Netflix Password Sharing Crackdown

Uvaman2

2[H]4U
https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/netflix-password-sharing-crackdown/

In a push to not distinguish itself from everyone else, Netflix is considering pushing back against password sharing.
I predict, Netflix death spiral to start 2 years after they start cracking down. This is a humongous mistake.
Im sure this is due to 'shareholder pressure' .
Mayor, mayor mistake.
I do share mine, and that is a big reason I would NEVER cancel it, as to have Grandma enjoy a few shows here and there at her house. In a sense I keep it for myself, but also for her.. and that is why I never pause, and always pay month after month, year after year.

I'm, not convinced Netflix will be harmed by this course of action.

I'm sure there are some people who sign up with the intent of sharing the password, and split the cost, but these must be a minority.

Most people who pay for Netflix probably do so because they are willing to pay for Netflix for themselves, and then share their password with friends and family, but if they didn't have the ability to share their password, I'm not convinced that would mean that they would drop their subscription. In that regard I think they have very little to lose from this course of action.

Will a lot of people be unhappy? Sure. But they will by and large not be the paying subscribers.

In fact, it may just convince some moochers to pony up and pay for themselves.

Last edited:
The smart thing to do for netflix would be to make a family share plan, give up to 4 unique login locations and profiles for say 1.5x normal sub rate but restrict to a max of 2 login at the same time.
They already limit how many can watch at once (2 on my account) and also limit how many accounts total you can have.

I don’t have a problem with this corporate slight tightening of the typical ethical expectations of a paid service. I do have a problem with Netflix raising my rates by $2 a month every year to pay $40 million to the likes of Will Smith or Adam Sandler for seriously overpriced and under performing Netflix Original content. I’ll forgo the expensive mainstream actors and original content to keep my monthly subscription cost down please... or I’ll move on.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wil...ade-millions-for-bad-movies-on-netflix-2018-8
2D4634F5-E129-44CC-A29D-F06A67A275A7.jpeg

Well, then I guess both of my kids (who are away at college) are gonna be real disappointed then, cause we all share the same account, in addition to the 4 Roku's at home when they are there....

So Netfilx should just give us a shared family plan & be happy, yes ?

They already limit how many can watch at once (2 on my account) and also limit how many accounts total you can have.

I don’t have a problem with this corporate slight tightening of the typical ethical expectations of a paid service. I do have a problem with Netflix raising my rates by $2 a month every year to pay $40 million to the likes of Will Smith or Adam Sandler for seriously overpriced and under performing Netflix Original content. I’ll forgo the expensive mainstream actors and original content to keep my monthly subscription cost down please... or I’ll move on.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wil...ade-millions-for-bad-movies-on-netflix-2018-8
View attachment 193801

Problem is Netflix also has a ton of shit shows with unknown actors that no one watches. A-list actors bring more revenue and clicks. I read somewhere that Adam Sandlers movies are the most watched on Netflix even though they're hot garbage they grab the attention of the majority of users.

I give it maybe 5 years but, I have already left them and will not be going back. Most of their content now is garbage, their made for stuff is clueless and terrible and they push leftist political crap down the viewers throat at every turn. (Used to be able to ignore it but, they just became anti Christian and that pushed me over the edge.) Goodbye Netflix, you will make a good how not to run your business into the ground for some business college courses.

Netflix is funded by George Soros and mostly exists to spread propaganda and degeneracy. I hope they do go out of business
Huh. The rock I live under apparently is bigger than I thought. I never knew he was linked to Netflix.

Huh. The rock I live under apparently is bigger than I thought. I never knew he was linked to Netflix.

His fund management company used to own a bunch of Netflix stock, but dumped most (or all) of it before the stock price tumbled last year. If the company still owns shares in Netflix its not a big enough amount to really count among top investors. At least from what a quick Google search is showing and I don't feel like putting a lot of effort into it for stupid conspiracy theories.

Soon we will all be dead and our kids will just be watching people, watching netflix, on youtube and twitch. Then subs will really plummet lol.

Reactions: PeaKr
like this
I have zero emotional attachment to Netflix and would not mind if they went out of business.

Too many woke specials, and too often canceling good shows like Santa Clarita and Travelers (and dozens more) just when they get going for 3 seasons.

Also, anything that gives college kids the sadz is something I'm on board with as a general principal.

I have zero emotional attachment to Netflix and would not mind if they went out of business.

Too many woke specials, and too often canceling good shows like Santa Clarita and Travelers (and dozens more) just when they get going for 3 seasons.

Also, anything that gives college kids the sadz is something I'm on board with as a general principal.
What is a woke special?

I do share mine, and that is a big reason I would NEVER cancel it, as to have Grandma enjoy a few shows here and there at her house. In a sense I keep it for myself, but also for her.. and that is why I never pause, and always pay month after month, year after year.

Think about it - if Netflix were to not allow password sharing then they could potentially keep prices lower, meaning more potential subscribers. Your grandma is the reason why Netflix will die in the long run.

