Netflix Staying Out of Ratings 'Arms Race'

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Netflix is making more of the big broadcast networks nervous. How nervous? NBC has resorted to quoting third-party ratings data on Netflix shows at press events to make its shows look good even though everyone knows Netflix doesn't release viewership numbers.

One metric he did cite as evidence of the popularity of Netflix programming was growth in subscribers. “If we were spending a lot of money on shows people weren’t watching, they’d cancel,” he said. Unlike any of the other companies presenting here, you can cancel Netflix with one click. Try calling your cable company and getting rid of a channel you’re not watching.”

I'm sure Netflix could release decent viewership numbers on their original content, but what's the point? Lots of people will just wait until 2 or 3 seasons of that content is out and then binge-watch a whole series. How does that type of viewership work out on ratings?

I'm sure Netflix could release decent viewership numbers on their original content, but what's the point? Lots of people will just wait until 2 or 3 seasons of that content is out and then binge-watch a whole series. How does that type of viewership work out on ratings?

Also, the ratings for standard TV are estimates based on a sample. Netflix could release actual numbers such as unique views (per account). But since they don't do ads, there's no need.

Bingo, what is the point? All NBC's actions show is that regular cable networks don't even realize that they are not even in the same game as Netflix.

Regular Cable: Watch what we show, when we show it. Compete for prime time viewship and total viewership to drive AD revenue.

Netflix: Monthly subscription service driven by available content.

They literally don't compete, at best the cable providers compete with netflix, like AT&T. Netflix doesn't need to track viewship, all they need to track is subscriptions to report income and profit.

It's really not the same. Any numbers they release would be compared as if they were apples to apples when they aren't so I don't blame them. As has already been said, they aren't selling ads, so they don't need to drum up viewership numbers.

I've watched some of the netflix original content and thought it was well done. I hope they continue to make more. What I like about the netflix model is that a show doesn't have to fight for a prime time spot so hopefully shows that might not be popular enough for regular tv but that people still like (say Jericho or Firefly) that got canceled may be able to survive under the netflix model. So long as they are profitable it may not matter as much if another show is more profitable. Assuming you have the resources to do both.

I've watched some of the netflix original content and thought it was well done. I hope they continue to make more. What I like about the netflix model is that a show doesn't have to fight for a prime time spot so hopefully shows that might not be popular enough for regular tv but that people still like (say Jericho or Firefly) that got canceled may be able to survive under the netflix model. So long as they are profitable it may not matter as much if another show is more profitable. Assuming you have the resources to do both.

They've already shown that they are capable of taking a canceled show and reviving it successfully. The first example I can think of is Arrested Development got a 4th season and I think talks of a 5th. More recently The Killing, and a series based on the movie Wet Hot American Summer.

Honestly they're probably a top content creator right now and already show interest in reviving/expanding cult classics.

They've already shown that they are capable of taking a canceled show and reviving it successfully. The first example I can think of is Arrested Development got a 4th season and I think talks of a 5th. More recently The Killing, and a series based on the movie Wet Hot American Summer.

Honestly they're probably a top content creator right now and already show interest in reviving/expanding cult classics.
I think you are right, may prove decent content doesn't have to be so expensive, and networks are just greedy mfers.

And what works in Netflix's favor is that they do not have to abide by any demographics or time slots. They can do super raunchy Orange Is The New Black, dumb as shit Bojack Horseman, and then the anime Seven Deadly Sins. 3 completely unrelated demographics. This is harder for a network, because have to try and get not only a general appeal to an audience, but also a general appeal to advertisers.

Unlike any of the other companies presenting here, you can cancel Netflix with one click. Try calling your cable company and getting rid of a channel you’re not watching.”

Hey dumbass.....they are doing that.....it's called cutting the cord. Customers got sick of having a bunch of needless crap for $100 a month and went to an al-a-cart system....for a lot less money and limited/no commercials

The fact that the conventional TV networks are whining that they're not getting hard numbers from Netflix shows you how threatened they actually feel. They claim that Netflix is outspending them to acquire new shows then turn around and say that their global reach and revenue is way higher than Netflix's. So you're under-paying your talent and all the good stuff is going to Netflix where the talent feels they'll get respected then?

It's really not the same. Any numbers they release would be compared as if they were apples to apples when they aren't so I don't blame them. As has already been said, they aren't selling ads, so they don't need to drum up viewership numbers.

Cancelling firefly was a crime against TV.

And what works in Netflix's favor is that they do not have to abide by any demographics or time slots. They can do super raunchy Orange Is The New Black, dumb as shit Bojack Horseman, and then the anime Seven Deadly Sins. 3 completely unrelated demographics. This is harder for a network, because have to try and get not only a general appeal to an audience, but also a general appeal to advertisers.

And don't forget the well done two seasons of Knights of Sidonia.

Honestly. A lot of this is trying to determine Netflix's "success" by the definition of standard broadcasters.

The problem is, that means jack shit.

NCSoft killed City of Heroes because the population growth was flat and it wasn't bringing in new people (kinda hard to do with a zero-dollar advertising budget).

Still a group of people at Paragon Studios looked at the $10 million/quarter they were pulling in and were like "We're good with that!"

Or Catalyst Game Labs. They put out BattleTech and Shadowrun in addition to other games. Sure, BT and SR don't have quite the fanbase they did back in the early 90's (and the fanbase has aged). Also, they're outputting books of MUCH higher production value nowl On top of that, they're competing in a MUCH larger, more cut-throat market for one's individual entertainment dollar.

They pull a few million in a year. And while I'm CERTAIN that they wouldn't say no to an extra zero or two in the revenue column, they're happy with what they're making. People are getting paid. And they're putting out quality stuff that they can be proud of.

Now Netflix. We haven't seen any shareholder/investor revolts. They've got lots of ambitious projects they're literally THROWING money at (they're throwing around $200 million at the Marvel Defenders series of shows). And the people who've worked with Netflix are singing their praises.

So, in the end, it's all about how any given person/group defines "success".

And don't forget the well done two seasons of Knights of Sidonia.

Just to clarify, Orange is the New Black and those shows are actually Netflix original content.

The anime options the have advertised as Netflix original content isn't actually Netflix original. Netflix owns the exclusive rights to show in US, but those series were already done and shown on TV in Japan.

except for that time when they didn't and their stock crashed and no one knew if they'd recover? lol!

Since TWC just raised its rates on their cable subscriptions they probably just boosted Netflix even more to come. :eek:

Back