Netflix Now Only Has 31 Movies From IMDB’s Top 250 List

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's fairly well known that Netflix's movie library has shrunk recently but I didn't realize it was this bad. I mostly use Netflix to binge watch shows I've missed out on and original content, so maybe that's why I didn't notice the lack of decent movies on the service. Then again, I didn't even know there was an IMDB Top 250 List either.

Well, it’s a pretty common fact at this point that Netflix’s library is shrinking. Of course, what Netflix needs to do as it shrinks its licensed movie library is make sure the movies it does have are good ones. But according to our analysis, it’s going backwards, unfortunately. A while back we noticed a post from this Reddit member who, two years ago, cross-referenced the IMDB (Internet Movie Database) top 250 movies list with Netflix’s movie library to find out how many of the top movies Netflix carried.

I am fine with Netflix having less movies. I mainly just use it to binge watch TV shows anyway. If removing movies helps them keep costs down and allows them to keep cranking out original content I am fine with that. If there is a newer movie I really want to see I am fine with pay the $1-$2 and renting it from Redbox.

The thing is, I doubt there's a movie on the top 250 movie list that I haven't already seen. I see every movie I want to see in theaters or I rent it when it comes out.

Netflix's competitive advantage lies in its originals and its TV shows.

Yeah, Most of Netflix movie selection is low ball B- movies and foreign films. Personally I Like a lot of the British TV series; good depth, and good character development. Plots and modification that make sense.

Reactions: jtm55
like this
I stopped subbing to Netflix because the movie selection is so crap. Literally every single time I'd be reminded of some movie and want to watch it (whether recent or 30 years old) it would NEVER be on Netflix.

Reactions: NoNRG
like this
Been watching the latest season of TWD-The Walking Dead.
At this point the plot is more similar to a video game than anything else.
Zombie mashing-Fight boss-zombie mashing-fight boss.

Been watching the latest season of TWD-The Walking Dead.
At this point the plot is more similar to a video game than anything else.
Zombie mashing-Fight boss-zombie mashing-fight boss.

If that's how The Walking Dead is, I should get back into it. That's all I wanted out of a zombie show. Not all that stupid wife drama and shit. Why I stopped watching after like 2 seasons. Was less zombies and too much human drama bs.

The thing is, I doubt there's a movie on the top 250 movie list that I haven't already seen. I see every movie I want to see in theaters or I rent it when it comes out.

Netflix's competitive advantage lies in its originals and its TV shows.

I agree. For me it's Netflix Originals, followed by TV shows I haven't watched then lately I've been watching a lot of BBC shows. It's totally worth it.

Actually, I'll add that my wife is Korean and they have a pretty decent selection of Korean movies that I wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to see.

If that's how The Walking Dead is, I should get back into it. That's all I wanted out of a zombie show. Not all that stupid wife drama and shit. Why I stopped watching after like 2 seasons. Was less zombies and too much human drama bs.

I on the other hand loved that the focus was on the humans, betting on who will survive and who will die was fun (except when it was someone who had really grown on you). The Governor character is the highlight so far and the seasons he is in are the best. I have not watched the latest season yet but the show is definetly getting repetive though, it is afraid to take risks. It seems like that now there is a core group of badasses where no one ever dies.

Oh and yeah, the wife thingy got on my nerves too. It does have a satisfying end though so endure through it. :p

I'm fine with Netflix having more TV shows and own content as I now enjoy that more.

Amazon Prime has masses of movies but if you look through them they are movies you've never heard of and they are all made within the past 3 years with a GoPro or Smartphone. Junk. Again we mainly use Prime for the TV content.

2 at a time DVD plan + MakeMKV >>>>>>>>>>>> streaming plan.

Disk shows up, rip it, watch at my convenience on a device of my choosing, delete the files when I'm done. After a short while your backlog is bigger than you have time to watch, and you never have to worry about whether the content is available over streaming.

Netflix Movie selection has sucked for a while, I gave up a few months ago. but now, they have robotech, so I might go back.

Resubbed this month to catch up on my favorite TV shows. Movie selection seems a bit better so I might stay subbed for awhile. Hopefully, the Disney deal brings better content to the service.

Thank you netflix for removing movies and focusing on original content and tv shows. There are plenty of other outlets for movies. The original shows on netflix are right up there with HBO's original content. It makes perfect sense for netflix to get it's watchers hooked on series which require weeks/months to watch than a movie that's one and done.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I find tv series get much higher quality and movies getting lower quality. Additionally it's much easier to find 30min -1hr of time i can watch an episode than carve out several hours to watch a movie. So I think netflix is doing the right thing to keep monthly rates in check but still offering the best content possible.

