Netflix Raises U.S. Prices

I think Cobra Kai was my favorite show of 2018. It's too bad most people don't even know it exists.

It was a great show. I loved how it took the 80s style "good vs. bad" theme of Karate Kid and turned it on its head by adding nuance.

It made it a much deeper and more interesting show.

Wouldn't more funding allow you to hire better acting talent and good directors?

I don't have a lot of faith that the witcher will actually be good either, but I am all but certain with a big enough budget to get the right directors, writers, special effects teams, actors, etc. etc. it could be the successor to GoT.

Well, funding doesn't necessarily make a good movie. It sure depends who you ask but personally, I'm not into these big superhero movies and think they are shallow movies but that's apparently what people want so they bring a lot of cash. I mean this is all business so as much as it sucks, I guess I really cannot blame the movie companies. Sadly movies that are truly good, often barely even break even on investment. As of late a box office failed movies with few reviews has actually proved to be the ones worth watching. I really like some of the foreign or independent movies as it's more movie than just CGI/Hollywood action.

#GetWokeGoBroke

They're generating a ridiculous number of new offerings that fall flat.

Duh. You're suggesting Hulu adopt the same model as YouTube, the world's largest video sharing site, which has been unsuccessful with that model. That's why I brought it up.

I watched that and found it pretty enjoyable. I thought it was interesting how they showed what came after the Karate Kid. The music selection was a great and really captured the spirit of the original movie. However, I wouldn't subscribe to a service for '1' tv show that's available on ahem other sources that frequently use h265.

No, someone said that you can pay more for Hulu to have no ads and my question was, where is the additional content for that money? That and Hulu has some of their content behind paywalls, like Amazon Prime does.

If only I could point to a pattern of big budget movies that have sucked.

Of course you can't just throw money at it and guarantee a good movie/TV series. That said, the odds of having a good final product with Daniel Day-Lewis as your male lead are a hell of a lot better than if you have Gary Busey as the male lead.

No, someone said that you can pay more for Hulu to have no ads and my question was, where is the additional content for that money? That and Hulu has some of their content behind paywalls, like Amazon Prime does.
yes you can pay a extra couple bucks to get rid of the ads on hulu, you don't get additional content for the extra money but worth saving yourself 15 minutes when watching an hour show

Streaming is such a deal :rolleyes:

Still love my Tivo. Half the shows I record now have one button commercial skip. Try hopping back 5 seconds in a show if you missed some dialog while streaming - good grief.

I would have expected the stock to go up. Anyone who actually wants Netflix will pay the extra $24/year. Multiply that by the number of subscribers and factor in the lack of a decent competitor and you should expect most customers to just pay the extra price and move on with their lives.

That seems like a pretty drastic path to take. I didn't know Netflix was hurting for money.

I think i'm paying $17 Canada a month, when I originally got it I was paying $7
I now have a much much smaller selection of shows to watch, and 95% of the Netflix originals are down right terrible.

prime video is terrible too but at least it comes along with my prime account for "free"

I may cancel it soon and switch to alternative methods.

yes you can pay a extra couple bucks to get rid of the ads on hulu, you don't get additional content for the extra money but worth saving yourself 15 minutes when watching an hour show

Tivo is not free, it costs money as well. :rolleyes:

It went to $17 a month here in canada, im splitting the cost with my parents and brother so its not too bad.

If it wasnt for the large amount of kids shows we would have dropped it a long time ago, 90% of my media comes from other sources.

Can't really complain about Amazon Prime and all the benefits as compared to Netflix (which I have both). But generally speaking if Netflix can continue to create good content people will continue to have it. I think it's starting to near the point where people may just sign up for Netflix and binge a few shows over a couple months and then discontinue if it continues to rise as fast as it has.
Netflix:
$8.99 Non HD streams
$12.99 for two HD streams
$15.99 for four streams and 4K

Amazon Prime:
Student: $59 year or $6.49 month
Regular: $119 year or $12.99 month
And you get:
Free two day shipping and other regular shopping benefits (pantry etc. - or two hour delivery if you live in one of those select areas)
SD/HD/UHD video streaming (no additional cost for 4K)
Ability to rent videos (additional cost of course)
Free photo storage
Free music streaming
Free Discord account (subscription thing)
Discounted game purchases
Free Kindle books

Hulu: don't have :p stopped using it after they discontinued the Hulu app and force you to pay for Hulu to watch even the free stuff on something other than your computer :/ So...don't really care about Hulu...

Tivo is not free, it costs money as well. :rolleyes:

Yup, but it's fixed. Especially if you get lifetime or whatever they call it. Pays for itself within four years, easily. The only failure part I have had in almost 18 years of owning Tivo's are the hard drives and in the new Tivo's if you are under 4TB in size you just slap a new on in and it formats it automatically.

As soon as there's a streaming service that can match the functionality of my Tivo - mainly quick navigation forwards/back and with the vast majority of content I want in one place I may consider it. But if I subscribed to all the different services before the latest round of fragmentation it was barely a difference between the "cable" portion of my bill and as more companies stupidly fragment and create yet more streaming services the value proposition is tanking and tanking hard.

On top of a compromised experience vs. locally recorded content.

A pox on all their houses. If anything all these discussions do is remind how little of the crap that's out there I really watch. I may just throw up an HD antenna outside and see how well I get by with that. Double bonus - the quality will be way better than cable or streaming!

They cancel Luke Cage by being cheap with actor salaries. But keep making expensive aimless movies.
That's a special case, imho. They decided to kill the Marvel shows and let them lose traction with viewers prior to Disney taking them over so they don't lose those customers.

Can't wait to watch Punisher season 2 tomorrow!

I expect to hear season 3 is canceled very soon.

How is that a measure to go against competitors?, in any case you're making your subscribers go to another streaning service..

Back