Netflix Passes Piracy in U.S. Net Traffic

Now we just need to get the caps lifted on Comcast and ATT. I am easily streaming over 250 gigs of HD through Netflix and Hulu with no p2p activity, yet Comcast claims a majority of users only need 8 gb.

im gonna call you on that....unless you have a constant stream of both running all day...which is abnormal either way...you should find a way to accurately measure your bandwidth, like at the gateway in the router, you might think you're easily streaming over 250Gb, so did i, until i got a real measurement....it's far less than you think, typically under 100Gb a month for typical usage

lets see.. provide a quality product, quality service and @ competitive price = win!
why the government cannot see this, is beyond me.
Leave the free market alone and it will prosper.

lets see.. provide a quality product, quality service and @ competitive price = win!
why the government cannot see this, is beyond me.
Leave the free market alone and it will prosper.

It is "win" until the cable companies decide to cap traffic in an effort to curb Netflix consumption as a competitor to their own services.

I guess you didn't read my post, so again I'll say that I could get into netflix but I was unable too stream anything. I knew many people with the same issue so don't go assuming I was doing it wrong. :rolleyes:

I guess you cannot read your own post? You said you could browse after many tries of canceling to connect to PSN. If what you did was in fact keep hitting cancel then you were doing it wrong. I am not assuming anything, just read what you said. So it still seems like you were doing it wrong. Congrats.

^^

Plus I find it quite strange that some people could connect while others could not on a systems that should for all intents purpose be identical.

Now we just need to get the caps lifted on Comcast and ATT. I am easily streaming over 250 gigs of HD through Netflix and Hulu with no p2p activity, yet Comcast claims a majority of users only need 8 gb.

I don't believe it. Not only do I think you're not watching 4 hours a day every day, I don't think there's enough decent content on Netflix Instant to watch 4 hours a day every day for more than a couple weeks at most.

Can I just some better content for my $7.99. The only ones that even watch netflix at home are the kids.

STEAM should do this.

They do. Well, they have an internet cafe plan, which is something like $20/mo or so to get everything. I don't know if you can get just a single account this way, but this is how internet cafes do it.

Unless I'm reading that graph wrong, and I might be, p2p file transfers don't seem to have changed terribly much. So much for that argument that 2% of the users use 90% of the bandwidth, because that 2% would need to be doing something like p2p (or other types of illegal downloading) in order to use so much bandwidth.

This was pretty much my experience. If it worked for some of you I feel cheated now. :(

I know how you feel. It worked for me on the PS3 in my living room, but the PS3 in my bedroom worked at first but eventually would only let me browse titles and then crapped out with an error message when I tried to stream.

60G Fat PS3 in living room, slim in the bedroom, both were running 2.02 of the netflix api. I didn't check the firmware revisions but I update whenever they ask and use both almost every day.

Piracy does not only mean peer-to-peer. That is probably the majority, but maybe only 50-60% of piracy. I think this article is very very innacurate.

I guess you cannot read your own post? You said you could browse after many tries of canceling to connect to PSN. If what you did was in fact keep hitting cancel then you were doing it wrong. I am not assuming anything, just read what you said. So it still seems like you were doing it wrong. Congrats.

Yes I did have to cancel the error msg to browse titles as the error msg would not time out or go away for me or others I know, so again I wasn't doing anything wrong for my particular case. Just bc you have identical systems and network doesn't mean the experience will be the same.

We could build an identical pc with the same parts and connect to the same network but that doesn't mean our experience will be identical, close maybe. Just bc it's on a console doesn't make things exactly the same, experiences differ even if only slightly.

To give you an example I have a few games that slowdown with framerate loss on my 360 but on some friends they play fine. I have a newer 360 btw that is supposed to be better etc than my friends older units yet they have no problems. Other than a couple of games I have no issues.

I also had other ways to view netflix but friends who did not.

Oh and just bc you could doesn't make your "experience" fact.

I don't believe it. Not only do I think you're not watching 4 hours a day every day, I don't think there's enough decent content on Netflix Instant to watch 4 hours a day every day for more than a couple weeks at most.

That's a rather subjective statement. I personally could watch every documentary on there and enjoy it, this is different for everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Obi Juan

That's a rather subjective statement. I personally could watch every documentary on there and enjoy it, this is different for everybody.

