Netflix Profit Up, Adds Subscribers, Shares Jump

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Netflix had a kick ass quarter. Once again, it seems like everyone but the analyst saw this one coming.

Netflix reported better-than-expected first-quarter profit, fueled by rapid-fire subscriber growth that shows no sign of letting up this year. Shares of Netflix rose 7 percent after its quarterly results, marking yet another big jump for a company whose stock has nearly quadrupled in the past year as it shakes up Hollywood's traditional business models.

Now if they'd take some of those massive profits and start providing more content on the streaming side of things, and add the damned captions/subtitles (which is easy as pie to do) to all the content so my Wife who's deaf could make use of it, I'd consider becoming a member once again.

But alas, they won't, and so I won't.

Good for them, I've been off cable for almost 2 years now thanks to them. Like some other posters have mentioned, lets hope they use that profit to get more content.

And /agree on the subtitles, not deaf myself but I dunno...I like watching movies with subtitles you tend to pick up on stuff you may have missed.

Eitherway, GO NETFLIX

Well Netflix just became available in Canada last quarter, so that's a new market of a few million right there.

Now if they'd take some of those massive profits and start providing more content on the streaming side of things

I am pretty sure I have read they try to get as much as they can, and throw a ton of money around in offers, the thing about that is they can't buy stuff people won't sell them.

With comcast buying NBC, you can bet netflix won't get NBC stuff, why would comcast support a competitor?

I don't mean adding more content overall, I mean adding more content to the streaming side of the operation - if you compare the number of actual titles they have overall that you can get in the mail as a DVD or Blu-ray to the number of the those titles you can get as a stream there's a huge mismatch. Not every title is available as a stream, which is silly to me considering all that's basically required is to "rip" one copy from DVD and one from Blu-ray to the specs required and wham, pretty much done.

They're making more content available as streams, yes, but they have a very long way to go before everything in their availability is either watchable by DVD, Blu-ray, or a stream equally.

what qualifies someone to be called an "analyst" ??
education? having an anal sphincter?

seems lately, analysts have just been full of shit. What a bullshit title.

Too bad this all came from cutting service on the dvd/blu-ray side of netlfix. They change more for blu-ray but have stopped buying blu-ray movies and of course the 30 day windows add to it.

I really hope amazon opens their LoveFilm to the US market. This is getting horrible for people who care about QUALITY and not just convenence.

(Where is my proper BBC version of Life on blu-ray with David Attenborough? They had both versions for Planet Earth. Where is the Back To The Future Trilogy on blu-ray? Where is the full BSG series on blu-ray? There is the proper Grindhouse on blu-ray? etc..) Oh and blockbuster isn't any better on blu-ray selection.

Their profits are up ... and they raised prices. Sounds ... about .... right .... :confused:

Netflix must be lying about growth. All Linux users said they would cancel service if Netflix doesn't drop DRM from streaming. I figured that within days Netflix would be brought to its knees. :p

Im canceling my account soon for ONE BIG reason, They have stopped getting The new releases of Older Movies on Blu-Ray. They dont have Goonies on Blu-Ray WTF is that about. There are tons of titles they arent getting anymore yet the raised my prices. Oh well back to the Newsgroups i Go.

Just FYI, i have run across a lot of titles on streaming that now offer subtitles, atleast on my PS3

But yeah, i expected their profit to go up, they just raised rates $1 for millions of people per month

Marcdaddy is correct.

Netflix is not carrying all bluray releases. Why pay for bluray if you cant get all bluray releases? Netflix is caving in to studios at every turn, so I fully expect this to also be an inside deal between netflix and the studios.

I don't mean adding more content overall, I mean adding more content to the streaming side of the operation - if you compare the number of actual titles they have overall that you can get in the mail as a DVD or Blu-ray to the number of the those titles you can get as a stream there's a huge mismatch. Not every title is available as a stream, which is silly to me considering all that's basically required is to "rip" one copy from DVD and one from Blu-ray to the specs required and wham, pretty much done.