Netflix has always been this way. They almost never have movies I want to watch. I haven't watched an actual movie on Netflix for years. I love the access to the shows, though. The Marvel shows and the other original content are worth the sub price to me.

For network TV shows, I usually went with HuluPlus, but with them losing many of the CW shows I loved to watch, I may end up cutting them loose. They haven't had anything new I've wanted to watch at all so far this season. It's really annoying.

I watch a lot of netflix originals and TV like many have said, I almost never watch a movie.

As to TWD I thought the last season was excellent and with Negan coming up it should be really good season 7.

There is no money for them in movies. They are expensive to license and people generally only watch them once, so they get an hour and a half of engagement. TV shows on the other hand are cheaper, and people will be watching for much longer time.

American movies rely on sex, farts and burps. No story. Of course there are some really good movies mixed in, but American culture has gotten so shallow!

2 at a time DVD plan

I used to do that and actually watch them using the DVDs, but I end up waiting for weeks for a DVD in the series or disk 2 comes before disk 1 or disk 3 is scratched and unwatchable. It's more of a PITA than it is worth.

It's not that bad. The US just has a ton more filler than Canadian Netflix.
Yeah I thought I was going to have to bail once they started blocking DNS-proxies but being stuck on the Canadian Netflix hasn't been nearly as bad as I feared.

Then again, I'm into artsy and foreign flicks and I enjoy much of the original content.

That's not necessarily bad since it's unreasonable to expect Netflix to constantly have often very expensive agreements with all those studios and distributors at once, yet still hold down the subscription price.

I would be more interested in how many of the top 250 rotate in over a period of a year or two. If that number is low, there certainly is a problem.

I don't really care that much about TV shows, so I hope at some point they'll give us a Netflix that focuses on movies and a separate service that focuses on TV shows.
I'd much rather watch a 1.5-3 hour movie than 100 hours of TV stretched out to fill the time needed for a season.

I agree with y'all. It appears that Netflix is doing exactly what we want them to do. If killing a bit more of their already anemic movie selection helps them keep their expenses (and our costs!) down - I applaud them.

I very rarely watch a movie on Netflix; almost all TV shows and original Netflix content.

Redbox is sufficient for new movie releases.

One thing nice about the studios jacking their prices is that it's forcing everyone to create original content. Even YouTube Red - they just rolled out "The Thinning" and I was surprised at the production value of it.

Essentially the studio greed is accelerating their obsoleteness.

I'd like to see more, better movies on netflix, especially older ones, but for what they have I feel it's still good value

i usually praise netflix for content like Docus and shows, but damn only 31? i tried to to watch some of the then top 250 on netflix a few years back but i forget how many they had or i got thru.

One thing nice about the studios jacking their prices is that it's forcing everyone to create original content.
Essentially the studio greed is accelerating their obsoleteness.

This x10.

Too much greed from the big studios is going to backfire on them.
It's causing the streaming companies to go into direct competition with them, and causing consumers to return to pirating.

I dropped Netflix years ago when their movie selection started to drop. Don't care for the original content or the TV shows (consider them a far second to the movies)
With the current movie selection being so limited, I don't see any reason to ever re-subscribe.

With Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage being so good, I haven't noticed the lack of movies. When I get totally caught up, that may be a different story.

Netflix Movie selection has sucked for a while, I gave up a few months ago. but now, they have robotech, so I might go back.

Looks like I need to take another look. And here I was mulling canceling.

2 at a time DVD plan + MakeMKV >>>>>>>>>>>> streaming plan.

Disk shows up, rip it, watch at my convenience on a device of my choosing, delete the files when I'm done. After a short while your backlog is bigger than you have time to watch, and you never have to worry about whether the content is available over streaming.

Except that's illegal....

People seem to have forgotten the deal they made with Disney - they are just making room.

Zootopia is the first current Disney movie to hit Netflix. You can expect the Marvel and Star Wars movies going forward will also be there. They are just clearing the way for Disney-owned content...

Just to add a little tinfoil hat spice to this thread, lets not forget who owns IMDB.

Just to add a little tinfoil hat spice to this thread, lets not forget who owns IMDB.

Amazon. :) I wonder what amount Amazon Prime has of the top 250 movies?

I watch older shows and a few movies. It's not the best selection, and nowhere near where it used to be. But, I'm happy. With the Netflix originals, old TV shows (currently binge watching Cheers), and good seasonal movies (Halloween time!), I'm doing just fine with Netflix.

I also have Amazon Prime, but I have a difficult time with it. Find a movie I want to watch, and it's $4.99.... I wish you could have a section that's just free with the Prime membership. I can't find the option on the Roku app and haven't tried it on the Xbox/PS4.

Back