Netflix Permanently Pulls iTunes Billing for New Users

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Netflix has become much less tolerant of Apple’s 15-percent revenue cut for in-app subscriptions: following a test in select territories, the streaming giant will no longer allow new subscribers to sign up and pay for the service via iTunes. While nothing will change for current streamers, new customers will have to join through the official website. Netflix “remains one of the top-grossing apps on Apple’s App Store.”

Music streaming service Spotify, news outlet Financial Times, Fortnite developer Epic Games, and Steam developer Valve have also brushed shoulders with the giants. Epic Games, which first ditched Google Play altogether, launched its own game store for PC and Mac platforms with a 12 percent cut of revenue early this month. Days later, communication platform Discord announced that it was planning to charge only 10 percent on each sale to game developers on its recently launched store.

Update from Netflix spokesperson: "We no longer support iTunes as a method of payment for new members. Existing members who currently use iTunes as a method of payment can continue to do so. Apple is a valued partner with whom we work closely to deliver great entertainment to members around the world across a range of devices including the iPhone and Apple TV."

Last edited by a moderator:
Good. No reason to go through iTunes anyway.

People like options, so that's not true. If nothing else, could get iTunes gift card discounts up to 20%, and I can cash in my credit card rewards for 20% bonus "cash" by taking iTunes gift cards. It makes a pretty effective discount on anything subscribed that way.

People like options, so that's not true. If nothing else, could get iTunes gift card discounts up to 20%, and I can cash in my credit card rewards for 20% bonus "cash" by taking iTunes gift cards. It makes a pretty effective discount on anything subscribed that way.

Didn't know about that program. Good to know, but I don't have an ipod/phone/pad so I don't really need iTunes for anything I can't do in a web browser.

Why did they ever have this as an option to begin with? Like it or not, Apple has been clear with their policy of in-app purchases for several years.
I believe Amazon Kindle was one of the first major companies that ran into Apple on this - you used to be able to buy books for the Kindle app from within the app itself. Amazon changed how this worked very quickly. (From a development perspective, it's not a lot of work to handle - your app launches a web view that takes you to that part of your web portal, handle processing, back to the app to read your book.)

They can pay 15% more through the iTunes store then... no? Wouldn't they want that option?

This - Netflix shouldn't remove the option, but they *should* jack it up by the 15% that Apple is charging them for the privilege of being there. Unlike credit/debit/cash being discriminated against in the same store, I don't think there are any/many laws against selling things at different prices depending on the store.

They can pay 15% more through the iTunes store then... no? Wouldn't they want that option?

I realize that most of this forum hates Apple but obviously I'm talking about price parity. Netflix can do whatever they want and customers will respond accordingly.

Your more likely going to be buying Netflix from there website anyway I would not even consider to use Google pay or iTunes money for this as I would of already done this on a computer or via smart TV

Update from Netflix spokesperson: "We no longer support iTunes as a method of payment for new members. Existing members who currently use iTunes as a method of payment can continue to do so. Apple is a valued partner with whom we work closely to deliver great entertainment to members around the world across a range of devices including the iPhone and Apple TV."

Back