They're making more content available as streams, yes, but they have a very long way to go before everything in their availability is either watchable by DVD, Blu-ray, or a stream equally.

That is what the other person was refering too. they CAN'T get content, they have been trying they have been begging, they have been putting large piles of money onto tables and being told go to fuck themselves. They CAN'T just take a DVD rip it into a streamable format and put it up. They have to get a special license from the content owner to put it up for streaming. The content owners don't want them doing that as you can only let 1 person rent 1 dvd at a time so they know that popular movies will have to be purchased in bulk, but for streaming they can't get that as 1 copy can be viewed by every customer. and they aren't ever happy with the price that they might recieve by going with streaming as opposed to what they know they get when you purchase 1000 copies of some dvd.

Every since they started streaming they have wanted their entire dvd list to be streamable, but they have not been able to get there. that is why we have the 28 day wait now. WB started that by saying that they would give them more overall and newer releases for streaming if they waited 28 days to get movies. They took the deal to get more streamable content, but that still didn't get them everything. But they are still working on trying to get the content, the owners just don't want to give it up. HBO is a perfect example there,

Put my account on hold for a few months and will re-evaluate then.
To slow at bringing out new releases, to many problems with streaming on friday/saturday night, and didn't like the extra $ a month.
The streaming problems are paused and disconnects that usually only happen in the evening, especially on Friday/Saturday nights. Yet, I can copy files from my office at a full 10mb (the limit of the office connection) during the same time periods, so I know it's not my local connection.

Exavior hit the nail on the head...

I am baffled that netflix made the 28 day agreement without some sort of streaming list attached.

I haven't seen any improvement in streaming content since the deal. There have been a TON of old movies added but they are really old. I am guessing these titles are virtually worthless in the retail market.

For the $8 a mo though I am still finding more content to watch then freaking cable and I pay $50 for that. So I am not so mad...

I am pretty surprised that netflix hasn't come up with some per stream, or tiered pricing for content providers. Though I suspect that EVERYONE wants to do their own streaming for $$$ and dont want to give up the content and make netflix too big to live without (though they pretty much are).

Lets face facts though even if you paid $60 per month... netflix still couldn't get everything. Heck people pay that now and still have to watch commercials. I am betting that subscription only revenue is maybe not enough (well it probably is, just not enough for content owners).

It is easy to see why they make so much money. Anyone with a Net enabeled TV set can tell you that it is an inexpensive convienant way to watch just about anything. Plus if you have children there are so many movies and shows that they can watch over, and over, until you want to destroy your eyes and ears.

If you use Vudu and/or iTunes as well you can pretty much cover all your movie rental bases.

It is easy to see why they make so much money. Anyone with a Net enabeled TV set can tell you that it is an inexpensive convienant way to watch just about nothing. Plus if you have children there are so many movies and shows that they can watch over, and over, until you want to destroy your eyes and ears.

If you use Vudu and/or iTunes as well you can pretty much cover all your movie rental bases.

More like..

Netflix went up of course,spot on comment OP... analyst didn't see it comin! :D

I'm surprised Coinstar (owner of Redbox) didn't see a huge spike though.

I'm surprised Coinstar (owner of Redbox) didn't see a huge spike though.
Redbox has different problems with growth, and its stock is of course tied to Coinstar. http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/14/technology/thebuzz/index.htm

The 28 day delay finally hit Redbox in the 4th quarter (when Redbox agreed to it, without the benefits that Netflix gets for increasing streaming movie selection), and same store growth was very disappointing.

I don't understand why Redbox agreed to the 28 day delay.

Do you understand why they tanked so hard like that? I was trying to read up on it but all I found is something about insider trading with someone at Coinstar?

