Netflix Says “’Bright” Success Proves Film Critics Are “Disconnected from Mass Appeal”

Or.....maybe enough people are subscribed to Netflix during a TV season 'lull' that this is the only thing on, and it's benefiting from the "what the hell" factor. This sounds a lot like Netflix trying to play the ~FAKE NEWS~ card on critics, when in truth, their viewers are 'jailhouse gay' because they're paying for the content anyway, so why not watch it?

I personally find that the average person is ok with listening to the same songs over and over, superficial movies, the same old food they are used to. In fact, many times I wonder if everyone else is a robot or program code and I'm the only actual human. I know that make me sound bad but I often think people on average do not do a enough to expand their horizons or to get out of their box so to speak. And that's ok, everyone likes to feel comfortable and content in their day to day life.

My point being is that Critics bring a very important element to reviews. I would be very concerned with Netflix or anyone else telling me or the general public that Rotten Tomatoes and others are not as important as they used to be. Trust me when I tell all of you this ... you want the people you may not see eye to eye or agree with ... around you. You want critics in your life. You want them to have access. It's what makes all of us whole and gives us perspective. I know for many of you you may not agree or understand this but I can assure you ... you do.

Lot of these movies are utter shit. Sorry, but they are. You don't want a life of just shoot'em up movies, explosions, sex, cars racing around the streets and all that other shit. While entertaining they are not the movies that are going to allow you to grow mentally, emotionally.

So Netflix releases a movie, they get good audience scores but the critics shoot the movie down because, same old tired story with lipstick on it? Or whatever the case may be.

I enjoyed Bright. Decent action, fairly interesting storyline, and at least it wasn't riddled with SJW speak and obvious leftist agenda.

Or.....maybe enough people are subscribed to Netflix during a TV season 'lull' that this is the only thing on, and it's benefiting from the "what the hell" factor. This sounds a lot like Netflix trying to play the ~FAKE NEWS~ card on critics, when in truth, their viewers are 'jailhouse gay' because they're paying for the content anyway, so why not watch it?
Could be... I know when I had a card reprogrammer (or I should say, when they still worked) I watched Godzilla on PPV (the Matthew Broddrick version) willingly, and I already had seen it... just because

I think The Orville is the best rated new drama series on Fox since Empire. Great show IMHO, total ripoff of classic Star Trek but still pretty great.

I am probably going to piss quite a few people off here but meh w/e. The Orville is WAY better than Discovery. I say this as a lifelong Star Trek fan. Also yes I am still watching the crap that is Discovery whenever I can catch an episode at some poor sods place that was dumb enough to shell out for CBS all access.

So many shows or movies that I personally have enjoyed have been critically panned or didn't do well via the Nielson whatchamacallit system. But the great thing about the internet / netflix / direct to customer / video on demand has been to democratize things a bit more. Bright is one of them.

I don't need someone who was idiotic enough to major in film studies or ... to tell me if I should like something or not. Or how it relates to some ancient movie from way back when or some obscure director (Fellini) ... since like most viewers, I simply don't give AF.

Like they say - those who can do, those who can't teach (or in this case these wannabe film-makers become critics & reviewers).

I wouldn't call it a rip off, it's more of an homage/mockery of Star Trek. They tackle the things that Star Trek was too afraid to, like what happens when you have a green jello alien wanting to "lay the pipe" to a human, but they still tackle the hard hitting things and show that not everything has a "happy" ending, like the whole "my baby is female, and needs to be changed to be accepted by society" bit.

I don't mean what I said derogatorily. Seth McFarland is a well known Star Trek and Star Wars fan and I think gets the material well. But The Orville is clearly Star Trek with Seth McFarland's spin on it which I totally fine with.

Thoroughly enjoyed this flick. Much like with everything else these days, you can't trust the mainstream media for shit.

I am probably going to piss quite a few people off here but meh w/e. The Orville is WAY better than Discovery. I say this as a lifelong Star Trek fan. Also yes I am still watching the crap that is Discovery whenever I can catch an episode at some poor sods place that was dumb enough to shell out for CBS all access.

The paywall is probably the main reason behind the problems most people have with Discovery. For a half-century old series, I think Discovery is doing what it has to do and I love it at this point. But it is FAR darker then classic Star Trek and after seeing last weeks episode, being behind a paywall might not have been such a bad idea. But I love The Orville also, it's much more in the spirit of classic Star Trek.

Bright's main problem was that it didn't tow the current leftist party line. It had issues with the script, but really, they weren't that bad. But they were used to justify the critics dislike of the film - after all they can't just come out and say "we don't agree with this films politics."

The major problem with critics is if they completely trash a movie there is a chance it may fail due to the public following said critics opinion, studios and movie companies would make a move against such a group if it cuts into their profits, hence way to many politics.

