Netflix May Edit Its Content Specifically for Mobile Users

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This news kind of pisses me off because it just reminds me how more and more content is being tailor-made for mobile, even though portables may be the worst way to experience something. It sounds to me like Netflix may just play around with aspect ratios and cropping for streams sent to smartphones and other mobile devices, but this could actually get out of hand—I would hate to be a director who has to compromise their artistic vision just to appeal to smaller screens…

…the company plans to explore streaming mobile-specific cuts of its original movies and TV shows, to satisfy what he said was a growing audience of mobile Netflix watchers. “It’s not inconceivable that you could take a master [copy] and make a different cut for mobile,” Hunt said. To date, Netflix hasn’t been delivering different cuts for different viewing platforms, Hunt said, but “it’s something we will explore over the next few years.” The idea to be would be to create a version of the content with scenes or shots that are more easily visible or immersive on a mobile phone, since certain shots can be hard to see or can appear diminished on a relatively small phone screen.

Dinky screen size is visual compression and makes the experience about as satisfying as listening to a 128Kbps MP3 encode with Lame 1.0. Go big or go home.

Take the money you're going to spend on that stupid idea, set it aside so you can not increase Netflix rates next year.

Much better use of resources, and keeps customers happy.

Hope they don't pull off the typical TV show fast forward kind of shit...

Went to HardOCP front page today on my mobile phone, it forced me to use the m.hardocp.com version (the mobile version is bland and ugly)
clicking on the Full Site option now does nothing :(

Went to HardOCP front page today on my mobile phone, it forced me to use the m.hardocp.com version (the mobile version is bland and ugly)
clicking on the Full Site option now does nothing :(

It's a responsive design, you have to use the browser menu > "request desktop site" option.

I'll be honest... I'm part of the guilty crew making Netflix think this is a good idea. I spend a good 14 hours+ a day out of my house; if I get a chance to view anything, its likely on a mobile device. I would much rather watch on a giant screen with great sound, but throw kids into the equation and I'm stuck watching animated movies most of the time anyway.

If only they'd edit Iron Fist and make it a great show, now that would really be worth something. :D

Terrible show, simply terrible, just my opinion so far after just the 1st episode and I don't think I'm going to waste any more bandwidth on the rest. Gotta wonder who the hell gave the OK to green-light this show as is, ugh.

Yes I realize this thread is mainly about their possible editing of the aspect ratios and resolutions of content, but even so, did I say "ugh"? :p

Dinky screen size is visual compression and makes the experience about as satisfying as listening to a 128Kbps MP3 encode with Lame 1.0. Go big or go home.

My 5.5" mobile screen in my hand appears the same size as a 40" TV mounted on the wall ~7 feet away...does my brain do some sort of "visual compression" when I realize I'm watching it on a physically smaller screen, even though the size is "the same"?

5.5" in my hand sure seems like a whole lot more...

Sorry, I read what you said there, buzzbomb, and the buried joke just wouldn't let go till I got it posted. :D

If only they'd edit Iron Fist and make it a great show, now that would really be worth something. :D

Terrible show, simply terrible, just my opinion so far after just the 1st episode and I don't think I'm going to waste any more bandwidth on the rest. Gotta wonder who the hell gave the OK to green-light this show as is, ugh.

Yes I realize this thread is mainly about their possible editing of the aspect ratios and resolutions of content, but even so, did I say "ugh"? :p
That's too bad. I thought Luke Cage was amazing.

I'd be fine with some minor cropping as long as it is optional. Kind of like the old DVDs that had both widescreen and 4:3 versions.

This content has be altered for your screen ( They cut out stuff)
This content has been altered for the time slot (They cut out stuff)
This content has been altered for ratings (They cut out stuff)
THis content has been alterad for mobiles experience... (they cut out stuff?)

Back