Netflix Price Jumps Are Here to Crush Your Thanksgiving and Christmas Cheer

T-Mo probably inked a deal for a year of NetFlix. You'll probably see an increase on the anniversary of your contract but expect to go up at any time.

Its not a year, its free or that is credited forever as long as I'm on the one plan. Iirc it covers 100 bucks or something like that a year.

It's only a dollar or two. Don't like it, let your wallet do the talking. It's not a life necessity.

LOL. I see many don't get how the streaming business works.

But don't feel bad, when Netflix got started the content owners didn't get the business either. Old suits in Hollywood didn't grok it at all. So Netflix got super great licensing deals.

Then the suits caught on. Which is why Netflix carries old content and their own content. Soon, they'll have no Disney content. The content they do have will continue to rise in cost as licensors demand per-view royalties while standing up their own services. This is why Netflix and Amazon are working to become their own content producers.

For a vanilla VOD service (like Vudu, Sony and MSFT) almost every penny of the rental or purchase price for a movie from a major studio goes to the studio.

Pro tip: NEVER buy from a streaming service. Rent. If you want to own, buy physical media.

No emails or warnings for me about a price hike. I have my payment drafted automatically through Paypal. I last paid $9.99 on 11/17...we shall see what it says next month.

CBS charges $10 a month commercial-free for 2 or 3 original programs that are not broadcast. MGM is eyeing $20 a month for theirs and HBO is pulling their stuff from NetFlix to put on THEIR $15 a month OTT service. Even with the loss of HBO programming, NetFlix will still be a good deal at up to $20 a month. As more subs drop traditional cable expect to see more single network streaming services. The networks want their $90 a month from us and they will do anything to get it.

Don't forget that NetFlix was $20 a month for three-discs-at-a-time service when they started up in the late 1990's. That was what I was paying in 1998.

Yeah it's getting ridiculous but I'll pay my 20 bucks to Netflix. I have no problem not watching nbc/fox/HBO if it comes down to that. I'm in the same boat as you, my parents started using Netflix in '98 paying 20 dollars a month. I took their account over in 2010 and still pay 20 a month. Sure I can't rent 3 blurays or DVDs anymore but I haven't rented those since 2012 even though I could still get 2 Blu-rays at a time til 2015. Now it's 1 and I still don't use that option.

Doesn't bother me. Yeah, it always sucks to have to pay more, but I don't think it's a big deal and I still think it's a worthwhile service for my household at the new price.

I think it's more than justifiable for the content they are producing right now. It's still cheaper than, say, HBO by itself, and certainly cheaper than almost every other provider (apart from OTA), including Amazon Prime if you just look at base service. Hell, the price is more than justified for the lack of commercials if nothing else - something that Hulu and network-run streaming services either don't provide or charge extra for.

It's not like they have you locked up in a term contract with exit fees or anything and your stuck with a rate hike you didn't sign up for. That's my beef with cable/cellular/etc.

For Netflix, if you don't like it, just unsub, no big deal. It's not like they are trying to sneak it in there or have you locked in.

That's an overly dramatic (or clickbaity) title. $1 or $2 more per month will not crush my holiday spirit whatsoever, especially when it means I still don't have to pay a ton for cable.

That's how cable got to be the way it is now. $1-$2 every year. Here and there. That way people don't bitch and complain as much

I'm willing to go up to $20 over time with the current content. If Netflix continues to keep me entertained, like with the coming BRIGHT level of movies, I could go higher.

Present the value and I'll present the money. But things can quickly go down hill if they start to get greedy.

That's how cable got to be the way it is now. $1-$2 every year. Here and there. That way people don't bitch and complain as much

Good point. I just hope it doesn't get to that level... otherwise I'll be looking elsewhere for quality streamed multimedia.

I'm willing to go up to $20 over time with the current content. If Netflix continues to keep me entertained, like with the coming BRIGHT level of movies, I could go higher.

Present the value and I'll present the money. But things can quickly go down hill if they start to get greedy.

That's the point my frriend, they're starting to get greedy. I'm not gonna pay $14 for the same thing I was paying $10 for a month. So I scaled back to standard. I already ditched Hulu/Plus because of the same thing. It's just wrong what they do to us. Imma have to stock up a Vaseline/Astroglide.

That's the point my frriend, they're starting to get greedy. I'm not gonna pay $14 for the same thing I was paying $10 for a month. So I scaled back to standard. I already ditched Hulu/Plus because of the same thing. It's just wrong what they do to us. Imma have to stock up a Vaseline/Astroglide.

I have kids so I need multiple screens. Netflix is indispensable when you have wife and kids. Keeps them occupied as surf the PC and camera forums.

I have kids so I need multiple screens. Netflix is indispensable when you have wife and kids. Keeps them occupied as surf the PC and camera forums.

Ahhh, gotcha. I've got Fire Stick in the bedroom along with Plex. Trying to keep costs down even tho I'm single with a cat and she doesn't care what I watch, lol.

anyone who bases their 'cheer' or lack thereof on Netflix is a fool ...

that's like half a Big Mac, or half gallon of gas.

Are people going to cry about it ?

10-20% price hikes. Totally justifiable at any given random time amirite? People that base things on dollars (Oh it's just a dollar) are obviously business retarded.

