Netflix Passes Piracy in U.S. Net Traffic

So you mean if you provide a legal service that is as or more efficient than piracy for an acceptable fee people will pay for it?

Mind Blown

So you mean if you provide a legal service that is as or more efficient than piracy for an acceptable fee people will pay for it?

Mind Blown

I like your way of thinking. Do you have a news letter or a blog to elabroate on such a genius concept?

Unless you were watching Netflix on a PS3 like I was, in which case it has gone untouched for weeks...

Uh, I thought you could still watch netflix on the ps3 even though psn was down.

I just signed up with netflix last week and have been able to watch on my ps3. I will gladly pay the handful of dollars for instant streaming vs waiting fifteen minutes to an hour every time I feel like watching something.

interesting.
mostly because sandvine also is saying that 60% of peak traffic is P2P, while during peak hrs its 64%
http://www.sandvine.com/news/pr_detail.asp?ID=203

numbers are not jiving there sandvine...
ohhhhh yeaaahhhhh... thats right, they actually sell traffic shaping solutions...

keep in mind, the link i posted is outdated (2008).
but still... from 60% in 2008 to 15% in 2009 and no growth? numbers are not accurate

What's funny with Netflix success over the years, where are the imitators? I want more competition so the studios will finally start letting more streaming content available.

Unless the amount of data usage has stayed the same between 2010 and 2011 then you can't really say services like netflix are putting a dent in file sharing based solely on this graph. Could just mean more people are watching video from services like netflix instead of watching it through cable or satellite.

Everyone could, those who 'couldn't' merely didn't want to. They'd rather rage that they couldn't since that is the only thing they want to do.

Uh....wrong!!! :rolleyes: I could connect to netflix and browse after many tries and canceling the system trying to connect to PSN but I could not stream anything. It gave me an error telling me I must connect to PSN first. I had many friends who could not as well, but I have other means for Netflix (HTPC, Xbox 360) but many friends did not.

So what were you saying again. oh yeah spreading more FUD!

Uh....wrong!!! :rolleyes: I could connect to netflix and browse after many tries and canceling the system trying to connect to PSN but I could not stream anything. It gave me an error telling me I must connect to PSN first. I had many friends who could not as well, but I have other means for Netflix (HTPC, Xbox 360) but many friends did not.

He's probably just trolling, it would be really sad if he actually believed that. lol My Netflix worked just fine up until the day before they started turning everything back on. Then I was getting the errors like others were and could no longer use it. At least it was only for a day though. :)

People pirate out of convenience, not money. Instant gratification with no trailers or DRM, versus driving to the store and dealing with unskippable trailers and "you must update this player's firmware to play this movie."

Convenience is the point to compete with piracy on, not price. Netflix gets this, and that's why they are doing well when all the others are failing.

People pirate out of convenience, not money. Instant gratification with no trailers or DRM, versus driving to the store and dealing with unskippable trailers and "you must update this player's firmware to play this movie."

Convenience is the point to compete with piracy on, not price. Netflix gets this, and that's why they are doing well when all the others are failing.

when does this you must update firmware happen? because i have a relatively old Sony BDP-S360 bluray player and have never seen that message......now my player is wired to my broadband like it is supposed to be.....but still...we rent from netflix and redbox all the time and never a problem

we dont have cable tv either, netflix and redbox and several OTA channels and we got more than we know how to watch.....not to mention XBMC with a few plugins....cable TV is so "ten years ago" for us

when does this you must update firmware happen? because i have a relatively old Sony BDP-S360 bluray player and have never seen that message......now my player is wired to my broadband like it is supposed to be.....but still...we rent from netflix and redbox all the time and never a problem

When I put the latest Narnia movie in my Sony player it went "lolnou, update kthnx." And we all had to wait like 5 minutes. Lame.

Later this year the same people that provide Netflix will provide... NetGames! A service you pay $8 a month, and you can rent any PC game you want. Just download it onto your PC, and play.

You know it'll outdo game piracy on PC.
;)

Never had a problem with Netflix on my PS3 during the down time. Commonly people cancel out of the PSN sign-in which would break Netflix, however, if you attempted the log in and let it error out, Netflix would run like a champ.

This.

Later this year the same people that provide Netflix will provide... NetGames! A service you pay $8 a month, and you can rent any PC game you want. Just download it onto your PC, and play.