Games on a side note are the same way, IGN acts like Blizzard can do absolutely no wrong, even though something may blatantly suck majorly like vanilla D3.

Computer hardware is no different many YouTubers that do reviews have been passed over as reviewers by certain companies due to poor reviews they had given previous products.

Ideally in a perfect world reviews would hint at detailed segments of any overall product as simply 1 number or a thumbs up or down can't properly convey how good or bad a project is.

I've never been much for critics to begin with and even when I would halfass pay attention to one I simply found they didn't seem to care one bit about the same aspects of movies that I enjoyed. Their reviews never seemed to have anything to do with how the movie was or was not enjoyable overall. There was a specific formula they tried to apply to "reviewing" the movie which had nothing to do with whether the movie was fun or enjoyable to watch. The reviews always seemed to be about technical issues or a specific actor or actress. I don't give a damn about that and practically none of the viewing audience outside of film majors give a shit either.

In a way it reminds me of motherboard reviews I've read over the years, here and elsewhere. A part of the review would focus on component placement of the motherboard. Sometimes motherboards would be reviewed which had some less than perfect component placement which had the possibility of causing someone using that board in a build a little trouble when connecting things. The problem wasn't huge and it didn't stop you from doing everything or even make you go well out of your way when doing something but could be an annoyance. Other than that the board was effectively perfect. No issues with reliability. Performance would be at the top or near the top of other motherboards. Price would be damn good. In other words, the motherboard would be great. 99% of the people using the motherboard would never even know there was a very minor issue with component placement. What happened with regards to these reviews? The vast majority would simply give the motherboard glowing reviews but might make mention of the that single little and almost insignificant minor issue but should not be taken into account. Movie reviewers tend to be the exact opposite. They will sit there and harp on that single, small, minor imperfection for the whole of the review and completely ignore everything else.

Therefore, I have no interest in professional reviewers or anything they have to say. They obviously don't watch movies the way I do, nor do they enjoy movies the same way I do which means their opinions mean nothing to me.

Opinions are like assholes right? Everyone's got one? Movie critics these days are too far up their own ass for their own good. Everyone who doesn't think (insert movie name here) is garbage is low brow and doesn't know what quality is and thus is lowering the bar for everyone else. If you disagree with me you are wrong because this is the internet and I am always right. /sarcasm

I enjoyed Bright, even though it had some obvious problems, and would love a sequel. Don't really care what anyone else thinks. If that ruins your day, I'm ok with that. You don't have to watch it and critics aren't gatekeepers.

Critics are disconnected from most movie goers because they're looking for different things.

I would say if a movie looks interesting to you (that's the most important factor), it's worth watching if the typical reviewers have at 50% or higher.

I think there's a few parts to this.

I partially agree with you and that most critics are looking for art in addition to entertainment, while (as you said) the audience is likely fine with something being entertaining.

However, I think they are mostly shitty at determining entertainment for moviegoers. IMO this is probably due to the fact that they are sitting through more and mroe movies every year, more and more of which are bland, middle of the road, popcorn flicks. Which has got to wear a bit. THe audience, as demonstrated in box office numbers, isn't watching too many of them in a given year.

I think the third part to it is that reviewers are aprofessional clique. There's fashion, trends, etc. involved there, and for the most part this is something they speak on and place value on, and anyone outside that arena could give a shit unless there's the random coincidence of coinciding with their interests at the time.

I miss Gene Shalit. If he liked a movie, I'd hate it, and if he hated it I'd like it. He has a nearly 100% track record with me.

Opinions vary, people like different things from other people, and lots of people like shitty things...and in the case of a movie, especially if it features an actor they like. Ted Sarandos isn't exactly breaking new ground here.

And let's face something else: Bright on Netflix had a lower bar to clear than a movie in the theaters. Even if someone came to Netflix only to watch Bright, they paid less than if it was doing its first run in theaters.

I enjoyed it... I'm thinking everybody wants to be the asshole now, and trash pretty much everything that doesn't grant an opportunity for false nostalgia or brainless, unsupported fanboyism....

I went into it thinking it would be horrid, and was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it. Might not be a classic, but I really enjoyed it!

That's Liberal Arts for you. As I pointed out before, reviewers are there own breed of movie watchers that care mostly about the technical aspects of films (story, script, acting, etc. not necessarily emotional response).

the technical aspects of a film was once avidly discussed and dissected by customers in the IMDB forums. I can only imagine the depth and excitement in participating a technical discussion on Blade Runner 2049

now days, there is no where to go. Damn corporates.

endured this pile of horse manure. it was pretty awful with no redeeming qualities in plot, acting or script

The movie had issues... but it was hardly the worst movie ever made. A lot of critics pre judged it, and even more would have said it stunk even if it was a modern Citizen Kane.

