Netflix losing new release movies

novadude

[H]ard|Gawd
http://gizmodo.com/5441950/netflix-is-losing-new-release-rentals

Other studios will start negotiating the same thing by tomorrow morning I'm sure.
Add an extra month to my wait time for new releases? No thanks, I can get them from Redbox 2-3 months ahead of netflix anyways (they buy their discs at retail so none of this or the rental only disc missing everything but forced ads and the movie bullshit)

they make a shitload on movie rentals and that is not enough :rolleyes: you did this to yourselves, wrnr brs

This is just stupid. If there is a movie that I really want, I will go and buy it.

Well to be fair the idea is supposed to be that they will get a boatload of new content for instant streaming, And I am sure Netflix wants this as well because they usually have to order a boatload of DVDs and Blu Rays of new releases because that is what everyone seems to go for.

Netflix has 8 tons of stuff on it. Instead of going for the new stuff always how about watching some older goodies?

Older movies are one of the main reasons that I signed up with Netflix. I do also like the new releases also, I had to wait almost a week for Star Trek to come out, then I purchased the movie after the fact.

Well to be fair the idea is supposed to be that they will get a boatload of new content for instant streaming, And I am sure Netflix wants this as well because they usually have to order a boatload of DVDs and Blu Rays of new releases because that is what everyone seems to go for.

Netflix has 8 tons of stuff on it. Instead of going for the new stuff always how about watching some older goodies?

Until they add HD streaming to computers I won't care much about it.
As for watching old movies, that's been what I've been forced into since last summer when something changed on their end (read, throttling and or no longer considered a newish member) and newer movies at the top of my queue take three months to come off from Very Long Wait status. I'll probably just stop my subscription for a few months until a number of movies/box sets come out that I'd like to see, then maybe come back.

They expect this to help their DVD sales?
I just really think people don't want to buy DVD's anymore and I don't think this "waiting period" is gonna change anything.

When I had netflix I rarely added new releases to my queue since there were so many old ones I hadn't seen. I don't care to watch new movies right when they come out, I was always fine with watching it whenever. Nonetheless, it is still nice from time to time if there's one you really want to see. But after watching many movies I ran out of movies I wanted to watch, so I cancelled my account. Seems the biggest value netflix has atm is that their library is kindof nice.

Who cares, really. If I want it that bad I'll grab a pay per view from Comcast or Xbox Live. But if I've waitied the 6 months to a year for it to come out of the theater, whats another month? Besides, I've got 100+ movies in my que -- I'll just watch another one.

If I *HAVE* to see it now and I want the disk, there is always the amazon unbox service where you can buy the DVD and it gets added to your digital media so you can instantly stream it.

There are so many ways to watch movies these days, and so many at my fingertips, a month isn't going to matter much. People will bitch, though, becuase it's change and they feel they should be given the world for the $8 a month they're paying...

Who cares, really. If I want it that bad I'll grab a pay per view from Comcast or Xbox Live. But if I've waitied the 6 months to a year for it to come out of the theater, whats another month? Besides, I've got 100+ movies in my que -- I'll just watch another one.

If I *HAVE* to see it now and I want the disk, there is always the amazon unbox service where you can buy the DVD and it gets added to your digital media so you can instantly stream it.

There are so many ways to watch movies these days, and so many at my fingertips, a month isn't going to matter much. People will bitch, though, becuase it's change and they feel they should be given the world for the $8 a month they're paying...

This just makes me walk down the street to the redbox machine, which is actually half the distance to the post office and it's instant. If I'm renting it's because if I'd pay anything at all for the movie it will not be full price (I prefer to pay a dollar for renting a potentially disliked movie).
Despite having a record profit last year they still need more of our money so now they're going after renters.

The problem is these companies are anticipating physical media going by the wayside in favor of streaming. Which may or may not be the case, but a vast majority of America dosen't even know what the hell streaming is.

Which may or may not be the case, but a vast majority of America dosen't even know what the hell streaming is.

I know more people that know you can get netflix on your bluray player than thost that know what the benefits of having blu ray is. I think more people know about streaming video than what we think, they just don't know what it's called. All they know is that they plug the internet into their bluray player and they get to watch movies... and thats all that most people should need to know!

Once I started delving into netlfix library my list grew to the point that I cant keep up with new releases anyway. I would rather have the extra streaming. If there is a movie I wanted to see so bad that I needed it release day, I went to see it at the theater already so there really isnt a dvd out there that I am that desperate to see.

Streaming won't overtake physical media any time soon since a large chunk of America still can't get decent broadband access...

I think its dumb to put an arbitrary 28 day wait in for new releases. I'm still not going to buy or go out and see that movie. But Warner's streaming library they allegedly will be adding is huge... like larger than all of the existing streaming media on netflix put together. So we'll have to see if they deliver what they promise.

I think this is way dumb. I love the netflix streaming, but it is very limited in its movies. I get the most use out of it by watching TV Shows. If this gets more and better new release movies onto streaming though, I am down with it. It can take me 2 months as it is to get a new release since there is always a wait.

My guess is that netflix buys the new release movie that I am going to rent but NEVER buy. I am sure they don't run over to Best Buy and then put that copy in the disk duplicator.

How many thousands of copies does netflix buy from the studios? Even if it is at a discounted rate, its more than the studio will get from my pocket for not buying it.

*shrug*

I've only add three "Newly Released" title to my queue, got them all on the day of release:

Star Trek
Ironman
The Dark Knight

*shrug*

I've only add three "Newly Released" title to my queue, got them all on the day of release:

Star Trek
Ironman
The Dark Knight

That's lucky, it's happened to me once. Usually takes like 3-4 weeks for me to get something that isn't available.

I add them well in advance of the release and keep them at the top of my Q...I usually get them right away that way. of course I don't watch them for months so who cares.

All my movies are new releases. I already have over 400 in movies from BB.

I recently switched to Netflix because they closed down my local BB and I could stream from Netflix for free.

But lately all my new releases are all long waits. And hearing this, I just switched back to BB and every new release is being send to me and even on Blu-Ray.

How stupid are the studios?

This can only increase piracy. I for one don't buy a movie before seeing it. All you're doing is delaying that fact or driving up the rate people pirate movies.

Morons. :rolleyes:

Back