;)

STEAM should do this.

Something isnt right there.. so there was NO gaming in 2010 or 2011? Or did it some how drop to such a insignificant number it didnt even need to be shown? Im having issues with these numbers.

I am skeptical of this...

Between finding a good site to get things from, finding a good copy on a site, downloading it, getting it transferred to a player that plays it on a TV well, dealing with codecs, etc... pirating isn't an easier way to do things for people, especially people who aren't super tech savvy.

Not saying doing this is hard for someone who knows what they are doing. Just that it sounds more like a justification than a reason.

People pirate for a lot of reasons. Many do it out of convenience(being lazy) but money comes into play. Others just because they see it as a victim less crime or they make something up to justify their actions. Pretty much you will have people pirate because they can. They expect something for nothing. Hell when you read some of the reports of companies talking about how much of their tech support requests come from pirates its nuts.

Don't get me wrong convenience with a fair price will help deter those in the middle. People who are angry about the copy protection issues and whatnot. It will also help those who otherwise just would have chosen to go without. There are a lot of movies I wouldn't mind watching but don't feel like buying a 30 dollar copy to watch it. The ability to watch many of them for a flat fee(same goes for older tv episodes) makes me watch things I otherwise would not have. Sure I could find them on the darker areas of the internet(as with pretty much anything) but it wasn't something that meant enough to me. Convenience isn't really a factor, I could buy the back seasons off amazon(the digital download or the disks), itunes, zune marketplace, etc. Getting the episodes off zune is as easy as netflix. Comes down to cost for me. Seasons of tv shows start at around 20 bucks a pop.

Something isnt right there.. so there was NO gaming in 2010 or 2011? Or did it some how drop to such a insignificant number it didnt even need to be shown? Im having issues with these numbers.

I used my cell phone to play World of Warcraft several times. The app, PDA Net, keeps track of your upload/download. And after several hours, WoW had only used like 20MB or something. I don't think games really use that much data now compared to the heavy multimedia rich websites we have.

And ya you had to continue 3 times or so for Netflix to finally work during the PSN downtime.

What's funny with Netflix success over the years, where are the imitators? I want more competition so the studios will finally start letting more streaming content available.

Blockbuster online, amazon, and now google video?

I used my cell phone to play World of Warcraft several times. The app, PDA Net, keeps track of your upload/download. And after several hours, WoW had only used like 20MB or something. I don't think games really use that much data now compared to the heavy multimedia rich websites we have.

Gaming wasnt the only thing that left the chart.. social media wasnt in 2009.. but was there in 2010.. but again gone in 2011. Im fairly sure social media is taking up bandwidth..

Netflix is sooo good. And its only going to get bigger and better as they have more money to spend on licensing more movies, shows, etc

;)

This will never happen unless things drastically change. Its why Netflix is struggling with getting rights to streaming media. Sure you can rent a disc all day long under the first sale doctrine but as soon as that same media is digital its a whole different ballpark.

No sounds like you were doing it wrong. You go to login and Sony servers shoot a msg back that they were down and presto you get into Netflix. Canceling the login does not work.

I'd guess that about 90% of my 250gig monthly cap with comcast goes to netflix

No sounds like you were doing it wrong. You go to login and Sony servers shoot a msg back that they were down and presto you get into Netflix. Canceling the login does not work.

I guess you didn't read my post, so again I'll say that I could get into netflix but I was unable too stream anything. I knew many people with the same issue so don't go assuming I was doing it wrong. :rolleyes:

The PS3 Netflix issues were PSN issues I'm sure. Those that got it to work, great. But its not a reflection on Netflixs' service on a broken network. Just wanted to be sure that's clear. Netflix has been rock solid for years for us now, but its only as good as the network its being delivered on.

Uh....wrong!!! :rolleyes: I could connect to netflix and browse after many tries and canceling the system trying to connect to PSN but I could not stream anything. It gave me an error telling me I must connect to PSN first.

This was pretty much my experience. If it worked for some of you I feel cheated now. :(

Now we just need to get the caps lifted on Comcast and ATT. I am easily streaming over 250 gigs of HD through Netflix and Hulu with no p2p activity, yet Comcast claims a majority of users only need 8 gb.

Back