They didn't get a screener, they where not acknowledged as special, they where not patted on the back and sent swag. I mean Netflix forced them to watch at the same time as regular people... Netflix doesn't know how to show the proper amount of Re$pect. :rolleyes:

Movie critics: just as outdated as the rest of the traditional media.

I am actually looking forward to the day where we will say the same thing about Youtubers/vloggers. I hope the pace of change will make all that we take for granted into relics very, very soon.

I don't mean what I said derogatorily. Seth McFarland is a well known Star Trek and Star Wars fan and I think gets the material well. But The Orville is clearly Star Trek with Seth McFarland's spin on it which I totally fine with.

Well, then mission accomplished. McFarland wanted to do a Star Trek series but couldn't get the rights so did the next best thing. And he specifically wanted to do a TOS/TNG style show which is why it is "story of the week" and not multi-episode story show (which is what many critics dinged him on, btw).

the technical aspects of a film was once avidly discussed and dissected by customers in the IMDB forums. I can only imagine the depth and excitement in participating a technical discussion on Blade Runner 2049

now days, there is no where to go. Damn corporates.

Too many damn trolls is what killed it. Amazon didn't want to dedicate millions of dollars for post deleters.

Didn’t know anyone liked this movie. Thought it was targeted to middle school boys but maybe I’m just getting too old. Saw LOTR again the other day and wow is it really outdated now.
How is LOTR outdated? Watched both LOTR and the Hobbit trilogy a few weeks ago and I still see LOTR as a masterpiece.
Bright felt like a teenage movie and you already knew the whole plot 5 min into the movie.. Just no.

I don't bother with the critics score on Rotten Tomatoes, and only the audience score/reviews if it's a movie I'm not sure on.

I liked the world setting though it's supposed to be set in Los Angeles but it really didn't feel like it. The rest of the movie was decently entertaining. Would like to see more or a spin off sequel showing more of the world.

The paywall is probably the main reason behind the problems most people have with Discovery. For a half-century old series, I think Discovery is doing what it has to do and I love it at this point. But it is FAR darker then classic Star Trek and after seeing last weeks episode, being behind a paywall might not have been such a bad idea. But I love The Orville also, it's much more in the spirit of classic Star Trek.

The paywall is annoying but its far from my biggest problem with Discovery. The acting is just...bad. Its almost like they know they wont get more than one season. I like the fact that its darker and the stories are good (albeit not as well written as they could be). Its a Star Trek show so I "like" it but its not my favorite. Hell I even like Enterprise because it was Star Trek and I enjoy watching that series. I am even willing to let the blatant SJW crap slide that they keep pushing. Star Trek was always a place where that was "fine" but it never had to be pushed and made to stand out. It just was there.

But yes I agree The Orville is much more in the spirit of the classic show. Maybe thats why I feel that The Orville is more Star Trek like than Discovery.

Well, then mission accomplished. McFarland wanted to do a Star Trek series but couldn't get the rights so did the next best thing. And he specifically wanted to do a TOS/TNG style show which is why it is "story of the week" and not multi-episode story show (which is what many critics dinged him on, btw).

The critics are idiots. He got what he wanted and its better off for it.

Do you know, how I know, that you have never watched Bright? ... it’s not a series. This is the other problem with reviews on the internet ... people don’t even actually watch the movies they review.

Bears repeating.. some folks just want to be heard, while being an asshole, and badmouthing anything they can't use as a fanboy jumping board to be part of the 'kewl kids'

This movie was garbage. In what world is this considered either a good premise or successful movie? I saw it, and barely made it through. Disjointed storyline, shitty plot and the hollywood "heavy hitter" Will Smith fighting against corruption and racism while acting like E.T? Yea, i'm not gettin jiggy with it.

I agree with you, but you and I seem to be in the minority. I wanted to like it and I usually like anything Will Smith is in, but I just couldn't get into it...

This guy pretty much nails it. Totally cool premise and had lots of potential but was just a big mess. I'm hoping that they do make a sequel and learn from their mistakes on the first

Places like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic are not the kinda places you'd want to pay attention to professional critics. Also, there is a legion of paid non-professional reviewers who also rate the movies, usually positively. So you generally always have a divide between the people and the critics. Also most of those oscar winning movies made jack shit for profits, yet they just keep producing these movies. Seriously look up each movie and how much they made, it's kinda pathetic. The Shape of water made $40 million as well as Lady Bird. Call Me by Your Name made 10 million.

Bright wasn't the first to be effected by this disconnecting between the audience. Look at Warcraft the movie, where it too got like a 28% from the critics but the people gave it a 77%. And yet we've condemned the movie because the critics said so. Even before the movie was released it was told to everyone it was a bad movie, and it looks like a lot of people believed them.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bright/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/warcraft/

Back