Netflix Signs David Letterman to New Talk Show

monkeymagick

[H]News
In case anyone missed it, here's an oldie, but goodie news from last week. Netflix signed the late-night-great David Letterman to host a six-episode talk show. The talk show would premiere in 2018 to the glee of older folks as the streaming giant is trying to court the baby boomer demographic.

According to a recent survey, only 19 percent of adults 65 and up, subscribe to the service. The average age of viewers for Letterman was 58 years old during his heyday and what better way to increase profits than to target that same group.

Globally, Netflix's subscriber growth continues to soar. But back home in the US, it's flat-lining. Many of the millennials who may be happy to cut the cord have already subscribed to Netflix. Older TV viewers present the biggest opportunity for continued US growth.

Why won't these people just retire and stay retired. Although maybe his need to assault more women made him want to get a new show.

Was never a fan of Dave. Don't know why. Never liked Jay, either. Probably due to growing up watching Johnny.

Without the confines of network television, I can see this being just a foul, vile flow of hatred towards Sarah Palin. Not that the last couple years on broadcast TV were any different. He really wasn't funny then, and I doubt he'll be any funny now.

I love letterman, not sure why all the hate. Netflix knows what they're doing.

Was never a fan of Dave. Don't know why. Never liked Jay, either. Probably due to growing up watching Johnny.
Both of them are better than the shit we got now. Johnny will always be the king of late night.

During the time that Carson ruled, you could get away with stuff that would get a network tossed in the bit bucket today.

The nice thing about this deal is if you like Letterman, you can watch, otherwise as far as you're concerned, it didn't happen.

Never cared for Letterman. Leno was ok but got old too. Kimmel is ok.

Politics aside, he ALWAYS came off as an a-hole when he did interviews. I never really found him funny.

Politics aside, he ALWAYS came off as an a-hole when he did interviews. I never really found him funny.

This is why he was popular, especially in the '90s when Arsenio Hall was crawling up the ass of every celebrity that came on the show. Everyone seems to forget what a circle-jerk late night TV was before Letterman, excepting those rare-instances when Johnny wasn't thrilled with the guest chosen for him.

The only good thing to come out of Letterman was Penn and Teller.
The last decade of him spooning with Obama was really sickening.

Ugh. Arsenio. Totally forgot about him (probably only saw his show once or twice).

Maybe I just never got into Dave because I thought Paul Shaffer was a weenie and I just liked the big band sound of Doc Severinsen better.

I loved Conan when he was on his original run. Probably the only one I regularly watched aside from Carson.

Ugh. Arsenio. Totally forgot about him (probably only saw his show once or twice).

Maybe I just never got into Dave because I thought Paul Shaffer was a weenie and I just liked the big band sound of Doc Severinsen better.

I loved Conan when he was on his original run. Probably the only one I regularly watched aside from Carson.

His (Letterman's) was a love-it or hate-it kind of show. More of an absurdist comedy than a talk show at times. I stopped watching in the early 2000s but he had definitely lost a lot of his edge by then.

Was funny in the early days when they had sthick like "the guy under the seats" or "Larry's toast on a stick". Then it got lame and I stopped watching. Today I'm not the least bit interested in watching David Letterman.

Letterman was great in the 80's, when he was the weirdo on late night. Alka Seltzer Suit, Velcro Suit....by the 90's he was just the guy trying to get Johnny Carson's seat and his show became mainstream to try and land that gig. Honestly when Fox entered the arena and launched Arsenio Hall's show, Dave's show immediately dated itself.

I absolutely can't stand Conan. I do not find him funny at all.

Letterman was ok, but he really declined towards the end. Johnny Carson was great. I loved him.

Letterman was great when he was hydraulic pressing long before it became a YouTube thing. Now he'll be just another baa-baaing sheep bashing Trump non-stop.

Conan was ever only funny to me during certain skits and most of his bits where he interacts with regular people.

During the time that Carson ruled, you could get away with stuff that would get a network tossed in the bit bucket today.

And in those days Johnny would come home and have a scotch or ten, "turn his rings around" and punch the fuck out of the wife and then the neighbors wife. All on the DL of course. I think the man suffered from a kind of intermittent rage disorder.

And in those days Johnny would come home and have a scotch or ten, "turn his rings around" and punch the fuck out of the wife and then the neighbors wife. All on the DL of course. I think the man suffered from a kind of intermittent rage disorder.

He did have a temper. He stopped talking to Joan Rivers after she went to Fox (it was the '80s ffs, who does that?) He also flipped on Letterman when his crew used his desk and took the cigarette box with it (it was a gift from Par or something). Dave played the tape since Johnny showed up during rehearsal and the cameras were running. Fox's late night was a running disaster, Rivers, Ross Schafer, endless fill-ins. I don't know why they thought going with comedians was a good idea, they're not good hosts. Good hosts play the straight-man and interject occasionally not after each sentence. Johnny was good because his timing was good, right up there with Jack Benny the master of the pregnant pause.

Back