Netflix Price Jumps Are Here to Crush Your Thanksgiving and Christmas Cheer

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Netflix revealed in October that prices were going up for its streaming video service, and many subscribers have begun receiving warnings of this change via email and app. For users who pay the 25th of every month, that meant finding out about it on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend and being charged the new price on Christmas this year.

Subscribers in the U.S. who pay for the standard $9.99 service will be charged $10.99. The price of the premium tier (ultra HD and 4 screens at the same time) will rise from $11.99 to $13.99. The price for the basic $7.99 plan remains unchanged. So that's about a $1 or $2 difference, at most. With the price hike, hopefully subscribers will have their expectations met and see more quality shows, including original series.

Last time I didn't get any warning. No email and wasn't using the service for at least a month or two. I found out by looking at my statement. Is it legal for them to charge me more without my consent?

Last time I didn't get any warning. No email and wasn't using the service for at least a month or two. I found out by looking at my statement. Is it legal for them to charge me more without my consent?
Your use of the service is consent.

Maybe Microsoft, Apple and Google will just say fuck it and deploy their own high-speed high capacity wireless towers all over the US and just go around these POS isp's.

It's only a matter of time before exceptional high-speed long range wireless comes to market that will bypass all these traditional ISP that want to limit your data and charge for high-speed lanes.

10-20% price hikes. Totally justifiable at any given random time amirite? People that base things on dollars (Oh it's just a dollar) are obviously business retarded.

Fuck no. I'm staying out of the monthly fee bullshit game as much as I can. I hate playing the bullshit games where they slowly bend you over month by month, by then they ream you with price hikes as a reward for being a dedicated bender-over-er.

Oh yeah baby, I'm so thankful for being a long-time customer. I don't want those "new member rates" or anything. How about giving me another reward for being here for 5 years with another price increase?

It's only a matter of time before exceptional high-speed long range wireless comes to market that will bypass all these traditional ISP that want to limit your data and charge for high-speed lanes.
Greed isn't going away anytime soon, no matter what face it wears.

That said, I have no problem with this increase and I watch maybe 10 hours a month.

10-20% price hikes. Totally justifiable at any given random time amirite? People that base things on dollars (Oh it's just a dollar) are obviously business retarded.

Fuck no. I'm staying out of the monthly fee bullshit game as much as I can. I hate playing the bullshit games where they slowly bend you over month by month, by then they ream you with price hikes as a reward for being a dedicated bender-over-er.

Oh yeah baby, I'm so thankful for being a long-time customer. I don't want those "new member rates" or anything. How about giving me another reward for being here for 5 years with another price increase?
Games and Netflix monthly fee is 2 different things. Games don't have to pay licensing fee to dozens of copyright holders to have to show their material. Also no MMORPG I have played has ever raised their monthly fee over the course of it's time. Not in the states at least.

I dropped my 4k and 4 streams to keep the same price with 2 streams and hd... freaking bastards

This worse than when i could no longer buy a 5 dolla foot long, or a 99 cent Mc double.

I got a 2% raise this year, and last year, etc. Why do these companies jack stuff up like 25-30% in one shot...

The again a game was $50 is at launch in 1991, and kinda is today.

Could you be more overly dramatic? Netflix's subscription cost is <1 hour of work for most people. But by all means, if the extra $1-2 per month is too rich for your blood, cancel.

I gotta say, $13.99 is still an incredible bargain to me for HD and 4 users since I got a family of four and a fatty pipe with no monthly cap. I can't see too many people being that angry over less than a $20/year increase for the quality service they provide.

Ok, I take that back...I just remembered how many self-entitled idiots there are out there...but I don't think it's a bad deal at all! Aside from all the back catalog their original programming while sort of hit or miss has produced some real gems that have really surprised and impressed the hell out of me with their quality!

Nope, this is one service I don't think really over charges for the value offered. I love the ability to watch it anywhere on anything and there's always something interesting to pass the time when I just don't feel like thinking any more.

Yeah.... Im fine with it. Netflix provides me tons of entertainment, the menu is the best out there and its dirt cheap. Im fine with a buck more per month. I dont begrudge them trying to turn a healthy profit.

I have no issues about the monthly price or the imminent price increase, but rather the depth of movie selection. It is rare that Netflix has a movie available for streaming that pops into my mind at some random time.

CBS charges $10 a month commercial-free for 2 or 3 original programs that are not broadcast. MGM is eyeing $20 a month for theirs and HBO is pulling their stuff from NetFlix to put on THEIR $15 a month OTT service. Even with the loss of HBO programming, NetFlix will still be a good deal at up to $20 a month. As more subs drop traditional cable expect to see more single network streaming services. The networks want their $90 a month from us and they will do anything to get it.

Don't forget that NetFlix was $20 a month for three-discs-at-a-time service when they started up in the late 1990's. That was what I was paying in 1998.

That's an overly dramatic (or clickbaity) title. $1 or $2 more per month will not crush my holiday spirit whatsoever, especially when it means I still don't have to pay a ton for cable.

That's a Megalith news post for ya.

Well, I got multiple emails and a notification in the app on my Rokus, so I think they went above and beyond in the notification this time.

CBS charges $10 a month commercial-free for 2 or 3 original programs that are not broadcast. MGM is eyeing $20 a month for theirs and HBO is pulling their stuff from NetFlix to put on THEIR $15 a month OTT service. Even with the loss of HBO programming, NetFlix will still be a good deal at up to $20 a month. As more subs drop traditional cable expect to see more single network streaming services. The networks want their $90 a month from us and they will do anything to get it.