I'll also agree with you here, there's enough tv season content alone not counting the occassional movie as well as lots of documentary's that I could easily surpass 4hours a day if I had the time to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Obi Juan

I'll also agree with you here, there's enough tv season content alone not counting the occassional movie as well as lots of documentary's that I could easily surpass 4hours a day if I had the time to do so.

So you only half disagree with me. No one except virgins are watching 4+ hours a day.

"How can a legal service be beating piracy?"

Perhaps it's because when you give people what they want, when they want it, and at a reasonable price, the result is an outbreak of integrity and honesty?

Can I just some better content for my $7.99. The only ones that even watch netflix at home are the kids.

Same here. I can't find jack shit worth watching on Netflix Streaming. Seems to me like it's mostly newer shit movies noone cares about, good movies I've already seen on BD, or old crap.

So you only half disagree with me. No one except virgins are watching 4+ hours a day.

I don't have time to watch 4hours plus a day, I said that. Though I can easily see some familys sitting down to watch tv around 7 or 8pm and easily watching till 10 or 11pm. What does being a virgin have to do with watching tv? Such an asinine statement. :rolleyes:

Same here. I can't find jack shit worth watching on Netflix Streaming. Seems to me like it's mostly newer shit movies noone cares about, good movies I've already seen on BD, or old crap.

Some old "crap" as you call it is still good and their are good seasons of tv shows on there for people who didn't catch them on when they first aired, no matter how old, good is good, period. Views of course vary on the subject. I do agree that more new movies available for streaming would be nice b/c most are dvd/bluray availability only.

Yeah, I read about that earlier today. But too bad the BW capping a-holes at Comcast and AT&T will effectively prevent their customers from using Netflix. :( :mad:

I don't have time to watch 4hours plus a day, I said that. Though I can easily see some familys sitting down to watch tv around 7 or 8pm and easily watching till 10 or 11pm. What does being a virgin have to do with watching tv? Such an asinine statement. :rolleyes:

Dude says he's legitimately hitting the cap. To do that requires 4 or more hours of netflix hd a day. Every day.

Dude says he's legitimately hitting the cap. To do that requires 4 or more hours of netflix hd a day. Every day.
Not all households just have 1 person in it. A family of 4, each watching his/her own thing, would break the cap at 1 hour/day each.

Kinds remind me of the

"hey Ill pay you to have sex with me, but I have to video tape it so it's legal instead of prostitution.

:rolleyes:

Not all households just have 1 person in it. A family of 4, each watching his/her own thing, would break the cap at 1 hour/day each.

Exactly, that's why I said in my post that family's could easily do this, but apparently he assumes only one person is using netflix.

When my fiance & I only had netflix as our primary source of entertainment at our apartment I'm sure we blew through that cap every month and then some. Luckily for us we had free internet with our apartment (military) and didn't have a cap to my knowledge.

We have AT&T dsl at the moment which is the best we could get a year ago, now comcast has 20+meg speeds now in our area so we may switch when our contract is up. Go from one evil corp to another but faster speeds for the same money kind of makes sense.

Exactly, that's why I said in my post that family's could easily do this, but apparently he assumes only one person is using netflix.

When my fiance & I only had netflix as our primary source of entertainment at our apartment I'm sure we blew through that cap every month and then some. Luckily for us we had free internet with our apartment (military) and didn't have a cap to my knowledge.

We have AT&T dsl at the moment which is the best we could get a year ago, now comcast has 20+meg speeds now in our area so we may switch when our contract is up. Go from one evil corp to another but faster speeds for the same money kind of makes sense.
At least you have a wireline broadband choice, even though like you said you'd be picking the lesser of two evils. I have a choice of AT&T and unknown/untested Clear WiMax. I thought about signing up w/ Netflix this summer to catch up on cable shows, but I don't want to pay for the AT&T overage fee that I'd probably incur. :(

At least you have a wireline broadband choice, even though like you said you'd be picking the lesser of two evils. I have a choice of AT&T and unknown/untested Clear WiMax. I thought about signing up w/ Netflix this summer to catch up on cable shows, but I don't want to pay for the AT&T overage fee that I'd probably incur. :(

Yeah it sucks that the choices for broadband in most areas is limited to one or two companies, very seldom more.

Back