Netflix Reportedly Adding Offline Mode Before The End Of The Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I suppose this is good news for those of you with limited data who watch Netflix on the go—you’ll be able to move your favorite shows and watch them on mobile without anxiety.

…Taitz thinks there will be a landscape shift when the new Netflix feature arrives. "We know from our sources within the industry that Netflix is going to launch this product," says Taitz. "My expectation is that by the end of the year Netflix will be launching download-to-go as an option for their customers." Industry gossip from a technology vendor is one thing, but Frost & Sullivan Principal Analyst Dan Rayburn confirms that Netflix Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX) is developing a downloading solution and says that it's something of an open secret in the streaming video community.

This will be awesome for the little ones in the van - wonder if there will be a limit on pre-loading content (assuming it will be time-locked DRM - ok with that). Gives me a reason to resurrect my piece of crap Galaxy Tab 3.

I'd like to know if offline mode will make subtitles work better. As it is, for me, subtitles often seem to suffer lag or dropouts while the video stream is fine, as if the subtitle stream had low priority.

I'd like to know if offline mode will make subtitles work better. As it is, for me, subtitles often seem to suffer lag or dropouts while the video stream is fine, as if the subtitle stream had low priority.

I would guess so since there'll be no lag from d/l'ing it to the device.

Why use subtitles?

Do you watch a lot of foreign films?

I support this if it means we can get higher bitrates.

I'd love to be able to tell Netflix to pre-load a number of titles at high bitrate to my HTPC, so that it looks and sounds almost like Blu-ray.

It would be awesome if they also did this with A torrent-style P2P mode so downloads are quick, and can't be strangled as easily btly the ISP's.

This sounds great to me. I never use Netflix on my phone because it gobbles mobile data too fast. Being able to pre-load a couple shows to watch if I need to kill some time would be great.

It's about time. Strong encryption should have allowed for this a while ago.

Back