To be fair. Netflix has some pretty sick original content that wasn't around 4-5 years ago. Would an increasing number of original content in the vein of Stranger Things, Punisher, Mindhunters, etc be possible without raising prices?

that's like half a Big Mac, or half gallon of gas.

Are people going to cry about it ?

Again that's how they get you psychological.

Next thing you know there's ads inbetween episodes and the price is $30/month

Because of people binging watching and "needing" and getting them addicted.

Again that's how they get you psychological.

Next thing you know there's ads inbetween episodes and the price is $30/month

Because of people binging watching and "needing" and getting them addicted.

Peace and quite is relatively cheap.

I remember working with Comcast and as door-to-door salesmen we used to target homes with children.
Mom is going crazy and they'll do anything to get the kids to calm down. Get Spongebob going and they sign on the line that is dotted.

i don't think they've reached the greedy part yet and to be honest their original pricing in my opinion was ungodly low to start off with compared to their competition.. given the fact that i quit paying 100 dollars a month for cable tv and just primarily watch netflix now they have a long ways to go before i'd ever consider them greedy because quite frankly what other options are there available for the amount of content they provide? amazon isn't even remotely close yet and the average sat/cable tv subscription around 80-90 dollars a month and you still have to watch ad's, lol.

i don't think they've reached the greedy part yet and to be honest their original pricing in my opinion was ungodly low to start off with compared to their competition.. given the fact that i quit paying 100 dollars a month for cable tv and just primarily watch netflix now they have a long ways to go before i'd ever consider them greedy because quite frankly what other options are there available for the amount of content they provide? amazon isn't even remotely close yet and the average sat/cable tv subscription around 80-90 dollars a month and you still have to watch ad's, lol.

I still have a monthly Dish Network subscription and that is $90 a month for Flex Pack, Hopper 3, and HBO/Starz. I also have NetFlix and Amazon Prime on top of that. Main reason I'm keeping the satellite package is for the DVR, which allows me to seamlessly record the OTA channels not in my TV package and to skip all the BS advertisements in network programming. The Hopper 3 is $25 a month, which actually isn't that bad considering a TiVo is $14 a month for nothing but an EPG and recording 4 programs at a time for the OTA version. I think the only source of greed is coming from the studios that produce the content. The satellite/cable companies are just passing on the programming costs onto us.

I still have a monthly Dish Network subscription and that is $90 a month for Flex Pack, Hopper 3, and HBO/Starz. I also have NetFlix and Amazon Prime on top of that. Main reason I'm keeping the satellite package is for the DVR, which allows me to seamlessly record the OTA channels not in my TV package and to skip all the BS advertisements in network programming. The Hopper 3 is $25 a month, which actually isn't that bad considering a TiVo is $14 a month for nothing but an EPG and recording 4 programs at a time for the OTA version. I think the only source of greed is coming from the studios that produce the content. The satellite/cable companies are just passing on the programming costs onto us.

100% agree, with comcast pretty much everything is ondemand so i had no need for the dvr until statistics were showing people were fast forwarding the ad's so they bumped it from 2 minutes of ad's to 7 minutes of ad's making every show ~1h 20 minutes long instead of 54 minutes.. shit was cancer and what ended up pushing my decision to finally drop it. i don't mind waiting 6 months to binge watch an entire season on netflix instead of wasting my time watching/skipping ad's. but i usually forget about them by the time they get added and never end up watching them anyways.

netflix has to find some way to pay for half of its shitty original shows.

$2 aint gonna ruin anyone's christmas.

Just buy one less cup of Starbucks, and bam, you covered

[QUhttps://help.netflix.com/legal/termsofuseOTE="BloodyIron, post: 1043345049, member: 110283"]Implicit consent isn't necessarily legally binding in all jurisdictions. You need to be able to prove in a court of law that THAT person agreed to the TOS explicitly, not implicitly.[/QUOTE]

I saw many articles about the coming increase (including here in FPN) and received an email from Netflix as well, so I knew this was coming well in advance...and it's fine. A couple more bucks a month is worth it, especially since I share the account with family.

My only concern is the removal of content and whether or not the replacement content is worthwhile.

I remember when Sirius was 12.99. Now I have no idea what I pay. FML

I'm ok with price change, so long as the catalog is healthy. When it is not, I will no longer subscribe. Simple.

I get most of my entertainment from Amazon & Netflix. Both are available anywhere I go, on my own or someone else's devices. Movie? Sure, let me log on, and we have a huge choice of stuff, all for less than one crappy movie ticket. Worth it.

Just as a reminder, Netflix is operating at a loss.
While I have no knowledge of Netflix's financial position, it is extremely common for companies in an expansion or growth phase to operate at a loss for years on end. Amazon, for example.

While I have no knowledge of Netflix's financial position, it is extremely common for companies in an expansion or growth phase to operate at a loss for years on end. Amazon, for example.
Agreed, just saying you can't get super mad at them raising prices, their prices have risen and they are already giving things to you for less than it costs them to do

Agreed, just saying you can't get super mad at them raising prices, their prices have risen and they are already giving things to you for less than it costs them to do
Well, their costs have certainly increased a lot. At first when they bought the streaming rights to the IP, it wasn't worth much - because the business model wasn't existing in a mature state. Now that it is, and the revenues have been realized, the property owners want their due.

Back