be happier. The thing I love about it, is that there isn't a specified time you can keep the movies. Hell, there has been more that once when I have had 4 movies sitting on my couch waiting to be watched and a month to 6 weeks later I finally get around to watching them and sending them back. I go through periods where I am sending and receiving movies 2-3 times a week and other times where I don't get a new movie for a month or more. I have not had any trouble with them, and I hope that they don't go away. I am not a big Blockbuster fan, and I would rather not give them my money.

No. The apple movies quality is shit. Netflix is like a phone plan, people get pissed after a while just having to pay for minutes they don't use.

Plus their shipment is crap, crap scratches, crap cracks in the disks, crap slowness. Crap expensive. Crap.

greencine.com

To all the people with no lives that try to watch 17 dvd's a week using the Netflix service:

News flash "They want you to go away". Surprise! I would throttle you too. You are worth more being a PITA at Blockbuster than a thorn in the side at Netflix and costing them, not making them, $$. Yes they are a FOR PROFIT BUSINESS.

I ran with both Block Buster and Netflix for 2 months to determine which service I was going to keep. Netflix hands down had BB beat. I could care less about in store trade in since the selection has almost nothing I want. BB constantly had queue delays, long waits, longer shipping, and much smaller library.

Netflix has a huge library and I am done with the crap that currently get churned out by the big studios. I also like their streaming service since I have an HTPC.

I also canceled Netflix since it was taking too long to receive movies. As much as I hated blockbusters I prefer their services better since they have a distribution center where I live as well as the new in store game and movie rentals with your plan.

I also canceled Netflix since it was taking too long to receive movies.

QFT

I decided to try out Blockbuster's package and I love it. Being able to swap in store means you are never without a movie. Of course, now not having enough time to watch them all is the problem :rolleyes:

BB often has free 1 month trials. I had my third from them the last time I signed up, a fatcash refund of 1 month rate.

There's a new 1 free month code at BB, supposedly good for new and returning customers (new email address required for returning customers for it to work): morevalue2

I might cancel my account and sign up for free instead of going to NetFlix... yet.

To all the people with no lives that try to watch 17 dvd's a week using the Netflix service:
The sad thing is if you get 4-5 movies a week, NetFlix will also throttle you after a couple of months. The problem is that NetFlix advertises the plans as unlimited, when it's clearly not, even for reasonable use of the service.

Now i've seen it all, video service fanboys. :rolleyes:

I've had Netflix for about a year now, my roommate and I use it up at college. We use the 4 at a time, unlimited. We probably go through 8 a week, and never really have a problem. Ship them out monday, get new ones wednesday-thursday. It seemed like they held us back in Feburary for a few weeks, but that was about it. Other then that though they have been pretty good.

I've never tried Netflix, but why would I? Blockbuster offers so much more. It's no surprise their company's not doing well.

I've had a 3 at a time BB account for 3 years and never had a problem getting DVDs quick. It's always been one day shipping back and forth. So basically I'd easily have 3-4 DVDs per week--never any kind of delays or "throttling" for me with BB. That, along with the in store exchange policy they have, you pretty much double the amount of movies you get for the same price. Also the selection is huge. I've never had a problem finding a DVD with BB Online.

I canceled yesterday. Been on the 5 DVD's for about 4 years now. I am just tired of the whole process.
I hope they sell out to amazon before it gets to late.
Ironic news because I was going to cancel my account today :p

Apparanty a server in downtown San Francisco had a power outage, taking Netflix, Craigslist, and a few other places with them.

Yup Yup...power outtage here in the city took power from some 50,000 people including many buildings and businesses downtown.

This might make Blockbuster's day, but I'd hate to see Netflix go away. They helped me break my DVD-buying habit, and I've seen a number of shows I wouldn't have otherwise.

Blockbuster is dancing a jig right now. I can see them undercutting Netflix even more and meveraging their B&M even more just to put Netflix under then raise their rates afterwards and stop a bunch of their practices now.

Blockbuster is dancing a jig right now. I can see them undercutting Netflix even more and leveraging their B&M even more just to put Netflix under then raise their rates afterwards and stop a bunch of their practices now.

If Netfllix goes under it would be a very bad thing for us. BB wasnt as nice to us as it is now mostly because of Netflix. If they can get them to go under they can resume their previous ways.

Of course, competition is always great for the consumer.

But I'm sure BB would lose many customers if they raised prices among other things upon the demise of Netflix. I for one would cancel my account.

I have been a Netflix customer for 2 years now, I have the 3 at a time ultimated. I have been really happy with their service. I get 3 movies on monday, send them back and so on. I can get up to 9 movies a week. There has only been a few times where i have got cracked dvd's but they send replacements out right away. I am kinda shocked to read about this, i thought netflix was doing well.
It goes to show that anything can happen in today's market.

I've had netflix for several months now. On the 3 at once plan, and I dont leave them lying around. Quick turnaround for me watch and send em back. No noticable throttling. Guess i'm just lucky or something. Ill continue to use the service.

Back