Don't forget that NetFlix was $20 a month for three-discs-at-a-time service when they started up in the late 1990's. That was what I was paying in 1998.
Uhhhhhh when has HBO content been on Netflix? As a user for the past 6 or 7 years I don’t recall ever having HBO content. Are you confusing Netflix with Amazon Prime in this instance?

The networks want their $90 a month from us and they will do anything to get it.

And they can blow me. $15/mo is reasonable for a single streaming service that has the programs I want. Fragmentation driven by these greedy bastards will just drive peeps like me to the torrent sites to get the content we want and pay no one instead of a reasonably priced streaming service.

I find it kind of funny people are losing their minds over the $1 or 2 jump, but a standard cable/satellite bill is something like $60-120 dollars for most people.

For the content they provide $13 bucks a month is a bargain. We are in an age where people will spend $1,000 on a damn phone for christs sake.

No matter how you slice it, it's still the cheapest/easiets/most value per dollar form of digital streaming you can get. If the extra $1 or $2 is going to kill your budget, it's time to re-evaluate the budget from the ground up.

I have no issues about the monthly price or the imminent price increase, but rather the depth of movie selection. It is rare that Netflix has a movie available for streaming that pops into my mind at some random time.
Yup, Netflix has a great selection of original content, but the majority of their licensed content is mediocre. If you want a robust library of content then it's back to torrents or pirate streaming.

great hopefully they'll add more stuff for canadian cus.... and it's all the same shit.

more money for the same tired old crap.

thanks netflix.

I wonder when Megalith will post the next article detailing how great the PlayStation is?

Wonder what it'll cost once Netflix has to pay the ISPs to carry it?

Where have you been, they already did: https://www.google.com/search?sourc...1.64.psy-ab..0.12.918...0i131k1.0.pivQV14V0Hs

I do believe this rate increase is all content though, compared to a couple years ago, their content has exploded and some of it is getting pretty decent; whether it's all worth it is a matter of opinion, but this is the first time ever that I've paid for 4 months in a row and I feel I have a new problem, too much on the list to watch and a bit overwhelmed, tis a good thing I guess.

Shimmer Lake was pretty good, well layed out, the whole deputy riding in back seat was rather funny and I love a twist I didn't see coming. A bit surprised at its RT rating https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shimmer_lake/

I think it is still cheap. I will keep paying it especially since it is far less than what I was paying Directv when I canceled two years ago.

This is going to sound terrible because it kinda of is? But we have IP laws that give you rights to your IP for 70 years after the death of the creator or 95-120 years from creation date for hired work. So we have laws on the books that distort the market. On top of that, we have vertically integrated content creators and distribution systems ie CBS, NBC etc. Netflix currently operates at a loss which is why you can get it so cheap. If you want it to remain cheap you kind of have to support them. Your still going to get your little fiefdoms of content just like you did on cable, but netflix is probably the highest ROI for the consumer when it comes to sheer hours of content vs cost. So piracy and netflix set the price floor. So if you don't have netflix you kind of need to pirate everything if you want to try to offset the original distortion on the market which is IP laws.

I dropped my 4k and 4 streams to keep the same price with 2 streams and hd... freaking bastards

Yup, I did the same exact thing. Soon I'll just drop all the fucking streaming services that charge outrageous prices. Yeah yeah price and demand crap, yadda yadda. I was supposed to be grandfathered in, then bam they pull this. Shit if it wasn't that I'm at the mercy of rectum (Spectrum/TWC) here where I live, I would've dropped them too. No other net provider in my area so I'm boned.

Who here remembers that shit about the Postal Service wanting to charge a fee for using email? Wasn't that a kick in the balls?

I just got into the Daredevil TV show which is pretty decent.

The wife is watching that new Godless show.

I’ll keep paying my $14 a month. It’s like Spotify or any other service: if you get enjoyment from it why cancel over a buck increase.... Eventually it might not be a ‘good’ value, but I currently think it still is.

Implicit consent isn't necessarily legally binding in all jurisdictions. You need to be able to prove in a court of law that THAT person agreed to the TOS explicitly, not implicitly.

Your use of the service is consent.

Uhhhhhh when has HBO content been on Netflix? As a user for the past 6 or 7 years I don’t recall ever having HBO content. Are you confusing Netflix with Amazon Prime in this instance?

Yes. HBO is pulling all their stuff from Amazon Prime in 2018. Not a huge deal since the Amazon deal was only for programming older than three years. I'm expecting Amazon Prime to increase to $120 a year very soon since everyone is increasing prices. I'll probably end up doing what I did with CBS All Access and just keep NetFlix for a couple of months per year. It seems that I'm waiting a month or two for new content to appear on NetFlix anyway. Amazon Prime is still a good deal since the main reason for me to have it is for free 2-day shipping. Since I used to earn my living in the entertainment industry in a technical capacity ( not an over-paid actor/actress LOL ), I REFUSE to torrent content. No matter what anyone says, it IS theft, so the only option for me is to pay for immediate access OR wait for the content to be released on physical media. Having said that, I DO agree that things need to change in the entertainment industry, like copyright law and CEO-type salaries for top-billed talent. Pay them by the hour like the crew.

I do most of my viewing through Amazon these days. I just straight up rent new releases from there. I should probably get rid of my Netflix subscription as I don't use it enough to warrant the price. Especially with Moviepass these days.

Back