Think about it - if Netflix were to not allow password sharing then they could potentially keep prices lower...
Lol like that would ever happen...
Customers like the "ability" to password share, thus customers like Netflix. Take that away, you will have unhappy customers, thus will be worse in the long run. Nearly everyone knows that to be successful in the long run, you need to keep customers happy.
If they take away the ability to password share without significantly decreasing prices, then customers will not be happy. Drop prices, you just might keep them happy. They don't have a near monopoly anymore

Think about it - if Netflix were to not allow password sharing then they could potentially keep prices lower, meaning more potential subscribers. Your grandma is the reason why Netflix will die in the long run.

The vast majority of their costs are acquiring new IPs / shows and production...I doubt having less people using the service is going to significantly impact their costs to a point where they would lower prices.

Prices are never going back down at this point.

But grandma falling in love with House of Cards and telling everyone about it at the home encourages more people to sub. ?
Like the arguments against piracy of old, just because they pirate, doesn't mean they're a lost sale. A percentage of them will at least become advertisement or paying customers in the future as their circumstance changes. (wanting more streams to themselves or the original sub gets canceled...etc).

Yes, they should be able to get the money from their services. I just don't think going down this route is the best way to improve revenue. This is like digging through couch for change when you're broke. Sure, you'll probably find something, but is it really worth the time and effort?

But grandma falling in love with House of Cards and telling everyone about it at the home encourages more people to sub.

Not if they are all sharing your PW, LOL. I used to buy my mom a Netflix sub every year for her bday. Then she bitches and moans that the movies she wants to watch aren't on there. So not this year...

Look Netflix is about to have a whole lot more competition with all the other various streaming services coming online. Then we'll see some changes. For the better, who knows.

My random ass prediction is Netflix will buy Fandango or Redbox or one of the other streamers that do PPV on demand stuff. But my ass is usually wrong.

Whatever. Netflix is cheap enough to me, I would pay more. I can watch muh sitcoms, my baby can watch a ton of kids stuff free, it streams better than any other service, some shows are good(Norsemen) some bad. People hate on success but Netflix has been pretty great.

Dropped them after using it for two years. Not enough good content for the price. Losing the Marvel stuff sucked.

Oh well. Back to using the free / legal content sites or the high seas. Yar!

In a push to not distinguish itself from everyone else, Netflix is considering pushing back against password sharing.
I predict, Netflix death spiral to start 2 years after they start cracking down. This is a humongous mistake.
Mayor, mayor mistake.

Factual headlines next time. This is news, not opinion.

Problem is Netflix also has a ton of shit shows with unknown actors that no one watches. A-list actors bring more revenue and clicks. I read somewhere that Adam Sandlers movies are the most watched on Netflix even though they're hot garbage they grab the attention of the majority of users.
FWIW, I can't stand Sandler. Netflix used up most of it's potential when people had run out of good, older movies to watch. Then it was 'classic' TV shows. Now it's into original shows, and that is often a hard sell. And if they get a hit? No great increase in revenue.
There aren't enough grandmas logging on to watch terrible stand up comedians and shows with every character having sex with each other, to cause a dent in Netflix' huge streaming business.
After all, it used to be that an aspiring businessman opened his business, with great products at good prices, that generated not only more sales, but repeat business as his products reputation spoke for themselves.
The modern American business SOP is to create a product, make is great and successful, then gradually cut quality, keep making it cheaper and cheaper, until it sucks more and more, until you lose business because no one wants it anymore. All to maximize profits. Then try to 'LOOK! NEW AND IMPROVED!' all your merchandise, perhaps with some mention of 'under new management' to con the customers into buying the company's products once again. Unfortunately, sometimes that results in an irreversible downturn in business that it cannot withstand, and the company folds, or gets bought up by FartCo, who also manufactures crap. Of course, the executives who managed this mess into the ground, always come out with more bonuses for the interim profits that were generated, as well as their golden parachute multi millions to float to their offshore accounts while the workers from the company, winds up working at Walmart or Burger King.

Everyone I know seems to be using some else's password. Obviously, it is very wide spread. I think they as well as others should crack down.
I pay for everything I use. Netflix is $13 a month. I think EVERYONE can afford that.

I don't think Netflix can really stop password sharing as long as they are allowing multiple streams. I mean netflix is a family streaming platform, it really shouldn't be an issue if another family member is watching the allowed stream. If you are capped at streams they have already limited you. What neflix needs to do is stop releasing all episodes at once, that is a strategy that is not going to to work. Apple and Disney are already adopting to weekly episodes depending on series. That makes much more business sense. You don't get people paying for one month free or paying 10 bucks to binge watch a show and then cancel.

View attachment 193801
i watched adam sandler standup on netflix. it was all like, low grade poop jokes without any substance. not even funny :p

Mayor, mayor mistake.

June 20 puts baby. I'm gonna make a fortune. Disney and apple gonna eat their lunch.

Wew, post removed. Someone doesn't like naming 'them'.

Dark crystal is about the only thing I watch on there, it's great. Will Sandler and co are irrelevant to me.

Back