Redbox/coinstar should be going up Q1 though I bet, they started doing their free coupons again and also in some places started renting games. And I actually saw another one a couple days ago that was even closer than the grocery store one near me. (Outside of Walgreens actually)

Redbox has different problems with growth, and its stock is of course tied to Coinstar. http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/14/technology/thebuzz/index.htm

The 28 day delay finally hit Redbox in the 4th quarter (when Redbox agreed to it, without the benefits that Netflix gets for increasing streaming movie selection), and same store growth was very disappointing.

I don't understand why Redbox agreed to the 28 day delay.

It was my understanding they had to agree. The studios want a chance for the consumer to purchase a new release before its offered up for cheap rentals.

I haven't seen any improvement in streaming content since the deal. There have been a TON of old movies added but they are really old. I am guessing these titles are virtually worthless in the retail market.

For the $8 a mo though I am still finding more content to watch then freaking cable and I pay $50 for that. So I am not so mad...

I saw that the new Spartacus show is being offered as it hits TV from Starz steaming.

Pretty much all the TV shows we want to watch are being offered on Netflix.

Netflix should just start buying up shares of major studios and at some point they will be able to excert enough influence to force the issue.

They did, every single time. :p The selection of streaming movies has increased tremendously, but is still dictated by the studios. http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Netflix-Signs-Another-28-Day-Delay-Pact-With-Sony-110768

The original streaming list was pathetic. Now it's OK, although not great.

Maybe its just what I observe rather then fact... but imho the list is bigger but 90% of the new stuff is b movies, and reality shows.

I would have expected to see more older A list movies (90s early 2000)...

I think that after internet prices adjust to absorb all the streaming, and netflix prices rise even more with no competition from blockbuster, and also now that they're not getting older blu rays.... we will all eventually miss Blockbuster.

I'm loving blu ray too much... I don't want streaming only.

It was my understanding they had to agree. The studios want a chance for the consumer to purchase a new release before its offered up for cheap rentals.
They didn't have to. Challenges to the right to rent videos were over long ago. Redbox did it to get better pricing on DVDs from the studios, and it seems to have majorly backfired.

I think that after internet prices adjust to absorb all the streaming, and netflix prices rise even more with no competition from blockbuster, and also now that they're not getting older blu rays.... we will all eventually miss Blockbuster.

I'm loving blu ray too much... I don't want streaming only.

What proof is their that they are not expanding the blu-ray selection.

What proof is their that they are not expanding the blu-ray selection.
Because Netflix didn't get Growing Pains season 4 BD when it showed it was released on joblo.com. :p

Besides some niche interests (which on the intarweb become "everybody wants"), Netflix has an incredibly large selection of titles. I think it goes without saying that it has the most titles of any service in the US. But there are gaps in the selection.

At this point, some people expect Netflix to have everything. It never will. I realize that and I still find Netflix incredibly useful. Others won't and that's fine. Still others will make any justification necessary to pirate everything. Whatever.

I canceled my account. Their content just isn't worth it.

The streaming content is somewhat limited, however the ability to stream to your tv via bluray player/ game console is really cool. Plus you are allowed up to 5 devices, so if you split the cost of an account between a few users, its a steal.

I am pretty sure I have read they try to get as much as they can, and throw a ton of money around in offers, the thing about that is they can't buy stuff people won't sell them.

With comcast buying NBC, you can bet netflix won't get NBC stuff, why would comcast support a competitor?

Why would anybody, never mind Netflix, buy anything from NBC? Does NBC have anything worth selling?

I still believe Conan getting thrown out of NBC a year ago was the best thing to ever happen to him. Let's see if Leno lasts another year with Comcast running the show. Once that happens, they won't have a daily line-up, an evening line-up or even a late night line-up worth watching.

You know things are really bad for NBC when the rumor is once Leno's gone, they'll try to get Conan back...

I'll stick with Blockbuster. No 30 day wait on new movies and it's nice to be able to return them at the local store for quicker turnaround time.

Back